U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-15-2009, 06:52 PM

14,530 posts, read 21,176,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotskid27 View Post
YUP...you are so right on that!! What we got here is the worst possible example of design by committee.
Reminds me of a conversation I had once with one of the land development permit people for Austin. When I complained that the ordinances made no sense, often conflicting with each other, he pointed out that:

"It is a mistake to expect them to make sense. They were often developed and passed by different City Councils with different priorities and agendas, at different points in time. It is unreasonable to expect laws resulting from all those conflicting agenda's to "make sense".

Yet this is the political system we have, and the resulting laws we have to live with.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 10:55 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,591,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm1984 View Post
It's called "Loop 360" because the definition of a "Loop" according to TXDOT is a state-funded highway which connects 2 other highways. Loop 360 connects US290/SH71 in south Austin to US183 in north Austin. Austin also has Loop 343 which connects US290/SH71 to US290/I-35 via South Lamar and Ceser Chavez. And of course, Loop 1 (Mopac) which connects SH45 south to SH 45 north. And there's a couple more, Loop 275 (which connects I-35 south to I-35 north, except the middle portion was removed from the highway system) and Loop 111 (connects US 183 to FM 969 -- used to connect it to I-35 until a couple years ago). Kind of weird terminology I know... Some cities also have "spurs" which are similar to loops but rather than connect 2 highways, they are just a state-funded "branch" (aka spur) off of 1 highway that usually end at a road which is not part of the highway system. Although sometimes roads that are technically "loops" are designated as "spurs" for some reason (ex. Spur 484 in Waco has signs that call it both Loop 484 and Spur 484 along the short highway), even though they really aren't. Rarely is it the other way around though.

...just a little random knowledge for you there.
Thanks for the lesson of the day...I'm hoping the OP has things figured out since the last post previous to yours was well over two years old.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:44 PM

39 posts, read 42,865 times
Houston, Dallas and San Antonio get all the funding. I almost get mad when I drive on their freeways and notice the difference in funding and how they are all finished and have full interchanges etc...

Old 09-16-2009, 03:57 PM

4,645 posts, read 6,437,770 times
360 was built during the nine years I lived away from Austin between 1976 and 1985. Although 360 is a beautiful road, I would've preferred to have the unspoiled hills and no 360 and no houses hanging off the sides of the hills (also thrown up during those nine years to a great extent).

Old 09-16-2009, 04:15 PM

6,873 posts, read 10,858,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
360 was built during the nine years I lived away from Austin between 1976 and 1985. Although 360 is a beautiful road, I would've preferred to have the unspoiled hills and no 360 and no houses hanging off the sides of the hills (also thrown up during those nine years to a great extent).
I know it's not a particularly green point of view, but I have always loved the look of those houses hanging off the hills around 360. It creates a kind of urban hilly scene that is not really duplicated anywhere else in Texas. Ever since I moved to Austin in '89, I've always wanted to live there, and now I do.

There are many, many newer homes on those hills than the ones built from 1976 to 1985... tons of Mediterranean style homes now, as well as office buildings. Personally, I prefer the 80's style hillside homes -- perhaps just because those are the ones I remember as being so cool back in the day. I'm probably the only one that likes them... for now. They all seemed to be built like tree houses, multi-level and with some strange (and not so useful) floor plans. Steep driveways that will kill your clutch or brakes. But nice views and decks. Although I don't think these types of homes were built with any particular attention to a "style", because of the unique-to-Texas urban hill setting, the "style" ends up being something that is only found in Austin (maybe a few in SA). I like that about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin