Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:24 AM

23 posts, read 32,582 times

Advertisements

my wife and i are thinking about moving from st. louis to austin, mainly for the weather. we are not city people at all, the ONLY time we go downtown is for a blues game. we live about 30 minutes south of the city , and like it that way. somewhat country, yet a ton of stores, newer subsivisions etc.

what areas should i look to move to. we will probably come down and rent an apartment for the first year to make sure we like it before we buy a home. we deffinatly love new construction, and well maintained areas. we like areas where everyone takes pride in their homes and lawns, vehicles, etc. you get the drift. what areas should we be looking in? our budget for a home would be 200-230,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 11:38 AM

732 posts, read 2,126,226 times
Do you work from home? If not, what kind of commute is acceptable?

Are you on CZ28.com or corvetteforum.com? Your name looks familiar.

Last edited by sinking; 01-14-2011 at 11:51 AM..

Old 01-14-2011, 11:39 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
do you have a job lined up? Don't come without a job in hand. Once you know where you will be working, live close by. Austin has what you describe in every direction, the key is not to live across town from where you will be working.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:45 AM

lol i used to be on cz28 a loooong time ago, corvetteforum as well. i'm out of the car scene now though.

you guys bring up a good point that i was going to worry about myself, but since you brought it up. my wife works in accounting now, but she is wanting to open up a photography business. she has one here now, but it's small, she basically works for herself, but she wants to do that for a living. as for me, i'm a journeyman electrician. however, i do not like to do city work. i'm a residential guy. non union. do you know how the market is down there? i'm not too far away from having enough hours (in missouri) to get my own license and work for myself. that's my goal is to open up my own company, and have about 5-6 guys working for me. as for when i move down there, my plan was to apply at some places, then fly down for a few days and interview as much as i can. i wouldn't come without a job. this move is not in the near future, but i'm not the kind of guy that does things on a whim. i need to know every detail lol. what are some nice towns within 30 miles of austin i could check houses out on the internet?
thanks for the help

Old 01-14-2011, 11:52 AM

732 posts, read 2,126,226 times
Georgetown sounds like it might be what you are looking for.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:21 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
Cedar Park would be another option on the NW side of town - takes about 25 or so minutes to get downtown outside of rush hour. There are lots of new houses going up, so there would be a lot of people wanting post-build electrical work to be done for a good price.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:44 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Cedar Park would be another option on the NW side of town - takes about 25 or so minutes to get downtown outside of rush hour. There are lots of new houses going up, so there would be a lot of people wanting post-build electrical work to be done for a good price.
The other reason greater Cedar Park (basically the area up & down Parmer north of 620..... & the area between US 183 to I 35 on RR 1431) might make alot of sense is that in addition to delivering most of what you prefer.....the minor league hockey team plays in the new Center up there.

But definitely have a job lined up & be aware that the taxes on 225K would be about 5K per year.

Are schools a consideration?

Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Remember that the "city" here in Austin is nothing like the "city" in St. Louis. Our central neighborhoods might be more like what you are used to in the suburbs up there; suburban feel and very safe. There are hardly any bad neighborhoods in the inner city here -- most are quite expensive and desirable.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:18 AM

544 posts, read 1,667,625 times
if your plan is to find an apartment for awhile and discover the area, does it really matter where the apartment is?

Old 01-15-2011, 09:50 AM

schools are a consideration yes.

i am planning on moving into an apartment for the first year or 6 months. i would want it to be in the same area i plan on buying a house in so i can get used to the area.

that's good to know about the good neighborhoods near the city. that's exactly why i don't like going into downtown. well that, and once you get within about 15 minutes of the arch, you go from houses being new-15 years old in subdivisions off windy roads, to city blocks, and houses that are 50+ years old, old brick square houes, no driveways, stacked on top of each other. exactly the same looking all the way down the street. we are into the subdivision feel. nice newer style houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin