Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:47 AM

116 posts, read 362,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Wow, that's over a quarter-ton 'suspended' above the w/d.(unless you meant that the control is suspended) Not a set-up I've ever seen. If the hot water is 'way' too hot, I'd adjust the setting. Otherwise, you may not enjoy the lower temp water after he re-sets it. Seems a little strange to have a 50 gal unit for your 830 sq ft apartment...that's heating a LOT of water to have it just sit in the tank much of the time(unless you're running a laundry or taking 4 baths a day).
No, the whole water heater is suspended above. They built a "floor" that makes a 90 degree angle with the adjacent laundrey room wall. The "floor" is about 3ft X 3ft and the whole take sits on it. There's some metal support bars and what not, so it seems pretty stable. I guess they didn't have room for a utility closet? Who knows. And yes, our water tank is big, but I just double checked and it is 38 gallons, not 50.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:49 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
A "quarter ton" sounds like a lot but that is only 500 lbs. equivalent to two big guys standing on the rafters above. Whether its suspended or standing on top of the rafters makes no difference to the structural carrying capacity. My hot water heater is set up on top of the rafters in my attic. Makes it difficult to replace (2 man job) but otherwise it does fine.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:54 PM

385 posts, read 1,248,518 times
I'm glad I'm not the only one. My winter bill has been close to double my summer bill (I'm all electric as well).

Old 02-04-2011, 03:07 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Insulation is the best investment you can make, pays itself back very quickly.
Seriously.

I did the Atticat blow in insulation from Home Depot. My wife loaded the hopper while I spread it in the attic. It took less than 3 hours and cost $600 total to add 20 bags to a single story 2800 sq ft house. We saved that much already this year. Fantastic investment. I'm considering doing 10 more in the spring.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:14 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
If you're in an apartment on the lower level and you face north, your winter electric heat will be higher than your summer A/C bill as you never get sun into that apartment. If you are on the top floor regardless of which way you face, your summer bill will greatly exceed your winter bill (heat rises). If you face east and on the bottom floor, your winter may be a smidge more. If you face west and on the bottom floor, it will be about the same. If you face south no matter what, you'll have a higher A/C bill on the account of the winter sun warming your apartment so you'll need less heat.

I always say the best thing is to get a southeast facing lower floor room to save the most money overall.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
If you're in an apartment on the lower level and you face north, your winter electric heat will be higher than your summer A/C bill as you never get sun into that apartment. If you are on the top floor regardless of which way you face, your summer bill will greatly exceed your winter bill (heat rises). If you face east and on the bottom floor, your winter may be a smidge more. If you face west and on the bottom floor, it will be about the same. If you face south no matter what, you'll have a higher A/C bill on the account of the winter sun warming your apartment so you'll need less heat.

I always say the best thing is to get a southeast facing lower floor room to save the most money overall.
Certainly solar exposure can make a difference, but I don't believe you can say any of those statements with absolute certainty in every single case. There are too many other factors that can make a difference.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Certainly solar exposure can make a difference, but I don't believe you can say any of those statements with absolute certainty in every single case. There are too many other factors that can make a difference.
Yes these are generalities. Also the energy efficiency of the appliances, the kind of windows, the insulation, etc... factor in. Also, the temperature you like to keep the apartment factors in.

If I lived in an apartment in Austin, there is no way I'd live in the top floor of an apartment building though. Basically you are paying the bulk of the cooling for everyone below you. I don't think I'd want to live on the north side of an apartment either. Even though summer cooling costs would be low, the lack of sun year round and higher heating costs to me would not make it worth it.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:58 PM

The biggest problem that top floor apartment has is all the roof area that is exposed to the solar gain from the sun. Heat gain from an apartment below is miniscule in comparison.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:33 PM

481 posts, read 2,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickledpink View Post
...Compared to past months?

We live in a 830 sq ft apartment. We are on the ground level and our building is brand new, just built in 2009 so we have good windows, etc.

Our electric bill for January usage was 78 dollars.
Wow - my electric bill was $82 and I have 3000 sf. Check out powertochoose.org and get a better rate and lock in now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: