Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:29 PM

19 posts, read 45,493 times

Advertisements

please tell me, what is it like? in a few months, summer starts again...tell me how u feel in general about this, is it easy to adjust to this harsh life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 08:41 PM

370 posts, read 999,192 times
Yup, I've been here for 2 summers.

Last summer I took up cycling, spent a lot of time outdoors.
Got used to it. Once the weather dropped back to 80, it felt cold :-)

My house backs to a golf course, people golf all summer long.
Cycle, Kayak ......

Like the heat better then the frigid North East winters.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:46 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,584 times
One thing I will never get used to is not being able to open windows at night to get fresh air. I come from Sacramento, CA and we have these lovely Delta Breezes that come through and blow all the summer away when the sun goes down. You need a sweater sometimes in the evening. It makes the 100+ degree days bearable. No such luck here.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:08 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
Summer looks good about right now. My hands are dry and cracked from the cold air and this cedar pollen level 1800+ is horrible. One advantage of the hot and dry summers is all the grass and underbrush just dries out and prevents any allergies. Also, the humidity keeps my skin looking good!

Old 01-29-2011, 09:24 PM

659 posts, read 1,759,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorma1 View Post
please tell me, what is it like? in a few months, summer starts again...tell me how u feel in general about this, is it easy to adjust to this harsh life?
Well - we don't exactly consider this "south Texas." More like central Texas - there is a difference in terms of climate.

August and September can be rough - especially if you're an outdoor enthusiast. I'm a (very) amateur gardener, so I find those 2 months particularly frustrating because you just can't get anything done outside without risking heat stroke.

But the trade off is that we get to do stuff outside pretty much the entire rest of the year (maybe with the exception of January which can get pretty chilly).

And I agree with other posters - it's better than harsh north winters.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:25 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,988 times
I don't think it is any harsher if a life than living somewhere where it snows all the time. Life is so much simpler not having to wear 4 layers of clothes and boots and making sure you have a cold weather kit in the car (poptarts and a shovel and blankets for me) having to shovel of the sidewalk and drive only to have the plow come by and dump more snow on the driveway. Not to mention the poop that frozen on contact then defrosted some months later..yah I really miss that one. Having to drive in the stuff sucks and where I was the city put flags about 3 feet tall (like bike flags) to show folks where the curbs were during the winter. I grew up down here and winter truly sucks you just dont know any better till you experience it for a season! Live down here go visit the cold once a year..thats enough!

Old 01-29-2011, 09:30 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
sorma1,

The question to you should indeed be "Is it easy to adjust to the harsh winter of MN after living in Austin?"

Old 01-30-2011, 12:08 AM

19 posts, read 45,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
sorma1,

The question to you should indeed be "Is it easy to adjust to the harsh winter of MN after living in Austin?"
dude it sucksssssssss! u got me!

Old 01-30-2011, 12:10 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,101 times
The. heat. is. brutal.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:30 AM

370 posts, read 999,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
sorma1,

Ahhh MN,

Spent most of my life in MI, and NY
Here in Austin, the most brutal weather, you swet

MI and NY, in the most brutal weather, you freeze to death.
Remember warnings that it was so called, you should wear eye protection
or your eyeballs could freeze ????
Yowzer !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin