Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 09:51 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,733,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moekazi View Post
The only reason i can think of is because of the racists in the minorities make them do it.
The reason is that whites don't have to deal with institutional racism, while minorities are raised from birth to grave knowing true equality is just a dream.

Why else would a substantial part of the white majority wonder why minorities decry racism, yet actively maintain and make racist statements like the one you just wrote?

- - - - -

The white majority dealing with institutional racism is optional. You can dish it, but don't have to take it. (Must feel wonderful, huh?)

Thank you for justifying the need for such government census tracking.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 12-24-2010 at 10:18 PM..

Old 12-24-2010, 10:08 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,722,896 times
Race will probably always be an issue in this country simply b/c of our history. Census tracks plenty of other types of data that most find quite boring (e.g. percent of people who take the ferry to work) but ethnicity always gets a lot of attention.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:00 AM

13,443 posts, read 15,430,573 times
I think that the African-American and Hispanic middle class are branching out and thereby diversifying many places that were once predominately White. As a minority household ourselves who are solidly middle classed, we took our dollars to an area that offered solid school systems, reasonable housing prices, and low crime. There were many minorities that left traditionally minority areas not simply because "they no longer could afford it", but because their buying power increased. This happened to many neighborhoods in NYC...the more buying power minorities had, and the rise of the minority middle class, the greater the spread. I also think segregation has a lot to do with income levels even more so than race. In my neighborhood, it is a mixed bag, and you have Whites and minorities on a similar income plane. This is all based on our personal anecdotal experience.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:59 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,361,250 times
Strange, this article doesn't talk about Asians...Many of them came in Austin.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:04 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,959,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Because it drives our decisions, primarily the decisions made by anglos that are fleeing to places like Dripping Springs, Bee Caves, Lakeway, and Marble Falls - then **tching about how they are stuck in traffic for a hour each day at the "Y" in Oak Hill.

It drives sprawl, bad traffic, environmental degredation, and isolationism - mostly on the part of anglos in western Travis county.
Bingo, and it irritates me everyday that a lot of caucasians try to turn a blind eye to this and pretend it is something else. Just call it what it is, instead of giving a bunch of lip-service about diversity and equality then doing something else. I have more repect for people in the Ku Klux Klan than I do those that pretend to be naive about these sorts of things. At least the Klan member won't try to sugarcoat anything.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:22 PM

12 posts, read 44,466 times
Studies have shown that when a predominantly Anglo neighborhood tips on being 50 percent of the population--more whites begin to sell off there homes and move to whiter areas.

And why is it that when whites move in a minority neighborhood its called 'gentrification.' And when minorities move into a white neighborhood its called "diversification."

Why are schools with majority Hispanic populations labeled not good only because of demographics rather than test scores? Such as Akins High School, and others.

Among the 68 Exemplary and Recognized schools are 35 campuses have large/majority Hispanic student populations. These are Andrews, Becker, Blanton, Brooke, Cook, Dawson, Galindo, Graham, Harris, Hart, Houston, Jordan, Joslin, Linder, McBee, Metz, Norman, Oak Springs, Ortega, Overton, Palm, Perez, Pickle, Reilly, Ridgetop, Sanchez, Sims, St. Elmo, Sunset Valley, Travis Heights, Winn, Wooten and Zavala elementary schools, along with Dobie and Paredes middle schools.

Why are these schools considered "not good" when all evidence show otherwise?

We, as human beings, have issues.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:21 PM

543 posts, read 1,380,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwatch View Post
Studies have shown that when a predominantly Anglo neighborhood tips on being 50 percent of the population--more whites begin to sell off there homes and move to whiter areas.

And why is it that when whites move in a minority neighborhood its called 'gentrification.' And when minorities move into a white neighborhood its called "diversification."

Why are schools with majority Hispanic populations labeled not good only because of demographics rather than test scores? Such as Akins High School, and others.

Among the 68 Exemplary and Recognized schools are 35 campuses have large/majority Hispanic student populations. These are Andrews, Becker, Blanton, Brooke, Cook, Dawson, Galindo, Graham, Harris, Hart, Houston, Jordan, Joslin, Linder, McBee, Metz, Norman, Oak Springs, Ortega, Overton, Palm, Perez, Pickle, Reilly, Ridgetop, Sanchez, Sims, St. Elmo, Sunset Valley, Travis Heights, Winn, Wooten and Zavala elementary schools, along with Dobie and Paredes middle schools.

Why are these schools considered "not good" when all evidence show otherwise?

We, as human beings, have issues.
Amen to that.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:18 PM

228 posts, read 536,333 times
As someone with an abiding interest in demographics I simply find it interesting to see trends in race and ethnicity, and nothing more.

I don't believe it was mentioned in the article, but I think it's interesting to compare the components of overall metropolitan area growth in Austin.

Current estimates (American Community Survey) say greater Austin has grown by about 460,000 people from 2000 to 2009. Of that 460k,

194k are non-Hispanic white,
195k are Hispanic,
29k are African American,
36k are Asian American,

and the remainder are from other races.

It's particularly interesting to compare these numbers to other Texas metros, e.g., Dallas-Ft. Worth:

Total change: 1.3 million
Non-Hispanic white: 259k
Hispanic: 716k
African American: 188k
Asian American: 124k

Clearly, Hispanics represent a larger share of the growth in Dallas-Ft. Worth and this is indeed the case with larger metro areas (Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, etc., etc.)

Old 12-27-2010, 05:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,056,242 times
Some posts above were deleted. National politics are off topic in every local forum at City-Data, and there's absolutely no need for this thread to discuss them. There's plenty of useful and interesting ground to cover in a topic like this related to demographics.

Also, racism is a controversial topic. Be careful how you reply to posts about it, because your strongly-worded reply might be considered insulting and insults are against the TOS.

Last edited by Bo; 12-27-2010 at 05:30 PM..

Old 12-28-2010, 02:06 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,048,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Bingo, and it irritates me everyday that a lot of caucasians try to turn a blind eye to this and pretend it is something else. Just call it what it is, instead of giving a bunch of lip-service about diversity and equality then doing something else. I have more repect for people in the Ku Klux Klan than I do those that pretend to be naive about these sorts of things. At least the Klan member won't try to sugarcoat anything.
Seriously? Think about what you're writing. Do you really have more respect for a group of people who systematically terrorize people because of their ethnicity or religion than people that are simply clueless?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin