Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 03:45 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,640,824 times

Advertisements

I just want a "normal" sized .3/.4 lot but in Bee Cave... without spending $3m. Might as well move to CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 09:05 PM

31 posts, read 84,971 times
There are 6-11 acre lots on Hamilton Pool Rd. approx. 1 mile from Highway 71. They are asking $299,000 for the lots, but they all back to a creek and preserve land. The lots are all flat too.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,986,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
This discussion seems to be all about the fact that different folks have different needs/expectations in their homes and yards. ...
And, from my vantage point both personally and professionally, many people find that what they thought they wanted (giant yard or acreage) wasn't all that great in the end.

The funny thing is, most people, even in the large acreage neighborhoods, stay inside most of the time, thus rendering the "breathing space" a moot point except maybe for the aesthetic pleasure of seeing distance between houses while pulling in and out of the driveway.

Steve

Old 01-06-2011, 06:09 AM

113 posts, read 370,312 times
We've always lived in cities so are used to close neighbors. That said, I can't stomach the suburbs with the houses close together. I don't mind it in town where I can walk places but if I live out of the center, I'd like some space.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:31 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,160,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino5 View Post
We've always lived in cities so are used to close neighbors. That said, I can't stomach the suburbs with the houses close together. I don't mind it in town where I can walk places but if I live out of the center, I'd like some space.
my thoughts exactly. although I also agree with steve. I don't need a HUGE lot/yard, but a huge house on a postage stamp with a little strip of grass just isn't going to cut it for me.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
my thoughts exactly. although I also agree with steve. I don't need a HUGE lot/yard, but a huge house on a postage stamp with a little strip of grass just isn't going to cut it for me.
I also agree. I'm having a hard time finding a happy medium though. It's postage stamp or acres (at least where we are looking now). 1/3 to 1/2 of an acre would be plenty. (Great if it would back to greenbelt for views, since we are looking in the 'burbs for proximity to work.) This is off topic but is anyone moving to Austin having a hard time finding the right 'style.' Am I just picky? I HATE the style of the houses here. Even the new houses look like they were building in the '80s or '90s. I'm going to lose it if I see another coffered ceiling (new to my vocab)! We are really thinking of a lease then building something ourselves. Hate to add to the sprawl, but...

Old 01-06-2011, 09:03 AM

3,982 posts, read 6,698,490 times
Quote:
I also agree. I'm having a hard time finding a happy medium though. It's postage stamp or acres (at least where we are looking now). 1/3 to 1/2 of an acre would be plenty. (Great if it would back to greenbelt for views, since we are looking in the 'burbs for proximity to work.) This is off topic but is anyone moving to Austin having a hard time finding the right 'style.' Am I just picky? I HATE the style of the houses here. Even the new houses look like they were building in the '80s or '90s. I'm going to lose it if I see another coffered ceiling (new to my vocab)! We are really thinking of a lease then building something ourselves. Hate to add to the sprawl, but...
Then look at buying an infill lot and build the architectural style you want. Or just buy a home in an older neighborhood and rehab it. Most people don't realize it but there is plenty of undeveloped land within city limits that is not over the aquifer and is zoned for residential. Sprawl happens when people want their cake and eat it too.................

Old 01-06-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Then look at buying an infill lot and build the architectural style you want. Or just buy a home in an older neighborhood and rehab it. Most people don't realize it but there is plenty of undeveloped land within city limits that is not over the aquifer and is zoned for residential. Sprawl happens when people want their cake and eat it too.................
We could easily find something in the city limits that we want, that would be ideal. It's just that we need to be within an easy commute of San Marcos and can't live that far in. We're having a hard time finding something in between.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:36 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,197,233 times
What are your requirements? What are your commutes? What kind of house, exactly, are you looking for?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 AM

3,202 posts, read 5,986,656 times
Quote:
This is off topic but is anyone moving to Austin having a hard time finding the right 'style.' Am I just picky? I HATE the style of the houses here.
Unfortunately the landscape is dominated by Neo-Colonial and Craftsman, with the later becoming more popular recently. One twist on these styles, though - pretty much everyone has masonry exterior, which would cost an arm and a leg anywhere else but central texas. In Dallas, nobody had masonry except in the more expensive neighborhoods (500K+). I like that it's an affordable luxury here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin