Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 05:36 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Wow.

You know that is what dogs are supposed to do right? They bark. They are just doing their jobs.
Wow.

You know what neighbors are supposed to do right? Be polite. They aren't doing their jobs.

You know what polite people aren't supposed to do right? Disturb the peace and make everyone miserable. They aren't doing their jobs.

You know what stereos are supposed to do right? Play music. They are just doing their jobs. If someone pulls up in front of your house and plays their stereo full blast at 3AM, is that permissible simply b/c the stereo is performing it's intended function?

Try again bud.

I understand dogs bark. Every dog in my neighborhood barks non stop from 4.30 to 6.30 b/c other people jog by walking THEIR dogs. I chalk that up to "meh, dogs bark."

The OP specifically said that her problem occurs in the wee hours of the morning. Dog barking at 2am is not acceptable, regardless of what their natural inclinations are. Moderator cut: off topic/personal

Last edited by Bo; 02-13-2011 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 06:05 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,398,741 times
We made the mistake of leaving our dog in the backyard for one day when we had to leave town on a family emergency during the holidays. We came home to find a nasty note on the front door and were just devastated that our dog had barked and upset them. However, I would much rather have received a personal visit than the nasty note on the door. It kind of colored any future relations with this particular new neighbor from that point on since. But we learned never to leave the dog in the yard unattended so I guess they got their point across.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:25 PM

947 posts, read 3,139,321 times
Of course you would have rather received a personal visit, anyone would. But these neighbors were tired and wanting to sleep. Not the best time for rational decisions or to think of your feelings. Maybe they left on the door because it was late they were ticked off and tired, just wanted to do something...

We had a neighbor that whenever her husband left for Iraq it was party time. She would leave and disappear for the weekend. the dogs out all night. And she had at least four dogs. a On top of that, she was a member of the HOA board. Complained repeatedly to the HOA, called the police. Went through a lot of crazy nights. It took a new neighbor and threat of child services. It turns out she was leaving her barely a teen home all weekend while she took off to parts unknown.

Her husband is gone again. Hopefully we don't have to replay this. Here is to hoping.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:51 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Wasn't it just last year that a south Austin guy killed his neighbor over a barking dog?

Also I read in the AAS of a years-long case where a retired Austinite had repeatedly complained to the cops about his lady neighbor's yappy little dogs yapping all night. The owner had been cited more than once and fined $$$ by the city before she agreed to put them inside overnight. The poor old neighbor finally got a couple month's worth of decent sleep, then the idiot woman started letting her mutts out again overnight to start it all over again.

What is wrong with someone like that?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:01 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Wasn't it just last year that a south Austin guy killed his neighbor over a barking dog?

Also I read in the AAS of a years-long case where a retired Austinite had repeatedly complained to the cops about his lady neighbor's yappy little dogs yapping all night. The owner had been cited more than once and fined $$$ by the city before she agreed to put them inside overnight. The poor old neighbor finally got a couple month's worth of decent sleep, then the idiot woman started letting her mutts out again overnight to start it all over again.

What is wrong with someone like that?
They have this attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Wow.

You know that is what dogs are supposed to do right? They bark. They are just doing their jobs.
Some people figure that if it doesn't bother THEM, then anyone else who is bothered is being unreasonable.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:17 AM

425 posts, read 1,257,084 times
Our next door neighbors had a barking dog that would bark non stop throughout the night starting about 11PM. We talked to our neighbors and they said they never heard the dog barking but would try to be more aware of it. Well, they evidently didn't hear any better after that talk, so we would call them every time the barking woke us up. We would never say anything, but simply would hang up once they answered. I don't know if they knew it was us calling or not, but the dog was always taken inside after those phone calls so I guess they heard him barking at that point. I'm thinking they eventually got tired of answering their phone in the middle of the night, as the dog barking stopped after a few days. Was never a problem again.

I think you can do a search online, if you have an address to get a phone number. With caller ID now days though, you probably would have to be willing to acknowledge that you are the one calling if necessary. Good luck with whatever you do.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:54 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
I know that there are some good alarms/whistles that are helpful in stopping dogs from barking.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:23 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I know that there are some good alarms/whistles that are helpful in stopping dogs from barking.
Those are very hit or miss.

I borrowed one of those gizmos from my son years ago to use on one side neighbor's yappy dog. It worked to an extent, but set off the back neighbor's dog! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin