Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 07:13 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
I agree with Steve. Large yards are WAY overrated. I have an acre and we will downsize and move into town in a couple of years. Really looking forward to it. The yard work is constant and neverending. Every spring I fill at least two 14' trailers with trimmings. I spend so much money just on hauling away trimmings or renting a mulcher, it's ridiculous. I'm already dreading next month when I'm at it again. Have at least two 20' trees to remove that died along with some shrubbery in addition to the regular trimming.

Anyone interested in gardening, you don't need space for that. Research "square foot gardening". We have done that method the past year and in our two 4'x4' boxes, we produce far more vegetables that our family of 3 can possibly consume.
thanks for the tip. we're thinking about 1/4 acre is plenty for us. but we also feel 2000ish sf is plenty of room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 07:19 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
We have lived in Barton Hills on what, on the face of it, is a relatively large lot, but it's terraced in front down the hill and goes up a cliff face in back, so not so large. Very little actual "yard" at all (though the terraces took quite a bit of attention to keep tidy).

Moved out to the country on 55 acres. If we ever move back into town due to age or health reasons, we will not be moving back into that lovely, convenient house right on the green belt. Don't think we could live that close to neighbors again without hurting someone, frankly. Amazing how much more relaxed I am with the closest, across-the-street neighbor over a quarter mile away from our house (closer to half a mile, because our drive is a quarter mile long and his is almost that long).

I have my eye on a couple of neighborhoods in Georgetown that we could live in relatively happily, where the lots are about an acre or more, but close to medical facilities, shopping, movies, etc. Just in case.

I absolutely get where the OP is coming from.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:30 PM

42 posts, read 79,560 times
HA! That's a laugh. I've yet to see a listing in Las Vegas that provides even a half an acre. Unless you want a much older home in "farm" zone areas. The MLS listings post the land by "square feet"! I've been to an open house for at the time was multi-million dollar homes (it was a public venue) and those homes were on lots of less than half an acre. If you want a home with considerable amount of land, then be ready to live on the outskirts or outside of the city limits. You then have to consider: if you're going to get a mobile home or slab construction home placed on it; plumbing, electric, and all the other utilities. If you can find new built homes on an acre or more please list that link!

Old 01-01-2011, 01:36 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Obviously different strokes for different folks.

If you hate yardwork, don't have a yard. Unless your HOA requires it, don't plant St. Augustine or any lawn grass at all.

I enjoy certain kinds of outdoor work. So trimming trees, etc. are good exercise for me.

I don't want to live right next to my neighbors. I like a bit of privacy so space is important to me. I also like some peace and quiet. My home feels like my place, not someone else's.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:55 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Yeah, I agree that people are really varied in their yard requirements. I am personally not big into lawns, and would just as soon have a wildland front yard (obviously not allowed by most HOAs.) I need some space in the back yard for gardening (fruits and veggies), and enough room to not feel crowded. Wanting at least a quarter acre lot does not mean that I want a quarter acre lawn!

Old 01-01-2011, 06:52 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Most of the newer areas I see have large homes on small lots. I am amazed that buyers of 5BR 5000 sq. ft. homes don't seem to want a yard for the kids that live in those massive bedrooms.

But many homes in Lakeway have good sized lots. The Uplands is more expensive and has some very good sized lots.
5000 sq. ft. homes are typically on 1 acre plus lots in Austin. They aren't on the small lots. That's a bit of an exaggeration!

Old 01-01-2011, 07:08 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
5000 sq. ft. homes are typically on 1 acre plus lots in Austin. They aren't on the small lots. That's a bit of an exaggeration!
Yes, that is a bit exaggerated, but I have been in 3,500 sq ft homes with maybe .17 acres, which is tiny for that size of house.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Not necessarily. I've seen quite a few 5,000 sq. ft. homes in 1/2 acre lots. A quick look at the MLS shows that there are 23 homes of 5,000 sq. ft. or larger on lots of 1/2 acre or less either currently on the market or having sold in the last 60 days. Those are the ones with Austin, Texas, addresses. If you add in the immediately surrounding areas that number jumps up to 43.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:08 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
OK - I concede a bit of an exaggeration. But so many newer "large" homes are built on amazingly small lots. Some of the lots may not be small in measured acreage - but they are long and narrow, putting the homes very close together.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:05 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
There's a little-known neighborhood west of Round Rock on the north side of Brushy creek called Tonkawa Springs - the lots are about 2-5 acres and most of the custom built homes (not McMansions) there went up in the 1970s-1990.
Some folks keep a horse or two on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin