Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:11 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times

Advertisements

This is probably the most common question on these sites. But I've been floating around them for a few years now. For starters, I'm originally from TN and later moved first to MA and then CA. So basically going from small town USA to 2 major coastal areas.

The difference in the way people act in these places was fairly apparent to me right away: It seems like 50% or more of those living on the coasts- and particular the east coast- have future plans to leave for somewhere else and these days that "somewhere" often winds up being the South or Southeast. After seeing what its like on the coasts I can't really blame people for moving.

Someday I too will be "one of those people" but in my case it will be more like moving back home versus moving away. Hopefully I can move back before the Southeast also becomes overcrowded and expensive like everywhere else. So... just out of curiosity, why and where did you move from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 03:48 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,059 times
I moved from the mountains of western Massachusetts (nowhere near Boston).

Many of the reasons I moved here turned out to not be very good but moving here has been a good learning experience and life lesson to take when I move back to New England when money/economy allows.

1) The job situation in western MA is very bad if you don't want to work in retail. My father, who lives in Austin, convinced me that there were plenty of jobs to go around. I took his word for it. I was lucky and found a job quickly but now realize what a dumb move it was to come here without a job. I now feel stuck at my current job that doesn't offer much except for having a job.

2) Weather. I was tired of the cold winters and being stuck inside. Turns out the summers are too hot here and I am stuck inside with the blinds closed all summer then short days all winter. I have probably 8 comfortable weeks for me here.

3) Food. There weren't many good places to get food in my small town. When I would visit Austin we would go to some really good places to eat. I expected it to be the norm. Now I end up disappointed in a lot of restaurants whenever I try one not on my go-to list. Basically I have traded pizza for barbecue.

4) Cost of living. This may be hard for many to believe but the taxes in Texas are a bigger burden on me than they would be in MA. Living in the city I also get nickel and dimed to death by all the other bills I didn't have up there like refuse removal. The houses, while much newer, seem to be built of much lower quality down here. I would not expect the house I bought here to last 100 years like many houses up there.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:50 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
So... just out of curiosity, why and where did you move from?
I moved from Dallas. First reason would be that Austin is the size of the Dallas that I knew growing up in the 80's... the current sprawl of Dallas and amount of concrete was becoming too much, and it irritated me how complacent and ignorant the people of Dallas had become about it. The second reason is that I feel like I missed the cheap central city RE opportunities in Dallas, so it makes better sense from an investment point of view to move within a fast-growing city, now that I know what to expect based on it's larger siblings - being able to recognize undervalued/overvalued property, and taking advantage of it. Third reason is the QOL - I can now live in an actual nice house, closer into town without having to give up something as I would have in Dallas - poorer quality, higher price, far from amenities, etc.. I also feel it offers a better standard of living, and better cultural prospects for my kids.

Last edited by jobert; 12-29-2010 at 04:05 PM..

Old 12-29-2010, 03:57 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I grew up on the Texas Gulf Coast (including Houston) and after I got married, we moved to Denver. When we decided to move back to Texas, we picked the Austin area because my sister was here, and secondly, it wasn't as much culture shock for us to move here from Denver as it would have been going back to Houston. Houston was just too big and flat and concrete-y for us. The only place we would have moved back to in Houston would be the Clear Lake/Seabrook area.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:32 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
I was born in Corpus Christi but grew up in San Diego CA. Navy brat. Moved back to Corpus in 1982 when my Dad was stationed there and enrolled in College. After two years was taking a break from school and working, and my best friend, who had moved to Austin chasing construction work, came back and said "dude, you need to move to Austin". I gave my two week notice and moved here in 1985 and never left.

After graduating UT, I took a lower paying job in Austin to stay here. Glad I did. I can't think of a better city to live, raise kids, own a business and have fun. The heat never bothers me, so I guess I'm lucky. The allergies are another story, but even the bad years don't drive me away.

Steve

Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 PM

54 posts, read 182,675 times
I moved to Austin (bordering Round Rock) from the Seattle area. I couldn't stand 10 months of rain anymore. I chose Austin because it was quirky like Seattle, but with over 300 days of sun per year. Seattle has over 300 days of rain. It also fit the criteria of great public schools for the kids, and having high tech jobs available.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:50 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
Grew up in Dallas and San Antonio (divorced parents, I knew the flight crews on Southwest for awhile there!) then lived full time in SA moved out of state for a few years came back here as fast as a job would let me! Moved to SA then up here to the Austin area due to Mr.s job.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:44 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Grew up in the midwest and went to college in Iowa, moved to Austin at 22 to attend graduate school with a boy friend in tow! We did not like Austin or Texas much the first two years but it slowly grew on us. Married the boyfriend, worked overseas, hubby got a job in Austin in the booming tech industry during the 90s. I kept working here and abroad. Had old friends move to Austin, developed other close friends, Austin started to feel like home. Then, started having kids, bought a house, etc.

Now we wouldn't live anywhere else!

Old 12-30-2010, 08:31 AM

113 posts, read 371,511 times
Moving to Austin for my husband's job, but it's where we want to be. We both grew up in Louisiana. I'm moving to Austin via New Orleans, England, France, Spain, Vermont, San Francisco, Kansas City and Ohio. Looking forward to the weather, friendliness of the south, music scene, friends nearby. There are few places I would choose to live in the U.S. Austin is top of the list. Great for kids too and reasonable cost of living.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:23 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
Its a little surprising to see that 50% of those that have answered so far are from TX. I would've expected more like 80% coming from either the East Coast or West Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin