U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 12:33 PM

119 posts, read 168,484 times
Default How can I convince my significant other to move to Austin?

Hi,

Thanks in advance for reading this. I used to live in Austin many years ago, and long to move back. I currently live in a (crappy-weather-filled) East Coast city, and I need more sunshine. My significant other (SO) and I have flown to Austin to visit once, and she was less than impressed with it. But when I was there visiting, I loved it just as much as always.

So here's my question: can you all please give me some great reasons why we should relocate to Austin? And I'm not talking about any chamber of commerc-y type stuff. Why would transplants from the north like it there? Again, I'm already a huge fan of Austin, but maybe you all have experience with someone who was initially not excited about moving to Austin, but then found that they loved it?

I am currently a writer/editor, in case that matters. Austin is a bit far from our families (we'd have to do flights, but not super long ones, to see them), which I think gives my SO pause. Plus the fact that she's South Asian and I'm white makes her wonder if we'd fit in down there. Also, we're both a little worried about Texas' reputation as being anti-intellectual (see: the Texas school board's recent decision to remove mention of Thomas Jefferson from history books because he was a theist, not really a full-on Christian). I don't mean any disrespect in saying that, it's just a stereotype that people have of Texas.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your opinions and/or stories. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 12:49 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,397,116 times
Family is a big deal. I know because I live in California and all of my family lives back in the South. Thus we're actually making plans to move back to be closer to them since they are all starting to get close to retirement age, which for us means either Austin, Nashville, Atlanta, and so on. But we're moving mainly for family reasons. So you might want to weigh those options carefully because it becomes a pressing issue as you get older.

As far as Texas being " anti-intellectual", that's sort of a generic conclusion. Dumb and smart people live everywhere. I am a native Southerner and I've lived both in the East and West Coast. Given that most cities on the coasts are difficult, expensive places to live with their own share of infrastructural and educational shortfalls perhaps the same could be said for the supposedly "intelligent" coasts as well for if they were doing things right then they wouldn't be hemorrhaging people to primarily Southern states. But I digress. If you like being around smart people there are smart people everywhere.

As far as being whatever race I don't see that as a problem. My brother's Ex-girlfriend was Chinese American. My Dad's best friend is Greek. Nobody made a peep about it. If you're generally pleasant and nice people will return the favor.

Lastly, perhaps you could check out other Southern cities that might be closer to your parents. This is why Raleigh Durham has become so popular with Northerners. Because it is fairly close to East Coast cities. If you like Austin you might also like Nashville. Its smaller, more affordable and doesn't get hot as a blast furnace in the summer either. Definitely shares a lot of the same vibes and cultural aspects as Austin as well. It would also be a lot closer to the East Coast.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:12 PM

727 posts, read 936,009 times
Don't worry about being in an interracial relationship in Austin. I am in one. Another friend is on one. They are very common here. I have never had any issues. I don't believe my friend has either.

That said you can't make her want to live here and like it. I moved here from the Northeast and I can see why she isn't impressed. I can't wait to move back. My girlfriend will be taking a trip back with me in the spring and I hope she likes it because I couldn't ask her to move someplace she doesn't like. It would only kill the relationship.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:18 PM

119 posts, read 168,484 times
Thanks, silverbox and sinking. Great insights. I could obviously never force her to like the city: often times with cities, you either like it or you don't. I don't want to move too far from family. Another place we're considering is Seattle, and that just seems like light-years away, especially considering that my parents are getting older. We'll see. Silverbox, I like what you say about southern East Coast cities, but I have trouble with the mugginess. Oh well, no place is perfect.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:30 PM

956 posts, read 1,121,429 times
White+Asian couples won't get a second look down here (in general). A complete non-issue.

The only thing "anti-intellectual" are the folks who generalize entire states with those types of comments. Plus you can also point out that with UT in town, that there are plenty of "intellectuals" roaming the streets.

Biggest problem is that you don't mention where you're living now, and/or exactly why she didn't like her first visit here? Folks could rattle off 1000 things that are "great" about Austin but it won't mean much without being able to hone in on what types of things she likes/dislikes.

BTW, I was forced with a similar dilemma years ago, I wanted to move out of state, SO didn't want to go. I left, she stayed. Not an easy choice to make and I hope things can work out such that you aren't forced to make a decision like that (still carry around some baggage due to that decision).

Old 01-26-2011, 02:51 PM

3,985 posts, read 5,996,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastDreamer View Post
Hi,

Thanks in advance for reading this. I used to live in Austin many years ago, and long to move back. I currently live in a (crappy-weather-filled) East Coast city, and I need more sunshine. My significant other (SO) and I have flown to Austin to visit once, and she was less than impressed with it. But when I was there visiting, I loved it just as much as always.

So here's my question: can you all please give me some great reasons why we should relocate to Austin? And I'm not talking about any chamber of commerc-y type stuff. Why would transplants from the north like it there? Again, I'm already a huge fan of Austin, but maybe you all have experience with someone who was initially not excited about moving to Austin, but then found that they loved it?

I am currently a writer/editor, in case that matters. Austin is a bit far from our families (we'd have to do flights, but not super long ones, to see them), which I think gives my SO pause. Plus the fact that she's South Asian and I'm white makes her wonder if we'd fit in down there. Also, we're both a little worried about Texas' reputation as being anti-intellectual (see: the Texas school board's recent decision to remove mention of Thomas Jefferson from history books because he was a theist, not really a full-on Christian). I don't mean any disrespect in saying that, it's just a stereotype that people have of Texas.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your opinions and/or stories. Thanks!
I wouldnt worry about your wife being asian. I live in an area that feeds into one of the best school chains and the elementary school is 40% asian. However, if your wife is used to big city amenities it would be a big step down. The tradeoff is essentially quality of every day living (house, commute, daily activities) vs. special activities like museums, art, dance, music etc.

If you live in a small east coast city, then I dont think you would be losing much.

Transplants from the north would like

1) much more relaxed atmosphere. The east cost is much more tense. The south is much more relaxed.

2) temperature- warm all year round (but very hot in the summer and sometimes humid). If it is really hot - 90+ it isnt too humid. But between 80-90 it can be very humid.

3) outdoor activities - you can do outdoor activities all year round.

4) not so crowded. It just isnt that crowded here. After rush hour the roads are pretty much empty

5) affordable. Your money goes farther here.

6) intellectual - some east coasters Ive met have complained that people here arent as intellectual. That is probably true, but austin isnt very redneck.

7) Great place to raise kids - it isnt very materialistic here and there are some very good public schools.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:25 PM

727 posts, read 936,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post

If you live in a small east coast city, then I dont think you would be losing much.

1) much more relaxed atmosphere. The east cost is much more tense. The south is much more relaxed.

2) temperature- warm all year round (but very hot in the summer and sometimes humid). If it is really hot - 90+ it isnt too humid. But between 80-90 it can be very humid.

4) not so crowded. It just isnt that crowded here. After rush hour the roads are pretty much empty

6) intellectual - some east coasters Ive met have complained that people here arent as intellectual. That is probably true, but austin isnt very redneck.

7) Great place to raise kids - it isnt very materialistic here and there are some very good public schools.
As a transplant from the Northeast I have to disagree with every one of these except number 6. I will disclose that I moved from a city much smaller than Austin so that may make a difference. All of the northeast is not NYC.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:26 PM

12,364 posts, read 12,203,430 times
An Asian wife is absolutely a non-issue. My mother is 100% Japanese and has happily lived in San Antonio for 30 years.

I am anti-arrogant-intellectual, which is not the same thing as anti-intellectual. I am sick of the "intellectual elites" that seem to believe that they deserve to tell everyone what is best for them.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:41 PM

509 posts, read 808,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I wouldnt worry about your wife being asian. I live in an area that feeds into one of the best school chains and the elementary school is 40% asian. However, if your wife is used to big city amenities it would be a big step down. The tradeoff is essentially quality of every day living (house, commute, daily activities) vs. special activities like museums, art, dance, music etc.

You have many valid points in your post. This may be a matter of semantics, but personally I wouldn't say that the East Coast is "tense," but rather fast paced. Texas just has a totally different pace, which can be enormously frustrating to people who are used to doing things in a certain time frame.

When I was much younger, I moved to Corpus and spent the first six months there screaming at everyone to move it. After that, I learned to chill out and let things happen in their own time. That actually turned out to be my favorite lesson from my time in Corpus.

To the OP, it's tough to change anyone's mind about anything. Plus your SO may have already formulated an opinion about Texas in general. Maybe a romantic weekend in Austin for Valentine's Day is in order? The wonderful posters on the forum would likely have some great suggestions to help you pull it off. Good luck!

Old 01-26-2011, 10:04 PM

390 posts, read 727,378 times
Take her to the Oasis restaurant! The OASIS Restaurant- Sunset Capital of Texas the food can range from ok to excellent but the scenery is to die for. Maybe she is preferring to live/visit in areas that are more for the well-to-do? If so, the restaurant is in an area where wealthy people live and shop. The hills are always worth a drive if not just for the scenery itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin