Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:14 PM

9 posts, read 19,326 times

Advertisements

I have 2 lil ones n want them to be safe as possible in the backyard etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 12:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Ah, there's bugs. But if you are really concerned, just have the exterminator in regularly. As for poisonous critters, yes, we have them (rattlesnakes on our place), but for the most part, they're as afraid of you as you are of then (or moreso). There are scorpions in Central Texas; I've been here 40 years and I can count the number of times I've actually seen one on a little more than one hand. If you buy a home in a new development in a rocky area (the Hill Country area, say), you're more likely to see critters than if you buy in a developed neighborhood, because the new development WAS their (the critters') developed neighborhood before the bulldozers moved in (there goes the neighborhood!), and they're still looking for the old home place for a while.

It's not really anything to make a decision to move or not on, though. And your little ones will be safe (well, at least mine were, when they were coming up, and I wouldn't be at all concerned about my grandchildren when they come along).

Old 02-06-2011, 12:40 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
In Lakeway, there is Mangia, which is for sure upscale in its approach - no games at all, but a TV out on the patio. We also have a Pappa Murphy's and a Gatti's pretty far north on 620. (I've never been to Gatti's, but I've driven by it.) Going toward the south from Lakeway, there is a pizza place in the Hillcountry Galleria next to the theaters which is sort of a date place, in my mind. It is Tony C's Coalfired Pizza. It has a bar and sort of a hip atmosphere. Then across highway 71 from the Galleria is a strictly Italian place that serves very thin crust pizza and well as other Italian dishes. There is also an Italian deli in there, and on weekends they have an accordian player. It's a very casual but charming place, but I haven't noticed any games. I'm new to the area, but we are a family that eats pizza every Saturday night, and that's what I know about pizza in Lakeway. I might have missed some places, but perhaps someone else will fill in the picture.
There is no Mangia Pizza in Lakeway. Lakeway has Mangieri. Mangia is an Austin staple but not in Lakeway.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:25 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddleDeeD View Post
Has anyone mentioned that it is something like 90-99 percent of all new restaurants fail. If you have a successful one already going strong after 4 years, why would you ever walk away from that?

Define "new". All restaurants eventual fail, as it could mean 30 days or 30 years. I don't think Austin has that type of attrition rate - it's more like 25% if you're talking "new" as in "didn't turn a profit during it's short existence."

Also, didn't Craig-O's build a new restaurant in Lakeway? If that place or Double Dave's can cut it (no pun) then any pizza place can. I would recommend the OP start with a low-overhead plan, such as a food trailer. Spartan Pizza has cornered the market of far south Austin. Maybe somewhere SW or near the Triangle could work?

Old 02-06-2011, 01:37 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
If you're talking about a food trailer, and actually IN Austin, maybe somewhere in the Crestview/Brentwood area. That's pretty much virgin territory for the Austin trailer market, I think. Or perhaps in the 620/183 area.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:01 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
As people mentioned, Lakeway has Mangieri which has a great patio with tv's and a playground. We actually go there a lot because the kids love pizza and the playground, and it has good salads and such for us.

There are critters out here. We live very close to Lakeway and see about a scorpion a month in our house - and we have quarterly extermination service. There are also rattle snakes. I have only seen one once (in my neighbor's driveway). But two of our neighbors have had dogs who were bitten in their yards. There was also an instance a few years ago of someone being bitten by a rattle snake at the Home Depot in Lakeway (it was hiding among the plants in the garden section). I have also seen two coral snakes.

It's a great area to raise kids, but I think it will be VERY hard to start a successful business here. The area is sort of being inundated with new restaurants right now.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:15 PM

9 posts, read 19,326 times
I wouldn't want to do the trailer thing, i'll probably look for a 3500 to 4000 sqft building that i can probably put a dozen tv's and 15-20 games with tickets and prizes, probably have some apps,salads,pasta, broaster chicken,subs, a signature dessert =) and of course great pizzas and strombolis.. I like what I've read about lakeway but does it ever get touristy there??

Old 02-06-2011, 04:58 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,508 times
Please serve gluten free options. You'd get us gluten free folks traveling for miles.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:03 PM

39 posts, read 96,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' Schmidts View Post
I wouldn't want to do the trailer thing, i'll probably look for a 3500 to 4000 sqft building that i can probably put a dozen tv's and 15-20 games with tickets and prizes, probably have some apps,salads,pasta, broaster chicken,subs, a signature dessert =) and of course great pizzas and strombolis.. I like what I've read about lakeway but does it ever get touristy there??
What was the name of your pizzeria and where was it located? I used to live in orange county

You're on the right track in terms of cities - Georgetown, Round Rock, Cedar Park. Round Rock and Georgetown, in particular, are great school districts.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:08 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Well I can tell you this, Pflugerville does not have a Double Daves or Gattiland or any place similar. It does however have a large under 18 demographic. So that is virgin territory there, especially in the NE part. You would also attract people from Taylor, Coupland, and Hutto. Many of the stores that opened in Stone Hill are doing very well...they are always full. I am a mother with children. I would pay your place a visit.

Then again, I guess P-ville will never be the trendy suburb like the usual Cedar Park, Round Rock, and Georgetown. Thank goodness other places have "seen the light", or we'd still be old strip malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin