Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:41 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times

Advertisements

that I have come across while driving seems not to have been finished for some reason so therefore( it seems to be always the direction that I want to go) I have to get off, sit thru a light a couple of times then back on to the other freeway? I am used to freeways taking forever, from SA where we are the king of the long drawn out freeway projects but the flyovers that are missing are strange to see with no men or trucks or anything around! And why is loop 360 called that when it only goes around half the city?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 12:27 PM

23 posts, read 138,562 times
Complain to TXDOT...the more complaints they get, the faster they should get on it...let's hope anyway

Old 07-15-2007, 05:39 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I remember while we were living in Denver, they had a "loop" that didn't go around the city. Right before we left, they were working on finishing it, but it had been unchanged for many years before that.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:21 AM

106 posts, read 476,004 times
We had one of those sorts of projects in New Haven... a "major" expressway that was all of two exits for the whole of my 20+ years living there.

Of course, the INSTANT I put my house on the market, they started work on it. Wow, what power I have!

Mebbe I can get up a collection to get me to leave Austin that'll get all the unfinished projects done?

TX Griff

Old 07-16-2007, 06:47 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
An overly simply answer....Austin is still a mid-sized city and only receives a certain amount of priority when receiving highway funding - the money will only come so fast, so although there are a huge number of projects that need to be done, they can only do a few at a time.

Regarding the partial projects: the funding issue is one reason. The city (state) determined which were the most important interchanges and finished those before moving on to other more important interchanges to finish with the limited budget. The second reason is a more entertaining story. The new airport was going to be out toward Manor or somewhere further east, I think. The highway planning based projects on that assumption. Then, at the last minute, the USAF moved out of Bergstrom and the new Austin airport went there, throwing all the highway planning off. You would not believe the bureacracy needed to change projects, but some did, which left others half finished.

More entertaining was the land speculators that got crushed by the airport's last minute location 'change' (although none had been officially selected).

Old 07-16-2007, 07:13 AM

164 posts, read 727,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
More entertaining was the land speculators that got crushed by the airport's last minute location 'change' (although none had been officially selected).
LOL! I remember that. What a hoot to hear the speculators try to rationale why the airport should be built in Manor instead of simply moved to an already fine location at the base. A few politicians and land-grabbers lost out on that deal, but perhaps they recouped with the growth of Austin.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:45 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
Thanks everyone!

Train, you esp! I sometimes feel so lost here since I only know half of Austin's history! My mom and her family is from here so I know Austin, sort of that way and sort of just by living in SA!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:03 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
What a hoot to hear the speculators try to rationale why the airport should be built in Manor instead of simply moved to an already fine location at the base
Hehe...I was thinking about that exactly. All the radio ads and even some TV ads on why Bergstrom was a bad idea. It was very funny, because there were so few even plausible reasons that it should not go there. I wish I could remember some of the excuses - they were so far fetched - but I remember thinking "these people must be desperate to spend money trying to convince me of that!".

Back on to highway funging - for those new to Austin, it is often 'picked on' in the legislature because it is so 'liberal' in politics. You can argue that it deserves the picking on that it gets or that it doesn't, but the result is that sometimes Austin ends up with the short end of the stick come time to hand out money.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:19 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivy_trick_mess View Post
Complain to TXDOT...the more complaints they get, the faster they should get on it...let's hope anyway
Amen to that! TXDOT has to be the most incompetent bureaucracy I've ever encountered, and I live close enough to their offices that I should be down there picketing every day.

Freeways are designed so ineptly in Austin, it's hard to imagine what was going on in the minds of the people who designed them.

But in defense of TXDOT, I think a big part of the problem is the Texas state legislature. They're scared to death of taxing gasoline at a higher rate, or expanding public works projects, and they all hate Austin because we're too liberal. There have been many state legislative actions taken against Austin because they don't want us to have control of our natural environment, and they seem to want to punish us for refusing to vote with the hyper-right-wing majority of the rest of the state.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:41 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,626,918 times
After reviewing the engineer profiles on TXDOT, most of the staff started school but never finished...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin