U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:45 PM

75,644 posts, read 36,811,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
That's right. I am from the Midwest and know how to drive in the snow and ice. However, when City of Austin is unprepared, there is a solid coating of ice that falls before the snow and there is no sand and no salt on the road it's just impossible to drive. I tried to go into the office this morning but could barely make it up the minor incline near my house in south Austin. It was impossible and dangerous so I smartly turned around and went home.
Austin just does not have the equipment to do that kind of prep work.
Limited equipment usually heads for the major bridges and roadways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 04:58 PM

5,105 posts, read 3,477,650 times
From the AAS:

Old 02-04-2011, 07:11 PM

702 posts, read 1,002,513 times
Quote:
Austin just does not have the equipment to do that kind of prep work.
Limited equipment usually heads for the major bridges and roadways.
I totally understand and I'm actually not criticizing. But it's all the more proof it just wasn't safe to drive in Austin this morning and people who stayed off the roads aren't "wussies".

Old 02-04-2011, 07:45 PM

75,644 posts, read 36,811,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
I totally understand and I'm actually not criticizing. But it's all the more proof it just wasn't safe to drive in Austin this morning and people who stayed off the roads aren't "wussies".
Quite true. We're in an odd place that we usually get the ice over the snow.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:23 PM

8,642 posts, read 16,475,566 times
It wasn't just Austin either. A friend of mine in Corpus said they got snow and I had friends in Houston say a lot of things shut down due to ice. My Dallas family was snowed in for 3 to 4 days, and they live all around the City.

I lived in Denver and am also comfortable driving in snow, but even there, when ice is on the road you are advised not to drive. Snow is different than ice and Texas can get more ice than just snow covering the roadways. We are not a typically "Winter heavy" state and don't get much at all, if any. The State doesn't have the resources that States who see heavy snowfall on a regular basis have. If people don't want to drive on a sheet of ice, I don't call that Wussie, I call it smart. And anyway, I totally enjoyed my snow day

Old 02-04-2011, 10:34 PM

3,790 posts, read 2,849,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedogatemyhomework View Post
i'm from the midwest and agree, but it's great - snow days for kids and no work for grown-ups, can't complain there!
Yeah but they shutdown things in the midwest on account of the heat. Schools closing when it's above 90 degrees for instance. We laugh at that, if we closed school when it was above 90 then school would have to begin in mid October! Also, when places like Chicago hit 100 degrees, they are acting like it's the end of the world while we're unfazed.

Our city is built for the heat, cities in the midwest are built for the cold.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:36 PM

16,525 posts, read 23,108,318 times
XLadyLawX, you ask how rare it is here. When my daughter, Austin born and bred, was 10, all she wanted for her 10th birthday was to see snow. (I took her with me up to a horse farm in Massachusetts in January, her birth month, just so she could see some.) Now she lives in Canada - guess she really liked it!

It's exceedingly rare to have it two years in a row.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:38 PM

3,790 posts, read 2,849,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
From the AAS:
Absolutely beautiful photo.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:38 PM

371 posts, read 327,027 times
A lot of the snow is gone but our area has a 20% chance for more next Tuesday and then 30% chance on Wednesday!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:33 AM

5,105 posts, read 3,477,650 times
In the shadows of bridges & flyovers, there were still substantial stretches of sheet ice yesterday afternoon.

I hit one while doing 40mph westbound on the 620 frontage road approaching 183 about 3PM - didn't see it coming because of the trafffic ahead of me. The Jeep spun out and we slid across all three lanes until I regained control. The cars behind us scattered like roaches in the school cafeteria when the light is switched on. Nobody collided, thank gawd.

A wreck was reported there at rush hour later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin