U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 06:14 PM

319 posts, read 586,840 times

Advertisements

1- agree "best" is subjective
2- there is an argument to be made that smart pre-schoolers will learn wherever they are
3- if you are asking about the subjective "best" in terms of feeders to "top" private schools, you are going to have to drop your "no church" requirement. As mentioned, these are really the Episcopal early childhood programs, at least from our research. Good Shepherd, St. Matthew's, etc. For what it's worth, they are very light on the religous stuff...we are talking about preschoolers and kindergarteners, afterall. Unless you have an issue with your kid dressing up like sheep in a manger scene at Christmas, I doubt you will find anything offensive.

Your mileage may vary, just our experience
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 06:24 PM

7,048 posts, read 12,678,711 times
You could try looking for preschools who have NAEYC accredition. The National Association for the Eduction of Young Children is a national program with rigorous standards that far exceed state standards. They are not that hard to find in Austin. And yes, some of them are housed in church-owned facilities but independent and some are actually church-affiliated, but it is quality of education and care that counts.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 PM

2,237 posts, read 7,909,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious1111 View Post
Good Shepherd, St. Matthew's, etc. For what it's worth, they are very light on the religous stuff...
It's actually been like that at all the private schools we've toured in the past few weeks. For example, I was really hesitant to even tour Hyde Park. I grew up going to a Baptist church and Southern Baptist culture is something I absolutely am against. However, a top administrator told us point blank "We do NOT teach Baptist doctrine. We use Christian principles that are appropriate and that complement learning at each grade level." A teacher told us that they actually wished they could replace "Baptist" with "Christian" in the school name but politically they can't. Heck, we'll probably send our daughter there unless Waldorf knocks our socks off when we tour there.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:56 PM
ail ail started this thread

34 posts, read 66,552 times
Thx for your insights and suggestions--we are not planning to send the kiddo to a private elementary school--if things go according to plan, he'll go to public (Eanes). I did check out at the NAEYC web site, but never heard much about whether it's something that is worth using as a guideline when checking out the preschools--I looked at it many, many months ago so will have to revisit it...

Old 01-28-2011, 12:35 AM

8,240 posts, read 15,004,015 times
You might try Child's Day in Rollingwood. Parkside montessori is also one to look at.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:55 PM

105 posts, read 329,729 times
Check out bluebonnet Montessori off debba drive. Maybe too far but an awesome school.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:31 PM

506 posts, read 923,265 times
You could also check out the Eanes ELT (Early Learning Together) program, since you're thinking of staying in Eanes.

Eanes has 2 preschool options: ELT and CDC (Child Development Center). The CDC is more like daycare in that the program runs full day. A lot of teachers send their kids to the CDC. However, I believe the ELT is a 1/2 day program and structured very much like the developmental preschools in Austin sans religion. They are currently in the midst of getting their NAEYC accreditation. ELT class size is very small (8-10 kids). Typically 1/2 the kids are peer models and 1/2 the kids have needs of some sort (speech, OT, aspergers, etc.). Kids come out exceptionally well prepared for kindergarten because the teachers work on campus with the Eanes' teachers and know what kindergarten expectations are.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 AM

24 posts, read 56,678 times
Not a lot out there, is there?

We're in the same boat. 2.5 year old in Eanes. I also think it's funny/sad how many religious schools are out there that will tell you "we're not a religious school". I have talked to many a Montessori, and am disgusted with them all (NO OFFENSE - I've talked to a lot of Montessori parents, also, and they all love it). I hadn't looked too much into the Eanes ELT/CDC programs (since it's 3 years+) but will now. The answer to your question is probably the UT lab school. We got on the list there back in August and haven't heard anything from them, which is typical. I don't expect to hear from them. But the academics there are well-regarded, and it's part time, and clearly no religious affiliation. We're also on the list at the nature & science center, which is more what our son will enjoy - not necessarily something for you.

Good luck - the pickins are slim - but I am FIRMLY in the "they don't really need preschool, particularly in Eanes, and the mass hysteria surrounding preschool is something I don't want to be a part of, either" camp.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:57 PM

5 posts, read 8,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maastrichtian View Post
but I am FIRMLY in the "they don't really need preschool, particularly in Eanes, and the mass hysteria surrounding preschool is something I don't want to be a part of, either" camp.
Amen! Watch out for those flashcards, OP. There is no long-term advantage to early academics, but there is more and more evidence of the harm they can cause. One study among many:

"By the end of their sixth year in school, children whose preschool
experiences had been academically directed earned significantly lower grades compared to children who had attended child-initiated preschool classes. Children's later school success appears to have been enhanced by more active, child-initiated early learning experiences. Their progress may have been slowed by overly academic preschool experiences that introduced formalized learning experiences too early for most children's developmental status."
--"Moving up the Grades: Relationship between Preschool Model and Later School Success" by Rebecca A. Marcon, Early Childhood Research and Practice, Spring, 2002

If what you really need is a safe, enjoyable place for your child to be while you're at work, then I'd say make that your first priority and be very suspicious of anyone's "curriculum" for kids this age.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:35 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,004,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PicklesCureHiccups View Post
Amen! Watch out for those flashcards, OP. There is no long-term advantage to early academics, but there is more and more evidence of the harm they can cause. One study among many:

"By the end of their sixth year in school, children whose preschool
experiences had been academically directed earned significantly lower grades compared to children who had attended child-initiated preschool classes. Children's later school success appears to have been enhanced by more active, child-initiated early learning experiences. Their progress may have been slowed by overly academic preschool experiences that introduced formalized learning experiences too early for most children's developmental status."
--"Moving up the Grades: Relationship between Preschool Model and Later School Success" by Rebecca A. Marcon, Early Childhood Research and Practice, Spring, 2002

If what you really need is a safe, enjoyable place for your child to be while you're at work, then I'd say make that your first priority and be very suspicious of anyone's "curriculum" for kids this age.
Totally agreed. The best early childhood education is play based and child centered. I know the OP was against religious based preschools, but they are the best in Austin, especially the Episcopal preschools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin