Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:01 AM

515 posts, read 1,396,999 times

Advertisements

[quote= Texans do not tolerate honking of car horns or road rage....they are courteous drivers and will allow you into traffic but than you are to resume the fast pace. =quote]

I think you must live in a different Austin then I live in. I have never been honked at so much or seen such crazy drivers as I do here in Austin, and I have driven in lots of other states. But, other than the crazy drivers, I LOVE Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 09:31 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eichlerfan View Post
I think you must live in a different Austin then I live in. I have never been honked at so much or seen such crazy drivers as I do here in Austin, and I have driven in lots of other states. But, other than the crazy drivers, I LOVE Austin.
I assume you've driven Mopac, then.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I assume you've driven Mopac, then.
Oh yeah, just about everyday. LOL

Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, just about everyday. LOL
I've found I-35 to be more peaceful and less congested during rush hour. There seems to be more angry drivers on Mopac for some reason.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:01 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
The drivers are definitely different here, versus the Northeast. There, people drive as if they have a destination in mind, and work with the other drivers so that everyone gets to they need to go. People here sit and just reach their destination whenever and however they get there, kind of oblivious to other drivers. This would bring the Northeast to a halt since it's so crowded.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I've found I-35 to be more peaceful and less congested during rush hour. There seems to be more angry drivers on Mopac for some reason.
Mopac is UNREAL!

I have driven I-35 every day for years and years, yes it is congested but nothing like the complete stop, and sitting that happens on Mopac. I'd be furious too (and there are no big trucks to vent your anger on). For the past 9 months I've had to take Mopac south from Steck one day a week at 5 pm. Just unbelievable congestion! I really don't how people who have to drive it daily cope.

We tried to buy a house in NW Hills two years ago, now I'm so grateful it didn't work out.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:47 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
[quote=eichlerfan;17891871]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans do not tolerate honking of car horns or road rage....they are courteous drivers and will allow you into traffic but than you are to resume the fast pace. =quote

I find this interesting, because I get honked at so rarely that I actually NOTICE when it happens. Different driving styles lead others to honk at one more or less, perhaps?

Old 02-20-2011, 06:08 PM

[quote=TexasHorseLady;17952010]
Quote:

I find this interesting, because I get honked at so rarely that I actually NOTICE when it happens. Different driving styles lead others to honk at one more or less, perhaps?
Well in my world putting on your directional when wanting to move over one lane, and making sure there is plenty of room to do so is just polite driving. Here in Austin I am finding that results in a car zooming up behind me and honking at me because that person will now get home just one second later than before. I think I will stick to my style of driving.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,869 times
My comments below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taphest View Post
I have been reading other Austin, TX threads trying to get a feel for what life is like in your city. I understand Austin is one of the fastest growing cities in Texas, the people are friendly, etc. However, I need to know more. If you have lived in Texas and other states, please chime in with your comparison. We are from the Northeast; however, we are a military family so we've lived all over. Please touch on as many of these areas as possible when you respond:

1. What is a typical Texan like?
Sorry, can't answer that question or I will likely get another infraction.

2. How has Austin changed (good/bad) since people starting relocating there in the past 5 years or so?

I moved here in 2003, and Austin has only gotten worse since then. The traffic and congestion is among the worst in the country, the housing costs are through the roof (central Austin), and sprawl in the suburbs and compeltely out of control, and the overall arrogance is at an all time high!

3. How's traffic?

Worst medium size metro area in the nation for congestion. Need I say more?

4. Do you foresee Austin turning into the nightmare that metro Atlanta currently is with its growing population and lack of infrastructure to support such growth?

Austin will never become HALF the size of Metro Atlanta. It has no infastruture to support that kind of growth. Metro Atlanta has a great, but overloaded freeway network, a huge international airport, and is the cultural and business hub of the southeast.

5. Is Austin a family-friendly environment?

Austin proper is among the worst for "family friendly". Most families in the area who aren't rich, end up fleeing to the faceless suburbs which are slightly more family friendly overall.

6. I will conduct my own research on schools, but rate the educational system.

Wouldn't go near any district in the city of Austin. Would stay with Leander or Round Rock ISD.

7. Compare Austin to San Antonio.

Can't really compare the two cities. San Antonio is far larger and more diverse. Austin has a more educated population overall, but that may be changing in the next few decades. San Antonio continues to expand north and northwest with a higher end population and much lower housing costs than Austin. With the continued arrogance of the city of Austin and the people of Austin, will be interesting to see what part San Antonio plays in attracting high tech over Austin in the coming decades.

8. What's the weather like?

Miserable most of the year. Summers and very hot and humid and go on for about 4-5 months. Winters are terrible as well with lots of cloudy, windy, and cold weather. Warm winter days, are almost always followed up cold weather immediately after. Temperatures in the winter months are constantly up and down which makes for horrible allergies.

9. If you are a transplant, how are you treated by Austin natives?

Because I spend so much time in Dallas, most of my good friends live up there. With the exception of some friends in my immediate neighborhood, most people I know from Austin are arrogant, and stuck on themselves. Love to badmouth Dallas and Houston and tell everyone how much better Austin is. Drives me nuts!!

10. If you are a native, how do you feel about all of these transplants invading your city?

I am a California native, and couldn't care less about people invading Austin. The quality of life will continue to go downhill because the city refuses to acknoledge anyone in Austin who isn't rich. I am heading back to California as soon as the economy will allow.

11. Is there a substantial number of military retirees living in the Austin area?

Not that i'm aware of. Most military people seem to live in San Antonio.

12. Is the Texan culture (whatever it is) adaptable?

Adaptable? Yes I believe so. Most people who move here from California have to conform quickly and change their vehicles. You must have at least one pickup and one Tahoe/ or ford expediation to be accepted in Austin. Minivans won't cut it unless you live in Avery Ranch.

13. Do North-easterners adapt well to living in Austin?

I don't know because I aint one.

14. Is Austin a diversity-friendly environment?

Overall no. Pretty much white bred in most of the city of suburbs (again with the exception of Avery Ranch where 90% of the Indians and Asians in the area live)

15. What's the number one reason people leave the area?

I don't think people have realized things yet. I suspect when the quality of life declines, that will be the number one reason to leave.

16. What are the hot jobs/ career fields?

Dont really know.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM

370 posts, read 999,424 times
Comments in blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post

9. If you are a transplant, how are you treated by Austin natives?

Because I spend so much time in Dallas, most of my good friends live up there. With the exception of some friends in my immediate neighborhood, most people I know from Austin are arrogant, and stuck on themselves. Love to badmouth Dallas and Houston and tell everyone how much better Austin is. Drives me nuts!!

If we chip in, and pay for your move, can we give you the Big Shove Off and ship you to Dallas

10. If you are a native, how do you feel about all of these transplants invading your city?

I am a California native,

AHHHH, that explains it. The Snooty Capital of the world.
Where even the cashier at McDonalds acts like she's Paris Hilton.

California, where the weather is 72 degrees year round (wink, wink)
When it gets above 73, start whining
When it gets below 70, start whining
When there's a cloud in the sky, commence whining
If there's water in the Ocean, continue whining

When the economy forces you to move from your home,
move to Austin and Continue Whining

Is it people like YOU that are making Austin more annoying ???

15. What's the number one reason people leave the area?

I don't think people have realized things yet. I suspect when the quality of life declines, that will be the number one reason to leave.

Is this why more people are leaving California, then entering it ?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin