Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 03:04 PM

3,202 posts, read 5,990,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
There will be a new SW HS at some point in the near future.
You're sure about that..with the budget shortfall? I think AISD is rigging up the smoke-and-mirrors to get through the next 2 years, maybe more. I'd like an elementary school for Far SE Austin while we're at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 03:36 PM

15,242 posts, read 35,458,827 times
Near is a relative term .

The problem is the drifting demographics in any given area - currently, some central areas have a low child/sq.mile density, or at least lower than they have been in the past. The outlying areas have an increase c/s-m density. The only problem is, schools don't drift. The city council is working at getting families to move to more central areas, and you need good schools to accomplish that, so closing them works counter to the cities stated goals. But how do you bridge the time gap or current reality?

It is pretty clear that in an expense-free world, a new HS would get built somewhere SW. But AISD has a long lead time on these things, and if they were going to build a new one within about 4 years, they would have to start right now, and that ain't gonna happen.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:05 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,727,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Near is a relative term .

The problem is the drifting demographics in any given area - currently, some central areas have a low child/sq.mile density, or at least lower than they have been in the past. The outlying areas have an increase c/s-m density. The only problem is, schools don't drift. The city council is working at getting families to move to more central areas, and you need good schools to accomplish that, so closing them works counter to the cities stated goals. But how do you bridge the time gap or current reality?

It is pretty clear that in an expense-free world, a new HS would get built somewhere SW. But AISD has a long lead time on these things, and if they were going to build a new one within about 4 years, they would have to start right now, and that ain't gonna happen.
The population growth bubble in SW Austin no doubt could be a consideraton as to why the school board decided to act now to 'fix' AISD's budget shortfall - outstanding since 2007. Part of the money for the new SW and S schools could be raised with the cost savings from the closures and consolidations. Do not be surprised if (in late 2011 or sometime in 2012), an new AISD school bond is proposed to partially pay for the new buildings.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:45 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,032,991 times
I don't have the energy to drag myself through AISD data on the web, but I think that the land is already purchased? Bond issue passed? There is definitely a long, long lead time for HS construction and I think that process is underway but probably not set in stone but I think that they are 5-7 years in.

I'm definitely the wrong person to ask, I don't even really know where Circle C is, my Austin pretty much ends at the intersection of Mopac and Ben White.

I've heard that there are plans to build a new 800 student capacity elementary in close in south-central Austin to replace Pease, Matthews, THE, Zilker, BH, Dawson and Becker! (task force meeting notes #8, I think )

Old 01-13-2011, 08:19 PM

No land has been bought and no money has been appropriated for a new SW HS.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:48 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,032,991 times
Quote:
No land has been bought and no money has been appropriated for a new SW HS.
for real? wow! I thought it was "in process" Some folk talk about a the new SW high school like it will be open soon!

well as I said, I barely know where that part of Austin even is!

Old 01-13-2011, 11:50 PM

We kind of follow developments, 'cause our toddlers might see it . They could use some existing owned land, but my understanding is that none of it is in the right location for a new HS to be built. The new middle school was just completed, and despite all the issues with HS overcrowding, a new elementary might have to take priority over a HS.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 AM

3,202 posts, read 5,990,020 times
Quote:
We kind of follow developments, 'cause our toddlers might see it . They could use some existing owned land, but my understanding is that none of it is in the right location for a new HS to be built. The new middle school was just completed, and despite all the issues with HS overcrowding, a new elementary might have to take priority over a HS.
I really do feel for the parents at Z/BH, but the people in that area have enjoyed the RE gravy train over the last 20 years. Barton Hills property values have risen 428% since 1990, meanwhile other established expensive neighborhoods dating back to the 60's such as Onion Creek have languished and seen their property values stagnate over the last two decades because they have not been given the consideration by AISD that places such as Z/BH have been given. We live 5 miles away from our elementary school which is located in a bad part of town. Where is our justice? My advice to the homeowners of the Z/BH area: sell you house if you don't like it, pocket the $300K profit, and move along. Before you say "but we pay taxes for it" guess what? You don't pay any more taxes than the people of Onion Creek do... and you don't have to suffer insult upon injury by having to send your kids to private school as the majority of Onion Creek parents feel like they have to do.

If anything comes of this, I hope they free up enough funds to build a new elementary school for the Onion Creek area, maybe then justice will be finally be served after 30 years of neglect by the COA and AISD.

Have a good day.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:57 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,029,037 times
I don't know about land purchases, but no bond has been passed for a new AISD HS. A new high school sized for 3000 students is likely to cost at least $100M, depending one what other facilities (gym, auditorium, etc.) are placed on the campus.

A school district will never set aside existing funds collected from the M&O portion of property taxes for a future school. Construction of new facilities will always be done through bond funds.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,742 times
Default School Closing Options

Saving neighborhood schools: Please check out [URL="http://www.2revolutions.net"]www.2revolutions.net[/URL] 2Revolutions is supported by the Bill/Melinda Gates Foundation. 2 Rev is built upon the principles of integrative design and recognizes that complex issues cannot be solved by focusing on one element at a time, in isolation from other elements of the systems within which the problem exists. Instead, we need solutions that operate at the intersection of multiple policy domains and sectors. This often requires new ways of thinking and working.
2 Rev currently is working with public schools in San Diego, Catholic Arch Dioceses Schools in Denver and others. This group explores possible ways to solve the budget and moving neighborhood schools to viability in a growing urban-adult setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin