U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-30-2011, 02:08 PM

145 posts, read 188,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
For 2010 I agree, that was equivalent to 1 job for every 6.7 people who moved here.

For 2011 and 2012 that is one job for every 3.19 and 2.58 people. That is not too bad considering that is roughly 1 job for every family of 3 people moving here.
Yes, but that doesn't take into consideration that those new jobs are also going to be taken by the unemployed people that already live here. They are not just for the people moving here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 02:27 PM

63 posts, read 57,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
but when you read these forecasts and then read about AISD's latest trevails, City of Austin cutting here and there, and the Legislature slicing and dicing...I'd hate for people to move and then lament about how it didn't meet expectations.
I know they don't teach this in school but shrinking government is almost always good for business. It's those other states you should fear, who keep spending regardless of tax revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
It's cost of living will continue to be out of most people's range forcing more and more people into the suburbs making an already horrendous infastructure situation even worse.
Cost of living is supply and demand... someone out there simply wants certain things more than you do and is willing to pay more than you for them. And if this is a free country, they have that right, boo hoo.

This is another thing confusing to me... Austin seems to have a tech deficit again, more tech jobs (especially ASP.NET) than people willing to fill them. My question is, what useless skills have the rest of you been wasting your time to develop?

Old 01-31-2011, 12:57 PM

14,536 posts, read 21,209,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2Texas View Post
Yes, but that doesn't take into consideration that those new jobs are also going to be taken by the unemployed people that already live here. They are not just for the people moving here.
Of course, notice that there is a corresponding decrease in the unemployment rate also.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:35 PM

145 posts, read 188,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Of course, notice that there is a corresponding decrease in the unemployment rate also.

Yes, my point was that the number of new jobs does not seem large enough to employ new residents AND lower the unemployment rate. I would think we would need that many jobs added just to lower the unemployment of the people that already live here. You pointed out that there is approx 1 new job for every 3 people moving here, but that doesn't consider the fact that not all of the new jobs will be going to new people. JMO.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:34 PM

32 posts, read 43,214 times
Quote:
I know they don't teach this in school but shrinking government is almost always good for business.
<---- Yeah, that!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:38 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,567,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricninja View Post
I know they don't teach this in school but shrinking government is almost always good for business. It's those other states you should fear, who keep spending regardless of tax revenue.
One more time. Yes.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:46 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,521,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricninja View Post
No.

Shrinking some government is good for buisness and society.

The problem is, it's the wrong programs that get shrunk. Shrinking government to the point where there is no oversight over buisness is a bad bad thing indeed, yet this is what I hear a lot of people advocating for.

Dismantling all oversight into our banking regulations was not good for the government, not good for the people, and was actually not good for the buisnesses themselves, banks in this example. Your above adage most definately does not apply to the banking industry.

Why don't the people who advocate and philosiphize the above statement actually champion shrinking government programs like the military? Or Operation Hold-the-Line in Texas, if you want a local example?

Government is neither a good or a bad thing. Anyone who says differently is a partisan operative. Governments can do bad things, governments can do good things. Sweeping statements like "shrinking all government is good" are not only silly, but they have been proven to be completely incorrect. Quite recently proven in fact.

They don't teach in in school Ninja, because it's not true.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:18 AM

650 posts, read 1,188,697 times
Damn, that means my property tax may push me out of my home if my house value keeps going up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin