U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-12-2011, 06:06 PM

3 posts, read 7,514 times
Default Over 50, single man, considering a move to Austin

Hi, need some input...I am a single, straight professional man over 50 who is considering Austin as one of a few places to move. I have been somewhat of a vagabond the last decade, moving from Denver to the east coast, to Arkansas and now in New Orleans, all for work.

Now, I am at a stage in life where I would like to find a permanent home...I have read many of the posts on here and most of them about moving to the Austin area deal with kids, schools, or there seem to be alot of younger folks looking for a place to live.

I am definitely not a codger, by any stretch...one of the things that appeals to me about Austin, after living in Colorado and New Mexico, is that there seems to be alot of outdoor stuff to do...hiking, biking, etc.

I am also single and certainly would like to find the "girl of my dreams" to enjoy life with, so that is important too...I have spent alot of time in Dallas and find most of the women my age tend to be somewhat superficial.

So, here are some questions I have;

Is Austin a place for the "Over 50" crowd? Or will I feel out of place?

All the data suggests that Austin is better then the rest of the USA for jobs...is that truly the case? (I am in telecom sales).

Best place to live for a guy in his 50's? (I am leaving that general...if you think there is somewhere better then Austin to move after reading my thread, I am game!

Alot of the threads talk about the massive traffic and "growth" problems that Austin is dealing with...your thoughts?

Allergies...I am having a nightmare with allergies in New Orleans. better or worse???

Thats it for right now...please let me know your experiences, especially if you are over 50!

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 06:42 PM

11,924 posts, read 11,392,760 times
I am about your age, but not single. So I really can't say much about dating based on personal experience. Single friends my age, generally divorced, seem to have active social lives though. I don't think they spend their time in the typical downtown ntertainment areas. Austin has many people in this age group active in sports like triathlon, cycling, etc.

Austin has traffic, but with the exception of IH35, I don't think it is "massive" like some like to portray it. Some other big commuter roads, like Mopac (Hwy 1), and 360 get very busy at rush hour. We have growth challenges. But our roads aren't broken down, it is safe, schools are good to very good in most cases, etc.

Jobs? It isn't easy to get one. But I know people in IT fields that are getting hired. State budget pressure may put some government people out of work soon, but there are signs of private sector hiring picking up.

Many people have a hard time with allergies here - but it depends on what you are allergic to. We are in peak allergy season for many because of mountain cedar. In spring we have oak pollen. At other times we have ragweed.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:05 PM

957 posts, read 1,790,878 times
I've lived in many cities, and Austin doesn't seem like a great place for single guys over 50. It wouldn't be the worst place in the world, but I'd think most of the larger cities in California would be better options.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:46 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,113,562 times
I think you'd do great here. If you're emotionally together, have a steady job, socially active, and/or open to women with children. Women over 40 would be fighting over you!

There's a lot of women who can't find a good man around here.

Go get 'em !

Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,182 times
I am 41 & I don't feel like you would be out of place...there is a lot of things to do for all ages here in Austin.

From what I have heard...the job market here is better here than most states. I can send you some links for jobs here in the Austin area...and area info if you would like.

As far as the traffic...there is going to be some during rush hours. I am from FL and the traffic was much worse there.

Not sure how bad allergies are here because I do not have any.

Moderator cut: signature

Last edited by Bo; 01-13-2011 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: Per TOS, do not include manual signatures in your posts.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:07 PM

6,770 posts, read 9,998,517 times
I think Austin is generally a good place to be single, probably the best in Texas, for any age... It's a younger crowd overall, but outside of the university area it is pretty much all ages.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:05 PM

22 posts, read 22,686 times
Well, I'm 39, single...and sometimes feel like old Moses here! Really, this is a VERY young town. The dating scene here is tough (unless you're, say, a 23 year old hipster in a neo-folk band with 3,000 friends on FB), you REALLY have to network to wrangle dates, but it's not impossible, just really, really tough in that weird late 30's-beyond age group (just look up the age demographics for Travis County and that'll tell you right there). Allergies? The cedar is a killer, seriously, everyone I know is suffering beyond all comprension, but you get used to it (well, at least I did, I seem to have allergies wherever I am, so). Just my two cents.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:06 PM

22 posts, read 22,686 times
Oh yeah, I'm pretty damned fussy, so that adds to the equation (in my case).

Old 01-12-2011, 11:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,514 times
Wow, thank all of you for those responses...seems like a bit of a mix...and yes, Staceyj, would enjoy communicating with you.

Austin does seem like a city (town) that has alot going for it. While no area is immune to the current unemployment situation, from the job boards and from reading, there does appear to be plenty of opportunity there.

Anyone else care to offer their opinion to this thread?

Thanks again...just the fact that I got so many responses in such a short period of time tells me that "Austinites" care about where they live!

Old 01-13-2011, 12:55 PM

14,070 posts, read 18,442,102 times
I'm older then you but have never felt out of place. We are retiring in Austin after living here for 33 years. We think it is a great place to live.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin