U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 06:39 PM

321 posts, read 585,437 times

Advertisements

Newest timelapse video of the construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 01:38 PM

247 posts, read 665,076 times
I was curious about the noise question so I gathered some data and created a SoundPLAN model of the track and area. I posted the model's results at Austin Noise.

Those cars are really, really loud. This is actually a very conservative model and I would expect real-life levels to be easily 5 dBA or more higher. If there is anyone living near the track that wants to stay in their house and isn't interested in hearing race car noises all day, there is potential for some real annoyance.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:17 PM

7,079 posts, read 14,528,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMen View Post
I was curious about the noise question so I gathered some data and created a SoundPLAN model of the track and area. I posted the model's results at Austin Noise.

Those cars are really, really loud. This is actually a very conservative model and I would expect real-life levels to be easily 5 dBA or more higher. If there is anyone living near the track that wants to stay in their house and isn't interested in hearing race car noises all day, there is potential for some real annoyance.
How does that compare to the noise from daily jet traffic at nearby ABIA?

Old 07-07-2011, 04:56 PM

247 posts, read 665,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
How does that compare to the noise from daily jet traffic at nearby ABIA?
Very good question.

It's difficult to make an apples to apples comparison, since noise data from ABIA is going to come in the form of a DNL (day-night level) contour, which is a 24-hour figure that has special weighting for night-time traffic. My study examined only exposure to a single event.

However, the 65 DNL contour for ABIA is over 2.5 miles away from the east side of the CotA track. This indicates that it is very unlikely that any aircraft events occur in this area that result in any noise exposure that is even close to comparable to SPL of 80+ dBA. Just by glancing at the map, I would think the loudest aircraft events over there are maybe 45 to 50 dBA.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMen View Post
Very good question.

It's difficult to make an apples to apples comparison, since noise data from ABIA is going to come in the form of a DNL (day-night level) contour, which is a 24-hour figure that has special weighting for night-time traffic. My study examined only exposure to a single event.

However, the 65 DNL contour for ABIA is over 2.5 miles away from the east side of the CotA track. This indicates that it is very unlikely that any aircraft events occur in this area that result in any noise exposure that is even close to comparable to SPL of 80+ dBA. Just by glancing at the map, I would think the loudest aircraft events over there are maybe 45 to 50 dBA.
Thanks, that's good info. I can understand how it would be hard to compare the noise of a jet passing over, which might last 30 seconds or so (but happens throughout the day) with 2-3 hours of a constant F1 car noise.

If I might be so bold, I think you should add the airport info you have above to your article. I'm sure other people might like to understand how that compares.

I guess on the plus side, the owners of the homes closest to CoTA could probably rent them out for the F1 race and go to Hawaii for a week on the proceeds... possibly with some money left over. Of course, the other races would be a different story.

On a related note, has any realtor looked at the pricing of single family homes right near the track? I know empty land values have more than doubled, but what about the actual homes that people live in? Are they going up or down in price?

Old 07-07-2011, 06:27 PM

6,859 posts, read 6,365,859 times
Most of the homes east of McAngus Road are trailers and low end properties - hardly the type of accomodations that jet setters would rent for several thousand bucks.

Just sayin'

Old 07-07-2011, 08:00 PM

75 posts, read 150,109 times
Quote:
Also, the rules of the METF specify that the fund will consist of incremental tax revenue in the form of sales tax, hotel bed tax, airport fees, liquor tax, etc which is received through these major events from out-of-town visitors. Are you suggesting we return money to those folks, the "rightful owners" of that sales tax they paid?
No. I believe whatever remaining funds in the METF should be used to offset the amount of taxes that the residents of Texas pay towards the State. I'm not necessarily promoting a particular re-distribution model of the METF funds as I am demanding that this slush fund get shut down. I think it's more important to shut it down now, rather than figure out the best and fairest way to re-distribute what funds remain.

Quote:
Isn't that exactly what we do when we waive $4.3M in taxes/fees for a convention center hotel? Or bigger amounts for the Domain, or Samsung? Isn't that "cutting taxes dramatically" or is that corporate welfare?
Those are all examples of corporate welfare and corporate favoritism. I am suggesting a fairer model where each taxpayer gets treated equally, instead of giving tax breaks to high-end shopping centers and giving nothing to local small business owners (as an example).

Quote:
That is true of every expenditure of taxes in the entire state. Whether it's funds to build highways, school funding, pensions, etc -- playing favorites with the tax money is the PRIMARY way that politicians curry favor with corporate donors, unions, political groups, etc. This fund is no different than anything else we spend money on, really.
No, it is somewhat different than the things you mention. In many of those cases, the funding is dictated by population or specific circumstances which are beyond the control of politicians. In the case of the METF, it is merely the *whims* of the politicians which decides who gets funding and who does not. There are supposed "rules" in place for the fund, but as we saw in a recent court ruling, those rules are easily ignored. That type of slush fund is open to abuse. I would not be surprised to read of a scandal involving top state officials and the METF fund in the coming years.

Quote:
Heck, in reality the METF money probably going to be *less* wasted since it goes to a private entity -- Formula 1 is owned by a private equity group in called CVC, which was formerly Citigroup, which has a majority US presence. CVC equity fund is owned by (among other funds) the Texas Teachers Retirement Fund.
I suspect most of the $25M/yr will be going into Bernie Ecclestone's pocket, and he doesn't live in Texas. His daughter recently bought a $150M mansion in the US. I wonder if we really need to be subsidizing that?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:11 PM

75 posts, read 150,109 times
Quote:
Maybe you are different, and you are really against every tax subsidy for every entity out there And you vote straight libertarian ticket, so you aren't supporting these projects with your vote. Great if you do that. But I suspect most people complaining about Formula 1 just don't like it.
I think you would be wrong to say that most people don't like F1. I've been to Daytona/Rolex several times, Laguna Seca for the historic races and the sports car races, and drove down to the Houston street race a few years back. I'll probably go see F1 if it does happen here, but I don't expect the taxpayers of this State to help subsidize my hobbies and interests. And I suspect most other opponents of this slush fund feel the same way.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin944 View Post
No. I believe whatever remaining funds in the METF should be used to offset the amount of taxes that the residents of Texas pay towards the State. I'm not necessarily promoting a particular re-distribution model of the METF funds as I am demanding that this slush fund get shut down. I think it's more important to shut it down now, rather than figure out the best and fairest way to re-distribute what funds remain.
I get where you are coming from, really. Shut down the METF, ETF, SpETF, MSRTF, TEF, and all the similar state programs which are intended to attract businesses or events to the state. It has nothing to do with F1 in particular, right? I can respect that view, as long as you apply it to every such fund. That's a key element of Libertarian platform, BTW.

Quote:
Those are all examples of corporate welfare and corporate favoritism. I am suggesting a fairer model where each taxpayer gets treated equally, instead of giving tax breaks to high-end shopping centers and giving nothing to local small business owners (as an example).
Gotcha. No tax breaks for specific big companies but tax breaks for everyone equally. I think that's a great idea. Why do you think it's not happening?

Quote:
I would not be surprised to read of a scandal involving top state officials and the METF fund in the coming years.
Look up the TEF sometime. It's already full of scandals, it's larger and has been around longer than the METF, and it doesn't even fund itself with incremental tax revenues that are supposedly based on the fund's investments. If you dislike/distrust the METF, you will be absolutely aghast at the TEF.

Quote:
I suspect most of the $25M/yr will be going into Bernie Ecclestone's pocket, and he doesn't live in Texas. His daughter recently bought a $150M mansion in the US. I wonder if we really need to be subsidizing that?
Wait, what? I thought it wasn't about Formula 1, you just dislike all those subsidizing funds.

Anyway, you read all over the place that "The money is going into Bernie's pocket, look at his daughter's mansion, etc"... but is it really true? Likely not. Bernie is indeed the boss of Formula 1, and has a practically dictatorial role in it's operations. But Formula 1 was sold by Bernie to CVC Capital Partners years ago, and they are the majority shareholders of Formula 1 (and Bernie's employer). Bernie still has a small share, but there is no way the corporation would let him keep a majority of their revenue. It makes no sense.

Did you check out that link showing that the Texas teacher's retirement fund (taxpayer money) owns about $1.7B of CVC Capital Equity's shares? Curious what you think about that?

Old 07-10-2011, 08:08 PM

3,213 posts, read 4,472,492 times
Sergio Perez of Mexico finished 7th today at the UK Grand Prix. If he races next year, and I expect he will, look for lots of Mexican Nationals making a visit to Austin to watch him. Having F1 so close to Mexico is one of the reasons the race is in Texas. Now they just need an American driver to assure fan interest, but that's easier said than done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin