Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 04:53 PM

6 posts, read 14,669 times

Advertisements

HELP! My family and I desperately want out of California, once and for all (she was born and raised along the Gulf Coast of TX, then married me--born and raised in Southern Cal'--and relocated with her husband, me, to So' Cal' in 1990, and we've been in the High Desert region just off of I-15 since that time). We are considering five different regions of Texas to relocate to within the next twelve months: El Paso, Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston/Galveston. Currently, I'm unemployed in So' Cal', but have my own entertainment company where I sing all kinds of music, I write music, I do voice-overs, and I write (political/social commentary and short stories). I can take temp' work 'til something worthwhile in music, singing/emceeing and/or writing comes along, and will do whatever it is I have to do to escape So' Cal' and an out-of-control state government and liberal-minded electorate (just not the same ol' So' Cal' I remember growing up with). Any suggestions, web sites, books, and/or publications to check out to help us decide where to move to in Texas (El Paso, Dallas/Fort Worth, San Antonio, or Houston/Galveston)? Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 06:03 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
"I can take temp' work 'til something worthwhile in music, singing/emceeing and/or writing comes along."

Really it depends what kind of work you're looking to do and whether you can find a job. The things you listed (music, singing, writing) tend to be areas where it's really hard to make a living even in a good economy. I wouldn't move anywhere until you have secured some sort of stable job.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:39 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Unfortunately, it's hard to give a recommendation without knowing what kind of budget that you'll have for rent or if you plan on buying a home. I would imagine that Austin and Dallas housing will be more expensive than the current situation in Victorville.

El Paso is probably closest to what you're used to in Victorville, but El Paso is at least 4 hours further away from everywhere else while you could be in Pasadena from Victorville in just a couple hours. I guess if you have more of a Victorville budget, then you'll probably have an easier time in Houston/Galveston or San Antonio. I think it's tough to recommend El Paso unless you have a real reason to be there.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:18 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
If you have a Master's degree to go with your resume, you might possibly get a job waiting tables in Austin....maybe.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
See the comparison that I did between Oxnard Ca and Fort Worth, TX here: Help me convince my love!

You can find similar demographic data for any Texas city here http://www.city-data.com/city/Texas.html

Austin is considered very liberal by Texas standards, but will probably seem pretty conservative compared to So. Cal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin