U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 03:49 PM

37 posts, read 69,856 times
Default Zipcar coming to Austin (well, UT Austin) this month.

I just saw "Reserved for Zipcar" signs installed at University and Dean Keeton.

www.zipcar.com/utexas

I checked out the info:
If you are a UT student, staff, or faculty you get to "Zip" with no app fee, and $35 annual fee + $8/hr ($66/day)

If you are not associated with UT you pay $25 app fee plus $50 a year and the same usage fee.

I signed up and talked to a rep. We are getting 8 vehicles: one Ford Escape, a Prius or two, bunch of Scion Xb's and a pick-up truck. Given that this will be a partnership with UT Austin, they will be all parked at the UT campus.

No word officially when the cars are coming beyond "In January" - Neither UT nor ZipCar have announced the partnership yet.

I am psyched - as an avid Car2Go user, I occasionally need something with more seats or more space - Zipcar will provide that!

Now my transportation includes: CapMetro, Feet, Bike, Moped, a friend's car, another friend's truck, Car2Go and ZipCar - that ought to take care of all my needs!

Igor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 07:22 PM

96 posts, read 113,846 times
I'm amazed these guys (and car2go) are still in business. Their business model is very shaky and it annoys me to see the already limited public parking disappearing for these companies.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:44 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,799,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclemeat View Post
I'm amazed these guys (and car2go) are still in business. Their business model is very shaky and it annoys me to see the already limited public parking disappearing for these companies.
Actually with the small footprint of Smart cars and the possibility to park them perpendicular to the roadway they could be used to free up spaces. Plus consider that a Car2go can turn over more frequently than a parking garage spot where the employee's car is sitting there 8.5 hours (half hour for lunch) per day.

The city of Austin is not on the hook for losses from the Daimler subsidized program. These programs are starting to go nationwide and have many economic and environmental advantages over the typical one car per person status quo:

"For example, a 2006 survey done for CommunAuto, a Quebec car-sharing organization, found that each shared vehicle replaces eight individually owned ones, leads to an 1,800-mile reduction in distance driven per year per member, and resulted in up to a 44 percent reduction in fuel consumption."

More Cities Encouraging Car-Sharing - NYTimes.com

Old 01-13-2011, 05:48 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,439,296 times
I don't know about in Austin, but these businesses do very well in cities with more public transportation usage. People who just need a car a couple days a month can rent one rather than have to pay for the car and housing/parking it (which in some cities can be ridiculously expensive). In the DC area, they place these vehicles near Metro stops.

It seems they are really targeting UT students, so I assume large portions of them do not have cars on campus. Again, for people who don't own a car and only need one on rare occasions, this is a good way to do it.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:49 AM

3,131 posts, read 3,270,330 times
Are they electric?

Old 01-13-2011, 07:05 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,799,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I don't know about in Austin, but these businesses do very well in cities with more public transportation usage. People who just need a car a couple days a month can rent one rather than have to pay for the car and housing/parking it (which in some cities can be ridiculously expensive). In the DC area, they place these vehicles near Metro stops.

It seems they are really targeting UT students, so I assume large portions of them do not have cars on campus. Again, for people who don't own a car and only need one on rare occasions, this is a good way to do it.
It's also good for "car light" households with more drivers than cars or for households with one or more unreliable vehicles. Yes these programs do augment public transportation but for many they also augment walking and cycling modes.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:59 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,700,015 times
I never quite understood why Austin was chosen for the zip car program. Very few people ride public transit here and even fewer carpool to work. And using a SMARTCAR?? Oh please. That's just not the Austin way.
Need to have Tahoes, Expeditions, and Silverados in the place of these oversized motorcycles! That will help really get the program going strong!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor2 View Post
I just saw "Reserved for Zipcar" signs installed at University and Dean Keeton.

www.zipcar.com/utexas

I checked out the info:
If you are a UT student, staff, or faculty you get to "Zip" with no app fee, and $35 annual fee + $8/hr ($66/day)

If you are not associated with UT you pay $25 app fee plus $50 a year and the same usage fee.

I signed up and talked to a rep. We are getting 8 vehicles: one Ford Escape, a Prius or two, bunch of Scion Xb's and a pick-up truck. Given that this will be a partnership with UT Austin, they will be all parked at the UT campus.

No word officially when the cars are coming beyond "In January" - Neither UT nor ZipCar have announced the partnership yet.

I am psyched - as an avid Car2Go user, I occasionally need something with more seats or more space - Zipcar will provide that!

Now my transportation includes: CapMetro, Feet, Bike, Moped, a friend's car, another friend's truck, Car2Go and ZipCar - that ought to take care of all my needs!

Igor

Old 01-13-2011, 08:01 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,439,296 times
preaching to the choir with me - I dream of being an entirely car free household, but not many places in the country are set up for an arrangement like that. I hope that this does well in Austin and other places - anything we can do to lessen pollution, money wasted on vehicles just to get from point A to B and dependence on oil is good in my book.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:13 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,700,015 times
You are correct. Many cities around the country have tried to make it easier to have a car, but most fail miserably. San Francisco, New York, Chicago, and perhaps Seattle & Portland would be fairly easy to get around without a car. As long as gas prices continue to be extremely cheap, the overall mantality will be to sprawl further and further out from the inner cores of cities. Dallas and Houston and Atlanta being prime examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
preaching to the choir with me - I dream of being an entirely car free household, but not many places in the country are set up for an arrangement like that. I hope that this does well in Austin and other places - anything we can do to lessen pollution, money wasted on vehicles just to get from point A to B and dependence on oil is good in my book.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:18 AM

727 posts, read 935,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
You are correct. Many cities around the country have tried to make it easier to have a car, but most fail miserably. San Francisco, New York, Chicago, and perhaps Seattle & Portland would be fairly easy to get around without a car. As long as gas prices continue to be extremely cheap, the overall mantality will be to sprawl further and further out from the inner cores of cities. Dallas and Houston and Atlanta being prime examples.
Boston seems like it would be doable, too.

I don't have any experience with DC but I think they have decent public transportation.

Last edited by sinking; 01-13-2011 at 08:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin