Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 04:08 PM

12,867 posts, read 13,173,864 times

Advertisements

Well, since we used pretty expensive materials for the 60' stretch of back fence, it came to about $700 or a little more plus son's labor = that was 2 years ago.

He also built the side yard gate fence this past summer next to the garage - here's a pic I just took a few minutes ago from inside the gate:

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/ScoPro/2-4-11snow012.jpg (broken link)

Here's the back fence taken last week after the snow:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 04:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,839,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Agreed that Viking is more expensive- I did say that. My neighbor was being a pain, he had no right to even have an opinion about my taking down the fence as it was on my property line. Apparently, he had put in some money with the former owner of my house to build the existing, dilapidated fence- hence "his fence". Whatever, he was a jerk.
Yes, sorry my response was to the OP, my comments were not directed towards you. I agree your neighbor was out of line.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You should verify if the fence is on your property or not. If it is not, you have no obligation to replace it, nor any rights to tear the old one down and build a new one. You could always build a new on on your property if that is the case.

When I have taken fence bids in the past, Viking was far more expensive then anyone else.

Viking $4,180
Allied Fence Company $3,633

Allied Fence Company
512-255-5416 Office
Allied Fence Contractors Austin San Antonio Texas

Allied did a really good job on mine.

You do not need a building permit to build a fence no more then 6' high in Austin. Higher then that does require a permit and permission from your neighbors.
I had a third proposal from Capital City Fence, they responded: $16.50/ft and $75.00/gate with a $2.00/ft for removal.This includes weatherproofing the fence. So they were more expensive then Viking on the fence, less on the gate.

The viking proposal breaks down as follows:
215 FT TEAR OUT $430.00 = $2/FT
215 FT 6 FT WOOD ON STEEL GAL. POSTS TREATED RAILS $3500.00=$16.28/FT
1 GATE $125.00

The low bid I accepted was not broken out, just a total lump sum.

There is a lot of limestone in my soil. My neighbor and I tried replacing a couple of posts and it was a *****. We calculated by the time we rented a jack hammer to dig the holes and paid for all the materials, doing the work ourselves would save us at best 30% of the cost. We decided it was worth it to pay 30% more, to have the contractor do all the work and haul off the old fence.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:17 PM

12,867 posts, read 13,173,864 times
No kiddin' CptnRN!

There's no way I'd be digging through rock myself - it's bad enough going through this gumbo dirt with posthole diggers.

Besides, you're helping some other guys make a living.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Holy Tamole!! We're going to put in some steel posts and wood panels and it's only on two sides of our lot. Hopefully get by much cheaper. The wooden posts that are in the ground are the problem...they rotted.

I also found out that we can get the stuff home by using our Home Depot card, (if you have a Home Depot card you get the deal with the truck). We don't live very far from the store so I think we can get back waaay before the 75 minutes. If you purchase at least $100 of material you get the first 75 minutes FREE of the delivery truck, (you drive). Sounds good to me. Plus our labor is free, (teens with too much testosterone).
If you don't already have a 10% off coupon from Lowe's, drop by the post office and ask for a moving packet(you could do it on line if you are going to 'stall' your project for a few weeks). The packets often contain a 10% off coup or $25 off $250 coup that Home Depot will be happy to match. I've also noticed that Lowe's @ 620/183 often has partial bundles of 2x4, etc outside of the contractor area--marked with 'take it away' prices. They might have fence materials at the right time. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2011, 09:47 PM

13 posts, read 37,743 times
[SIZE=3] 40’ of shared fence blew down during last week’s storm. Replaced three 4x4 posts , eight 2x4x8 stringers, and 75 fence boards for a grand total of $225. Finished yesterday and my neighbor has yet to stop by and give me any $$$. In fact, the neighbor chatted to me 3x while I was repairing but no mention of helping or sharing the cost. Tomorrow I thought I would present the receipts and see what I get. Can't hurt for trying. Some neighbors are just boneheads![/SIZE]

Old 02-11-2011, 08:56 AM

10 posts, read 29,816 times
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I was going to try and do this myself, but didn't have any clue where I could dump the old fence. Don't want to pay to take it to a dump, would rather wait for large bulk but that could be March or April.

I think I will look into someone removing and putting the posts in. I can hang the stringers and boards.

And I've dropped off a letter to each of my neighbors detailing what I propose to do. Hopefully some of them respond.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:48 AM

If you live in the City of Austin, they have a "Bulk collection" pick up day I think it is twice a year when they will come pick up large objects and debris like this. You will have to store it in your yard someplace until they do that pick-up. They typically mail a notice to residents in the area notifiying them several weeks ahead of time when it will be scheduled. City of Austin - Bulk Item Collection

Lumber has to be nail free, so you may have to spend a little time removing the nails.

They will come pick it up anytime for a $120 fee.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:46 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,964,980 times
Thank you for starting this thread and all the others for the good information. I printed out that picture of the fence ScoPro and using it as a guide. That's a sturdy looking fence! Nice job!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:03 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,786,167 times
I used Allied for a section of fence that had collapsed during a storm. It was a side facing a neighbor, and they contributed half so that was nice. We put in stainless steel fence posts in concrete as the wood always get eaten out by carpenter ants after a few years. The boards are all cedar.

I also replaced a front section of the fence with a gate and a column, it looks real nice. Allied subcontracts out the masonry work and the subcontractor did an awesome job - hill country limestone and it matches well with the cedar fence.

I would post pics but still haven't figured out how to insert pics in here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin