U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 04:35 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,389,649 times
Default Anyone think we are getting another freeze day?

Wednsday night looks like it will be below freezing and wet. Maybe we will have a late start to the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 06:44 PM

2,704 posts, read 5,435,046 times
This is what the News8Austin website says:

Another arctic front is on the way, but before it arrives, we'll see widespread rain across the area overnight. Temps will start above freezing early Wednesday morning, then as the windy strong cold front arrives, the rain will start mixing with sleet, freezing rain, maybe even a bit of snow. This transition seems like it will occur as soon as 5AM for Waco and thefar W and NW Hill Country, then an hour or 2 later for Austin. This will likely make for a very slow AM commute.

I'm heading out early and hoping the worst is over by the time 5 PM comes.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:35 PM

2,073 posts, read 3,725,231 times
Hopefully AISD will be in session. The school decided that the make up day for last week will be on MEMORIAL Day. How horrible is that for the kids? Why do they need to make up the day anyway? It's pointless. First budget cuts and now bad decisions. AISD is ridiculous.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 PM

359 posts, read 595,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Hopefully AISD will be in session. The school decided that the make up day for last week will be on MEMORIAL Day. How horrible is that for the kids? Why do they need to make up the day anyway? It's pointless. First budget cuts and now bad decisions. AISD is ridiculous.
Odd. In Michigan we were allotted so many snow days per year (5ish), but apparently that's not a consideration in TX.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:15 PM

2,596 posts, read 2,573,521 times
Every state has its own requirements about how many days students are required to attend during the school year (180, for example.) In some states (northern ones where numerous snow days are expected), they automatically build extra days into the year (let's say 5) and just schedule the year to run for longer (scheduling 185 days of school on the calendar.) After they reach their expected days (5), then additional snow days are deducted from holidays as well, or students are required to go longer into the summer than planned until they reach 180 days of holding classes.

It's done differently here because our weather is generally milder. Many years, we require no snow days, so 180 days are scheduled of school. Then they designate bad weather make-up days. If we do not require a snow day, the bad weather make-up days (scheduled in the spring) will be holidays. If we do require a snow day, they turn back into regular school days. This is to prevent extending the school year further into June (which is never popular either.)

So, while AISD is hardly perfect, you can blame this one on the laws of the state of Texas. They are required to hold class for so many days per year.

Last edited by h886; 02-08-2011 at 08:26 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 08:46 PM

482 posts, read 1,091,190 times
RRISD make up day is Memorial Day also. I thought that was odd. I can only imagine how many families have plans already for the holiday.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:59 PM

2,596 posts, read 2,573,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
RRISD make up day is Memorial Day also. I thought that was odd. I can only imagine how many families have plans already for the holiday.
It's hard to know what the *best* calendar would be when trying to make it. AISD sends out multiple drafts and lets families/staff vote on which model they prefer. Personally I would like seeing a few more holidays built into the school year, as I think the kids get pretty burned out at certain times and need a break even if it's a short one, but my calendar choices never seem to win . On the flip side, I understand the other side's point, that it shortens the summer and makes it harder on parents who work when they have kids too young to stay home alone. Much easier to make plans for a block of time like the summer than the random days that pop up here and there.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:22 PM

2,073 posts, read 3,725,231 times
Most kids will not be going to school that day!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:47 PM

669 posts, read 431,266 times
I don't think tomorrow is going to be like last week. I think you will see some rain and not much else. Maybe a little ice by mid-morning.

With that being said I hope I'm wrong!

Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 AM

8,632 posts, read 17,424,889 times
Temperature dropped fast this morning! I went out and started my car, noticed there was rain drops on the windshield, and hit the wipers w/o thinking - oops! It was all ice. Between 6:15 and 6:45 it dropped from 35 ish to 26ish at my house. Roads were all still clear, as far as I could tell, in South Austin, but hear there is overpass/fly over issues in the northern Austin area. The wind is blowing so hard, it is drying the water off the roads quickly in exposed areas, so maybe that will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin