Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 03:39 PM

39 posts, read 154,063 times

Advertisements

I have two questions for Y'All (that's how I spell it). We looked at a "concrete home" in Bastrop. It was a very nice house that we might have bought but the master bedroom was too small for a king size bed (my husband is 6'7"). After trying to get through a section 1 inspection on our current house (with wood siding) an ICF - Insulated Concrete Form - house is sounding VERY attractive to us. Does anyone have experience with living is a concrete house? What are the pluses and minuses? I have heard that the utility bills are much lower? Is this true? How much more does it cost to build with ICF?
The house we looked at had several walking sticks (the bugs not a cane) hanging on the front and back porch. I honestly did not realize that walking sticks could grow that big - they were at least 8 inches long! I thought they were just a curiousity until I watched the show "Dirty Jobs" and Mike picked up walking sticks that sprayed a foul chemical on his hands. He was warned quite sternly to not get this near his eyes. Is this an issue in Austin -do the walking sticks spray stuff at you? I am not certain I can deal with scorpions and giant walking sticks spraying stuff at me.
Thanks for input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 05:41 PM

27 posts, read 114,280 times
No first hand experience with ICF, but I've handled several walking sticks here in South Austin, and have never been sprayed. That's a new one to me.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:06 PM

389 posts, read 1,571,146 times
This is true, they spray, and it could be very bad if you get it in the eyes. We saw a piece Jeff Corwin did on it, and also Snopes comfirms it also ( Urban Legends Reference Pages: Walking Stick )

I used to play with them as a kid though, so I dont think they spray unless they are really agitated..

G

G

Old 07-19-2007, 06:54 AM

Thanks - I'm still not certain if I should worry about the sticks or not but it's nice to know that a kid could touch them and not get hurt.
The ICF house is also still a question - if we decide to build perhaps I can get some builder references. Thanks again!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:45 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
My wife has a friend whose husband built an ICF house for them to live in just off SoCo. He is an architect/builder, so he built it in their spare time while living in the small house on the front of the property. Of course, once he finished it and they moved in, it was appraised at some ungodly value and (I exaggerate a bit) they could not afford to live there. Actually, they could not afford not to sell it, since SoCo had gone up so much over those years.

Anyway, they live there a short while and I visted a couple of times. The thing I noticed is the wiring - building code requires outlets ever 'x' feet, so he had to run conduit along the wall, which was visible in the room. It looked very 'modern', but was a bit odd to me.

As for construction costs, I am not sure. The people he had do the initial wall construction screwed up, and he spent quite a bit of time getting them to fix it (or coming up with a work around). I don't know how serious it really was, he is a bit of a perfectionist, and it may have been nothing big. I will say that the people that are able to build ICF are limited, so while materials/time may be a saving (or may not), you will probably have to pay more in labor.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:32 PM

Having to make any changes to an ICF house would be my main concern too. If you didn't get the light fixture or outlet exactly where you wanted it the fix is pretty ugly and we constantly make changes to our house.
Most of the houses we are looking at are masonry on at least 3 sides with Hardy-board on the fourth side - I'm assuming termites can still be a problem in the framing but hopefully no more wet/dry rot. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: