Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 11:17 AM

92 posts, read 308,678 times

Advertisements

We're planning on checking out the potential communities before our house hunt in spring thus we'd love to get tips/advices from ya'll.

We're looking for a bigger house that is in great school district, plus good amenities inside/around the community. We like westlake hills but with our budget of 700k, we can't get a big (3500+ sqt) and newer house. So we thought of Lakeway - thinking of buying a home near by the lake or in the hill area w/ a view to the lake would be wonderful but that might be out of our $ range.

I know that Lakeway is pretty out there but we work from home and it isn't a deal-breaker if we don't live close to downtown. We rather live in a community w/ good family-friendly amenities like Circle C and than more -we like the lake area. However we don't want to live too far out where shopping will be inconvenient- will that be the case if we move to Lakeway? How is the Hill Country Galleria Mall? What is Lakeway like? A good place to live?

Would greatly appreciate any input, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 12:21 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
We are relatively new residents of Lakeway, although we are just renting at this point. We have no school aged children, so I can't comment on the schools. You are right that you can find large houses with large yards here. It has been a friendly community for us. As has been noted on other threads, Lakeway is very strict with speed limits, leash laws, the state of one's lawn, etc. As renters and non-dog owners, we haven't found that oppressive, although there might be home owners that could comment on that more completely. Shopping has not been a big problem, as there are many stores of all types both at the Galleria and on hwy 620. A big medical center is being built, which will be a community asset. A new library is also in the works. I can think of two areas that present a deficit to us. One is that there are no farmers' markets close by. Bee Creek says that they have one, but our experience so far is one booth stuck out along Hwy 71 . So the closest one is at Sunset Valley, and it is quite a small one. That is maybe 16 or 17 miles away. So if you are into organic/local foods, it is a little difficult. The second problem I can see is that you are pretty distant from cultural activities in town. So if you want to go to a choir concert, someone playing at a club, an interesting lecture, the ballet, or gardening programs at Zilker or the Wildflower Center, you will have to drive at least 20 miles and face the traffic. It depends on your sensibilities as to whether this is a problem. Personally, my husband and I are retired and don't have to commute to work. But those two problems are critical for us, so we are looking to buy closer in.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:40 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
I lived in Lakeway from 1985-1998. Lakeway is a very "nice" area and has many of the things the OP wants. Great schools, super-safe, nice people, etc. Lakeway is also a very controlling area - the super-low speed limits are an example. If you are OK with that - then Lakeway could be a great choice for you. You can't buy waterfront in Lakeway for $700K but you can probably find lake view.

Shopping is not important to me so Bee Cave Galleria is more than enough. Whole Foods is coming (confirmed) so you have a great choice for expensive groceries. The movie theater is handy and the choice of restaurants has grown dramatically over the years.

One of the best music venues in Texas is nearby - The Backyard.

We moved out of Lakeway because it was too controlled for us. But it is a very fine community overall.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:52 AM

92 posts, read 308,678 times
Thank you for all your posts .....though i think lakeway might be too out there for us. We thought that maybe living near the lake might be worth it but since the lake will busy in the summer and holidays then it kinder defeat the purpose of living far away from the crowd busy city to out in a quiet place....in the "nature"....

Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Lake Travis is busiest on summer weekends and the big holidays. It is surprisingly peaceful on summer weekdays. During the non-peak period - beginning after school starts in the fall to May - it is simply terrific.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 7,277 times
my husband and I and our two daughters (8 and 10) are looking at lakeway, hills, and falcon head. Curious to know where you ended up and if you are happy?

Old 10-02-2013, 12:37 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintoaustin View Post
my husband and I and our two daughters (8 and 10) are looking at lakeway, hills, and falcon head. Curious to know where you ended up and if you are happy?
Looks like the OP was near Lakeway when we last heard from them...well over a year ago. You might try to PM them if they still hang out on the site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin