Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 01:30 PM

42 posts, read 79,399 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if storm cellars and/or basements "the norm" for homes in the Austin area? What about attic space (that could be converted into living space)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 01:37 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,827,038 times
I have never seen a storm cellar in Austin, but I'm sure there area few around. Basements are likewise rare. Much of the area has a lot of limestone in the soil making it hard and expensive to excavate. Also tornados are not that common here so most people don't feel any need for storm cellars. In 33 years in Austin I have only seen 1 tornado, it did not do any damage. Another one I did not see, touched down in my neighborhood, but did very little damage. Hailstorms usually do more damage each year in Austin.

Not many houses have a steep enough pitch on the roof to allow adding additional living space in the attic. But I'm sure there are a few around that do. The house I currently live in could accommodate a couple of rooms being added in the attic, but I don't need the space, I like the current layout and would not want to alter it to accommodate a stair.

I'm sure if you looked a bit you could find one that you could remodel to add a couple of rooms in the attic.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:47 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,017,348 times
There are code requirements for attic space, egress etc. Don't forget to insulate like crazy.

Many people have ductwork and AC units in their attics, so making them into living space is impractical.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,125,061 times
No they are not the norm in Austin.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:51 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,563,841 times
No, I've never seen a storm cellar or basement in Austin, nor an attic that could be used as living space (particularly when it gets so hot here.) Probably some exist, but they're not common. There really aren't that many tornadoes in Austin (knock on wood.)

Old 01-02-2011, 07:27 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,787,882 times
Basements are definitely not the norm in Austin, or most places in Texas for that matter. Lots of sloped lots with what some people would call "walk out" basements, but if they are air conditioned (and they all are), those are considered part of the square footage of the house... not bonus space like they might be in other parts of the country.

Not sure about the attics; I know there are many that are used for storage, and probably some with liveable space. But it would be tough in the summer unless they are well insulated and air conditioned, as centralaustinite indicated...

Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,178,837 times
We have a storm shelter, but we live out in the country 40 miles north of Austin. We only got one after the F5 came through.

Our attic could easily be finished out to make a big room, and I've seen quite a few houses of the same vintage that have same (early 20th century, built sometime between 1900-1930). You are more likely to find those, though, in older houses in more central neighborhoods. Sometimes they are entire one-bedroom apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin