U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 30,804 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm planning to relocate to Austin from NY. I have 2 school going kids. I would like to get some valuable info from the Austin residents.

In which part of Austin, are the majority of Indians populated?
Which neighbourhood is safe, convenient, and stocked with desis?
In which area are the best schools located?

If someone could point to one area that serves all of the above, that would be great,,!!

I've read a lot about schools in TX, but the school district allocations are kind of confusing, compared to the east coast.

Any info and suggestions in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 02:07 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,136,374 times
From what I've seen, there are quite a few Indian families in NW Austin and the Avery Ranch area. Avery Ranch has a lot of newer construction and is sort of in-between Cisco and Dell. Schools are good in that area and housing is affordable for Austin. I wouldn't say that it's that convenient and/or stocked with desis, but it's safe with good schools and I do see Indian families in that area. The "best" schools are in the Eanes school district on the West side of Austin, but housing is pretty expensive there.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:16 PM

554 posts, read 1,654,828 times
I saw more Indian people around when I lived in NW Austin. This was in the Techridge and Wells Branch areas. I figure this is because Samsung, Dell, HP are all nearby. I don't know what a desi is but most of those neighborhoods are simply mixed with families of multiple races.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:32 PM

2,102 posts, read 4,278,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lav_sat View Post
Hi all,

I'm planning to relocate to Austin from NY. I have 2 school going kids. I would like to get some valuable info from the Austin residents.

In which part of Austin, are the majority of Indians populated?
Which neighbourhood is safe, convenient, and stocked with desis?
In which area are the best schools located?

If someone could point to one area that serves all of the above, that would be great,,!!

I've read a lot about schools in TX, but the school district allocations are kind of confusing, compared to the east coast.

Any info and suggestions in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I always see a ton of Indian families at the Costco in North Austin. I think there's a large Indian population in North Austin and Round Rock near hi-tech employers like Dell, Samsung, HP, etc.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 30,804 times
Thanks for the quick info. Expecting some more.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:24 PM

101 posts, read 205,318 times
there is a big indian community in round rock. there are also some indian families in lakeway and there are a couple of international private schools that also cater to some of these families. lake travis schools (public) are also good

Old 02-02-2011, 01:26 PM

14,769 posts, read 32,668,702 times
Although not a community, there are quite a few Indians in SW Austin, again, majority are probably hi-tech workers (Freescale, AMD)

Old 02-02-2011, 01:28 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,762,733 times
Can't speak to "how large is large", but we personally know several Indian families NW in the Spicewood Elementary/Canyon Vista/Westwood area (generally regarded as one of the better feeder patterns in Austin).

Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 PM

4,577 posts, read 6,217,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Can't speak to "how large is large", but we personally know several Indian families NW in the Spicewood Elementary/Canyon Vista/Westwood area (generally regarded as one of the better feeder patterns in Austin).
I agree. & to piggyback on this.

My observation for most of the schools feeding into Westwood HS, would be that whatever the Asian demographic is.....probably 1/2 of the "Asians" are Indian. (I'd look on Great Schools for the demographic breakdowns.)

Lots of Indians attending Canyon Creek ES & Grisham MS (which also feed into Westwood) as well.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:50 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,762,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I agree. & to piggyback on this.

My observation for most of the schools feeding into Westwood HS, would be that whatever the Asian demographic is.....probably 1/2 of the "Asians" are Indian. (I'd look on Great Schools for the demographic breakdowns.)

Lots of Indians attending Canyon Creek ES & Grisham MS (which also feed into Westwood) as well.
Actually the RRISD site contains ethnic breakdowns for each school. For instance:

% Asians

Spicewood - 32%
Canyon Creek - 37%

Canyon Vista - 38%
Grisham - 19%

Westwood - 24%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin