Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:59 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times

Advertisements

Personally, I don't think any one store can supply everything for me. HEB is fine for somethings, but I am discouraged that in produce, you have to choose between local and organically grown. You have to go to a farmers' market to get both. I don't have a Sprouts around me, but I am not very impressed with Newflower (which is now Sunflower), partly because they have even fewer organics than HEB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
I've tried to shop at Sprouts but, as said, the selection is really limited. I tend to shop at several places, because I know what's going to be cheaper where for the most part (keeping in mind that some of the stores like Walmart and HEB in one town will "alternate" sales where one has an item on sale one week and the other the next, switching back and forth, not quite sure why).

I used to shop at Whole Paycheck religiously, from way back before they were even called that, but as soon as they hired the "Big Grocery" guy to run the company it all went to hell in a grocery basket and I hardly ever go there any more. Mostly it's HEB (we have an upscale one in Georgetown over by Sun City, not an HEB Plus but a very nice one nonetheless with a wine steward who really knows his stuff), occasionally Randalls or Sprouts for a couple of things, Walmart and Sam's. All depending on what I'm buying - I just keep my grocery list with me and drop in to wherever I'm close to to pick up what's best at that store. Plus stock up on nonperishables - something I learned both living in the country and back when I was a personal chef.

But if you have a good HEB nearby, you don't have to go to a lot of other places for regular shopping.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:53 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,441 times
I think Whole Foods has HEB beat....

Old 01-26-2011, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,341 times
Heb is the best grocery store I have seen. Customer service is really awesome coming from New England is a breath of fresh air....We buy anything HEB brand not for the price, which doesn't hurt, but because is actually better...and fresher ...oh and the diapers! We tried the HEB diapers taking advantage of the offer which gave free wipes and they are BETTER than Pampers, no doubt about it...and yes I know what I am talking about, we have four kids, and we actually tried ALL the brands out there in 8 years. The only thing, I might complain about is that they should keep on the shelves some Central Market products that I am still forced to buy at CM. Sprouts is overpriced, in my opinion and so is Whole Foods...

Old 01-27-2011, 07:26 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post

Do they have HEB in Kansas?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:43 AM

42 posts, read 140,993 times
I shop several different stores for what I need and HEB does not have it all. I shop Sprouts, Walmart, Whole Foods and several other stores. HEB is more expensive than Walmart.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:20 AM

659 posts, read 1,759,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
...if you are only feeding 1 person on 6 figures/year. I heart Whole Foods, but I can't seem to buy a stick of gum in that place without having to write a hot check.

I also like HEB, but I (regretfully) have to admit that WalMart has better prices. I loathe WM (mostly b/c I worry about walking in there without my tetanus shot being up-to-date), but they beat HEB hands-down on prices - especially in the HBA section (meds, cosmetics, etc.).

So I shop pretty equally at HEB and WM... even though I am pretty sure Taco Bell gets their "meat" at WM...

Old 01-27-2011, 11:23 AM

732 posts, read 2,125,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
...if you are only feeding 1 person on 6 figures/year. I heart Whole Foods, but I can't seem to buy a stick of gum in that place without having to write a hot check.

I also like HEB, but I (regretfully) have to admit that WalMart has better prices. I loathe WM (mostly b/c I worry about walking in there without my tetanus shot being up-to-date), but they beat HEB hands-down on prices - especially in the HBA section (meds, cosmetics, etc.).

So I shop pretty equally at HEB and WM... even though I am pretty sure Taco Bell gets their "meat" at WM...
You'd be surprised. HEB actually beats WM and Target on price on many things. Meat is cheaper at HEB. I used to go to WM for my HBA needs but found both places prices to be about the same so now it is just wherever I am at the time.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:45 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
HEB prices seem to vary quite a bit by store, so you have to check a little closely....

Old 01-27-2011, 02:35 PM

21 posts, read 41,369 times
I do most of my shopping at Natural Grocers in the Arbor Walk. LOVE that store! They are cheaper in price compared to Whole Foods. I occasionally go to Sprouts or Whole Foods if they have something on sale that NG does not carry. I can't wait for the for new Natural Grocers to open off of 1431 in February!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin