Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:32 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,493 times

Advertisements

We have a side yard that is heavily shaded. The Bermuda has pretty much died off in that area. What shade tolerant sod will blend well with Bermuda and do well in the heat of Austin. I don't want to sod it with Bermuda because it will just disappear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 09:41 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Monkey grass works well in shaded areas, but it is more of a ground cover instead of a sod. However, it is beautiful and you never have to mow it.

If you insist on a sod, St. Augustine will work well in shaded areas. It requires lots of water, but it does well in the shade. In my yard, in the summer the shady areas grow gangbuster while the St. Augustine in the sun withers away. I think Bermuda in the sun and St. Augustine in the shade works well.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:43 AM

481 posts, read 2,416,627 times
I have some heavy shade areas in my yard so I tried St. Augustine and that did not work. St. Augustine is the only grass here that can tolerate SOME shade. I now have river rock on the sides of my house. I don't have to mow, very few weeds because of the shade and it helps keep the termites away from the foundation of the house.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
St. Augustine does well in partially shaded areas, but still needs some sun. I planted St. Augustine sod twice in the shaded areas between my house and my neighbors, only to have it die off. I ended up putting gravel and a paver stone walkway in those areas. Adding some monkey grass in that area is a good idea so its not all gravel and stone.

You can replace large sod areas with monkey grass and never have to mow it again. Here is one example where that was done. http://www.louisvilleky.gov/APCD/law...roundCover.htm

One thing to watch out for in mixing St. Augustine with Bermuda, you need a good border dividing the two, otherwise the St. Augustine will grow out into the Bermuda and take it over. It is much more effective at crowding out weeds and Bermuda then Bermuda grass is, but it is a water hog, so if you have a good Bermuda lawn you are better off keeping it and keeping the St. Augustine out.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:20 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,912 times
Most of the zoysia sods do well in shade and don't require much water. There's some that look similar to bermuda.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:26 AM

589 posts, read 1,812,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
One thing to watch out for in mixing St. Augustine with Bermuda, you need a good border dividing the two, otherwise the St. Augustine will grow out into the Bermuda and take it over. It is much more effective at crowding out weeds and Bermuda then Bermuda grass is, but it is a water hog, so if you have a good Bermuda lawn you are better off keeping it and keeping the St. Augustine out.
Agreed, St. Augustine really is just a cultivated weed and it will encroach on everything given the slightest opportunity. Resistance is futile.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:33 AM

How about dispensing with grass alltogether and put in some gravel or decomposed granite with a nice limestone path? You could also enhance the area with some shade tolerant ornamental grass plugs or other foliage.

Check out this little pathway that motherofthree did. It looks like it is in full sun but you can get the idea.

I saw a beautiful rose garden

Old 01-29-2011, 02:16 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
How about dispensing with grass alltogether and put in some gravel or decomposed granite with a nice limestone path? You could also enhance the area with some shade tolerant ornamental grass plugs or other foliage.

Check out this little pathway that motherofthree did. It looks like it is in full sun but you can get the idea.

I saw a beautiful rose garden
Seems like it would be a pain to drag the mower over an area like that. This is the only route into the back yard.

Zoysia sounds promising.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Seems like it would be a pain to drag the mower over an area like that. This is the only route into the back yard.

Zoysia sounds promising.
Upon reflection, I think we've had this conversation before.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:48 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post

Zoysia sounds promising.
Zoysia is more expensive then St. Augustine and according to the City of Austin Grow Green website Zoysia does not do as well in shade as St. Augustine does.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growgreen.../turfgrass.pdf

Alternatives to turf grass that they suggest for shade areas are liriope, monkey grass and river fern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin