U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,057 times
Default calling Austin experts... neighborhood advice

My wife and I are moving to Austin from Long Island, New York. My job is relo in Austin. She's a therapist and will probably set up a practice close to wherever we are living once she gets a reciprocal license from Texas.
We are 35. Interracial. Kids ranging from 2nd-8th grade.
Schools are important. We want a lot of house for our money. We still like to go out dancing and we love live music. She's likes shopping.
We haven't even been to Austin to start seeing homes yet. We have no idea looking online. She thinks we might enjoy the southern part of Austin but that it may be no good for kids. She also gathered that Round Rock may be good for the kids but we'll be bored to tears.
Any ideas?
We are paying cash for our home and want to stay under $300,000.
Also it looks like Austin is a very young place.... should we be prepared to feel old in Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 05:48 PM

8,630 posts, read 16,011,538 times
Just come and visit. We're not bored to tears and we live outside of Round Rock. It's not like Austin is an hour or more drive away or anything and we go into the City often and we also go to the lakes a lot and to other towns around Austin. I also don't think S. Austin would be a bad place for kids. The only reason my husband says he would NOT live in S. Austin is because of the terrible traffic.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:55 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,673,937 times
South and SW Austin are great places for kids. You really need to visit! ASAP

You won't feel old here, if anything, you'll feel young longer. Really consider renting first.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:20 PM

14,321 posts, read 20,138,293 times
There are good neighborhoods in both North and South Austin, its best to live in one close to where you will be working. If South Austin works for you I'd encourage you to look at Legend Oaks, SW Austin.

Love Roses probably did not mean to imply that traffic was worse in South Austin then it is in North because that is not the case.

Not sure it matters for therapy, but most hospitals and medical centers are in N. Austin but there are two Hospitals in South Austin too.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:25 PM

2,596 posts, read 2,624,368 times
The key is to first figure out where you will be working and then start looking from there. If your job transfer puts you in an office in north Austin, you will have a bad commute trying to get to/from south Austin every day. Traffic here is a problem and the best bet is to live reasonably close to where you work. There are good neighborhoods and communities all over the greater Austin area.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:35 PM

33 posts, read 46,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofthesnow View Post
My wife and I are moving to Austin from Long Island, New York. My job is relo in Austin. She's a therapist and will probably set up a practice close to wherever we are living once she gets a reciprocal license from Texas.
We are 35. Interracial. Kids ranging from 2nd-8th grade.
Schools are important. We want a lot of house for our money. We still like to go out dancing and we love live music. She's likes shopping.
We haven't even been to Austin to start seeing homes yet. We have no idea looking online. She thinks we might enjoy the southern part of Austin but that it may be no good for kids. She also gathered that Round Rock may be good for the kids but we'll be bored to tears.
Any ideas?
We are paying cash for our home and want to stay under $300,000.
Also it looks like Austin is a very young place.... should we be prepared to feel old in Austin?
We are in similar situations it seems... no kids here yet but hopefully soon... I'm 34 and wife is 30... same budget, same concerns, etc... We are moving from North Jersey... I'm very afraid of these commuting nightmares, so trying to choose location wisely!

Old 02-06-2011, 01:03 AM

26 posts, read 25,549 times
Default moving to Austin

No worries about your age - although Austin is a university town, it has a great vibe for anyone 30+ as well. Lots of professionals here in the tech and creative industries.

I want to echo the sentiments of everyone who suggests that you visit. Also, don't be afraid to rent for a while before you commit to buying. Get to know the city, and figure out what kind of commute suits you best, and what kind of school atmosphere you like for your kids.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:50 PM

3,737 posts, read 5,296,972 times
We live in SW Austin (circle C) and my husband commutes NW everyday. It is not a problem at all as long as he goes offpeak. It takes him 25 minutes to go 21 miles. If he changed his commute a half an hour later though, it would be rough.

That said, if you have kids you will be fine in either Round Rock or South Austin. We chose SW even though it meant my husband would have a commute because we could find a home in our price range that was closer into town. We were shooting for 300K but ended up spending a little bit more because we found a house that we thought was "perfect." You can certainly find houses for 300K or less here.

If we'd chosen to move north, our budget would have had us in Cedar Park, Steiner Ranch, or Round Rock. Knowing how lazy we are, we really wanted to be closer to town than that. Yesterday, it was beautiful so we jumped in the car and 12 minutes later we were at Town Lake for a brisk family walk. We are there or at Zilker at least once a week, and I know if we moved north, that wouldn't be a part of our routine. We love being able to drive just 10-15 minutes to have lunch at the various food carts in South Austin. It's also fun to be able drive 15 minutes and be at the capital, the Blanton or Bob Bullock history museum.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:14 PM

14,321 posts, read 20,138,293 times
I also live in SW Austin and echo Jennibc's comments. Traffic is usually not a problem at off-peak commute times. Which is great if you work for a company with flexible hours.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:17 PM

4,926 posts, read 9,587,747 times
Quote:
Schools are important. We want a lot of house for our money
Define "a lot of house for our money". You'll find, on average, family homes roughly $120 per sqft in Austin suburbs.

My first though at "good schools and more house for the money" was Leander. But therapy practices are concentrated in central Austin and Westlake, so SW Austin might be a good choice if you don't mind paying about $40K more than what you would for the same house in Round Rock or Leander.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin