Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 03:54 PM

385 posts, read 1,248,079 times

Advertisements

My husband and I love, love, love the UK and the people who make that place so fabulous. We had some friends in southern cal who were from London and it was such a treat to hang out with them. Anyhow, our sights are on Austin as well, so we hope to run into you all. best of luck with the move. cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 04:06 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Yes, all those accents make our city sound more intelligent overall

I too am glad to see UK people finding Austin "worthy" of relocation. They are coming from a place with such a world class city and areas, after all. I love visiting there.

Plus, it's a historically great time for them in regards to what they can get for their money. I'm sure they must be tickled about how far their pound will go here these days.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:24 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
I LOVE England!!!!! I visit every year and have made great friends there!!!! So, I'm pleased that some Britons are choosing to come to Texas, too!!!! I hope some consider Abilene, selfishly.

Welcome, British friends!!!! If y'all get a hankering for British goods and can't find a good selection here, check out UKGoods - in America. I order from them frequently and they're great!!!! (It would be cheaper than having friends and family in England send you things.)

Oh, and there's a WONDERFUL tea room in, of all places, Kingsville, TX, called The English Tearoom. It's owned and operated by a couple from Kent. (Their name is Nixon.) Great food, tea, and atmosphere!

Old 07-16-2007, 04:31 PM

216 posts, read 995,953 times
Smile English meet up groups

I believe there are English ex-pat groups, which meet up regularly too.
Visit Meetup: World's largest community of local Meetups, clubs and groups!

I wish there was one for the Irish ex pats, there must not be enough of us here.

T.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:48 PM

33 posts, read 160,411 times
Our small family are relocating from London in a fortnights time and trust us the pleasure is all ours. We do appreciate what a fantastic city London is, although probably more so my wife who is originally from SF but has lived in the UK for some 15 years.

I always thought that when we moved to the US it would be to CA, but then we happened upon Austin, and are truly smitten. It has many of the upsides of California (but not all) and few of the downsides (but a small number of them).

Yes the exchange rate is assisting with the economics of the move but that is a minor factor. It is difficult to exactly describe the precise reason why Austin is so attractive to us as a place to live. Its a hundred small reasons and the way they fit together rather than one big factor. Somewhere near the top of the list would be the people that we have met that we have met in Texas. In London, if a stranger talks to you on the Tube, the lunatic radar starts bleeping immediately and one begins to scope out the nearest door. Maybe a slight exaggeration but not far from the truth.

Accent? What accent? It is you Texans who have the most wonderful accent. Although, having said that, I can appreciate the Harry Potter-like quality to my son's accent (he's seven years old).

Anyway, its toodle pip to Blighty for us, and hello Austin!

Ttfn

Old 07-17-2007, 02:15 PM

389 posts, read 1,571,146 times
Talking Perhaps one left behind..

I must say we a thrilled with all the Brits coming over also, especially since I married one 10 yrs ago! There are lots of them in Circle C, Prolly elswhere also.. That being said, there's one Brit y'all could have done with leaving behind.... Beckham's wife.. anyone see that show last nite?
The Brit version of Paris Hilton?

G---

""If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through." -General Melchett

Old 07-17-2007, 02:57 PM

33 posts, read 160,411 times
Now, I have to say, although I do a fairly good job of insulating myself from Tabloid celebs (and haven't seen Mrs Beckham on TV for years), I can't help but smile at Mr & Mrs B, being working class proles like myself, living the high life as they are. Besides, DB's celebrity often clouds just how good a football (soccer?) player he is. Yes they can be distasteful and crass but its through ignorance and limited vocabulary rather than malice.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:39 AM

55 posts, read 174,177 times
Hi everyone, thanks to you all for your warm welcome...although we have not yet arrived - our Visa application is with the US embassy and we are working our way through the requirements. This forum is such a wonderful place to gather information to help us move.
We are so looking forward to our new life in Texas.
And as for the Beckhams...I have no comment to make - we too avoid the tabloid celebrity frenzy...maybe that's one reason why Texas seems like such a great place to live - it seems to be on the other end of the celebrity-mad scale!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin