Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 09:39 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul6835 View Post
Table 4. Total student membership, total staff, student/teacher ratio, and student/staff ratio for public elementary/secondary education, by teacher and staff category and state or jurisdiction: School year 2008–09

Typical total administrative to student ratio in Texas is 25 to 1. AISD has 85.6k/7.8k or 11 to 1. Even accounting for "urban" schools, DC has 19 to 1.

That seems to support the idea that AISD is poorly run
I think you should be careful comparing ANYTHING to DC. It has a host of issues no other locality in the country faces. Federal buildings and land exempt from property taxes, Federal Government control over local government affairs, a revolving door of superintendents/school chancellors/pseudo celebrities (Michelle Rhee) trying to "fix" the schools while the gigantic wealth difference between Georgetown/NW DC and Anacostia/Southeast DC continues to grow, huge money scandals in the teachers unions AND local government employees stealing tax money, and the list goes on and on. DC is a VERY special case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 09:58 AM

474 posts, read 905,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I think you should be careful comparing ANYTHING to DC. It has a host of issues no other locality in the country faces. Federal buildings and land exempt from property taxes, Federal Government control over local government affairs, a revolving door of superintendents/school chancellors/pseudo celebrities (Michelle Rhee) trying to "fix" the schools while the gigantic wealth difference between Georgetown/NW DC and Anacostia/Southeast DC continues to grow, huge money scandals in the teachers unions AND local government employees stealing tax money, and the list goes on and on. DC is a VERY special case.
Michelle Rhee was the only human willing and able to take on the outrageously bad teaching staff and the union that props it up. DC schools are among the very worst in the USA. Too bad for DC that the new mayor didn't support Rhee.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:20 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
Michelle Rhee was the only human willing and able to take on the outrageously bad teaching staff and the union that props it up. DC schools are among the very worst in the USA. Too bad for DC that the new mayor didn't support Rhee.
And your opinion of her is based on "Waiting for Superman" and her Oprah interview? That gives a very rosy picture of her.

Yes, the schools in DC have massive problems. Yes, the teachers union is a MESS. I just didn't agree with her methods and found her selection as chancellor in the first place bizarre.

Gray will bring in the next big "savior" with some other philosophy on how to "fix" the schools. But no one wants to admit a big factor is the socioeconomic divide in the city, neglect of current school facilities where no teacher wants to venture into, etc. So they just talk about vouchers and firing people left and right. It is like ignoring that elephant again. The rich families go private, those with the means to get out flee to the suburban schools.

Not trying to turn this post into a DC schools post - my main point was that using DC as a comparison city is really not wise.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:26 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
I'm sorry, is that the Michelle Rhee who was actually in the classroom for three whole years and suddenly became an education expert? She doesn't impress me much.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:28 AM

The ONLY thing that will save AISD's budget crisis, as well as improve the actual education offered in the AISD is vouchers. Voucher programs will empower parents to take an active role in their childrens' education and force schools to be competitive.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:31 AM

544 posts, read 1,667,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
The ONLY thing that will save AISD's budget crisis, as well as improve the actual education offered in the AISD is vouchers. Voucher programs will empower parents to take an active role in their childrens' education and force schools to be competitive.

vouchers do open the conversation regarding the division between church and state -- tax money going to support a religious based, non taxed enterprise? don't seem prudent to me

Old 01-21-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROY DUBOSE View Post
vouchers do open the conversation regarding the division between church and state -- tax money going to support a religious based, non taxed enterprise? don't seem prudent to me
Churches and other religious organizations already receive tax-exemptions, which already blur the line. As long as they meet certain locally determined guidelines, I don't see a problem.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:49 AM

544 posts, read 1,667,352 times
and do correct me if i'm wrong, but while churches do get tax exemptions, why would it be wise to give them tax money (on top of the exemptions) to support a specific religion/faith practice? maybe we could tax the churches (and listen to the howls from the congregations) if we're going to support their schools?

Old 01-21-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROY DUBOSE View Post
and do correct me if i'm wrong, but while churches do get tax exemptions, why would it be wise to give them tax money (on top of the exemptions) to support a specific religion/faith practice? maybe we could tax the churches (and listen to the howls from the congregations) if we're going to support their schools?
Gee. Maybe because religious people pay taxes, too???? Remember, real people pay taxes, and they should have a voice in how that money is used.

Again, as long as they adhere to educational standards, who cares? Austin is full of religious schools that provide fantastic educations. Parents should have the option of using their tax money, or at least part of it, for a religious based education.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Vouchers will not solve the problems. AISD will still have a budget problem voucher or no voucher.

Once you hand them vouchers..will you provide bus service to the school ?
Will you pay for uniforms ? Will you pay for other supplies and such that are typically paid for with public schooling.

Vouchers alone will not solve the budget problems..which is the topic of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin