Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 01:12 PM

6 posts, read 4,960 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am relocating and should be in the city on Friday, I'm pretty excited. I am moving alone, just packing what I can fit in my car. I have a question about an apartment complex and the surrounding area that I am looking at. The apartment is called Hunter's Glen on 2309 Berkeley Ave, I checked out some review sites for the complex and they seem pretty decent. I am just a bit concerned about the area around the complex. Anyone have any insight? Thanks a lot and can't wait to be in Austin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 01:33 PM

Wow..I'm reading that 78745 zip is not a great place.....

Old 02-13-2011, 01:36 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,467 times
Where will you be working? What is your budget for an apartment? Any other considerations like kids/pets or wanting a safe area?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Where will you be working? What is your budget for an apartment? Any other considerations like kids/pets or wanting a safe area?
The main office for Whole Foods Market. My budget is around 600-650 mo, I'm a 30yr old male and I'm single, I have a pet and I would like a safe area.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:02 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
Boy, you had me going..I can see you're going to be a trip in this town! LOL!!

Where you live is like suburban USA, in fact, your major complaint will probably be how boring the area seems..in a couple months, you'll probably be pinning to live "where the action is" !

Old 02-13-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Boy, you had me going..I can see you're going to be a trip in this town! LOL!!

Where you live is like suburban USA, in fact, your major complaint will probably be how boring the area seems..in a couple months, you'll probably be pinning to live "where the action is" !
Wow lol! I was just really worried! I actually like it to be quiet outside and not worry about street noise. All my life I have lived in a quiet areas and have always enjoyed it. So that area is safe? I just looked on google street views and it seems pretty nice. There's an elementary school across the street and just down the road are some nice houses with newer looking cars. I'm just really excited to be going to Austin, I've only flown into Houston airport a couple of times so I never experienced Austin!

Old 02-13-2011, 02:38 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
I don't know anything about the apartment complex but the neighborhood is not bad. You will be fine there. That area is safe, Austin has a very low violent crime rate but high property crime rates, so don't leave valuables laying around or out in your car.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I don't know anything about the apartment complex but the neighborhood is not bad. You will be fine there. That area is safe, Austin has a very low violent crime rate but high property crime rates, so don't leave valuables laying around or out in your car.
Ok thank you, I will keep that in mind.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:18 PM

844 posts, read 2,019,477 times
It's an okay area - lower middle class/working class - but for $600 a month you can't expect to live in the nicer area unless the place is tiny.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:32 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
It's an okay area - lower middle class/working class - but for $600 a month you can't expect to live in the nicer area unless the place is tiny.
Actually I have a friend who is renting a one bedroom a block north of Far West Blvd for $525/month. That neighborhood is not only safe but it has a lot of local businesses within walking distance plus the JCC. The big difference I have seen with apartments is not so much the area of town but the age and amenities of the various complexes. Case in point go less than a mile north and the same size apartment at the Domain with all the bells and whistles would probably cost you ~$900.

Overall Austin is still a good value for renters............just avoid most duplexes. For some reason, unless they are in the really nice parts of town, they just attract crazy people.

As far as the area in question I used to live about a mile SW of those apartments. Not too much bad happens in that area so if you keep aware of your surroundings nothing bad will happen. Cool thing about that location is you are within walking distance of a nice little grocery store, Newflower Market. There are also some parks in that area namely Garrison, Longview and (farther but worth the trip) Mary Moore Seawright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin