U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 01:57 PM

4,134 posts, read 3,184,918 times

Advertisements

Come on, heat isn't that bad. It's not like the cold where you're bundled up in an uncomfortable cocoon of itchy clothes, and still have to breathe the icy air.

At least there's AC in TX. If it's in the 80s and humid at night in Hawaii, I just have to lie in bed sweating until I fall asleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 02:14 PM

727 posts, read 983,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Come on, heat isn't that bad. It's not like the cold where you're bundled up in an uncomfortable cocoon of itchy clothes, and still have to breathe the icy air.

At least there's AC in TX. If it's in the 80s and humid at night in Hawaii, I just have to lie in bed sweating until I fall asleep.
I really underestimated the heat until I lived here. The continuous weeks of high 90s/low 100s left me with absolutely no energy. I would soak my clothing with sweat any time I would go outside or drive someplace. It turned me love of summer into a hate. There is a big difference between 90 and 100.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:42 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,504,551 times
Quote:

To me its an issue between two equally bad scenarios. I absolutely hates the cold weather in MA. But I probably hate absolute hot weather of the kind that exists in Austin and other places as well. Then again, there are very few parts of the country where the weather is ideal- and all of those places are prohibitively expensive as a result.

It would be interesting to compare the number of "snow bird" relocatees in the winter when people get sick of the cold in whatever northern state they live in to the summer when the weather is hot. I'm going to guess that for an awful lot of people wanting to move because its currently cold where they live now are not really thinking much in regards to how equally bad hot weather can be.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:42 PM

16,422 posts, read 22,714,353 times
This brings something my daughter said the other day to mind. She's a Texas girl who's moved to Canada. And she said that she'd developed an admiration for the adaptability of the human body, because she had no problem at all with our 100+ degree summer stretches (which don't happen all the time, anyway), and now that she's in Canada, she realized that it was 35 degrees, she didn't want to wear her hat and scarf to work (bus, not car, so walking and waiting), and they'd left one of the windows wide open all night.

I also know lots of people from colder climes who thought they wouldn't be able to stand the heat who are out in it mornings and evenings and sometimes even mid-day, because they adapted.

Of course, some people are more adaptable than others, so you have to know yourself and know whether you're an adaptable human or not.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:52 PM

Trust me- I know all about what its like to live for months in temps that barely get above the teens. I recall that when it hit the 20's I'd go take runs in my t-shirt. I think moving to Cali ruined me because there's no adaption at all. The temps are usually just right. After 11 years here going anywhere super hot or super cold is a huge shock.

But since all of my family lives in the South we're going to have to move back to the region anyway. So might as well get used to blast-chilled air conditioned rooms again...

Old 02-17-2011, 02:52 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,739,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
It would be interesting to compare the number of "snow bird" relocatees in the winter when people get sick of the cold in whatever northern state they live in to the summer when the weather is hot. I'm going to guess that for an awful lot of people wanting to move because its currently cold where they live now are not really thinking much in regards to how equally bad hot weather can be.
Well, for one thing the term "snow bird" exists, yet a term for the opposite (people who relocate north to get away from heat) doesn't seem to. That tells me the heat must be more tolerable for most people than the cold (which matches my own perception). But neither extreme is very pleasant.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:54 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,768,420 times
Are we talking about the same place??

Sacramento is flat in the downtown area and west areas, but as you get further east, it gets hillier and runs into the Sierra foothills (folsom, roseville, rocklin). The only places in the country that have better weather than Sacramento would be in the bay area, los angeles, san diego, or santa barbara.

Sacramento could wipe the floor with Austin in pretty every aspect with the exception of jobs (for now, ask again in 5 years). It is NO more expensive to live in Sacramento than Central Austin. Club and bar scene is awesome downtown and has been getting better and better by the year. I visit at least twice yearly and have many friends there. Doesn't quite measure up to Dallas clubs/bars, but getting closer. Back in the 90's it wasn't so great back in college. Tons of huge trees everywhere, and within 2 hours of some of the most beautiful country in the world. Sierra Mountains, the gorgeous coastline, the bay area, wine country, etc. etc. etc. And MOST importantly, it's the capitol of the greatest, most powerful state in the nation, and 8th largest economy in the world.

Well Austin is close to Houston, right? OMG.....please don't make me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
No freakin' way. I go to Sac almost every other week in the summer and once you get past May, the weather is hideous. That and its an utterly flat, boring city.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:10 PM

47 posts, read 92,975 times
I know what you mean.... In most "nice" neighborhoods every block has a caricature of a closed-minded whitebread conservative with a Suburban and a GW Bush sign in his yard. You feel his hypocritical eyes judging you as he and his brood head to church while you read the NYT Sunday edition in your PJs. Sure, they're all nice, but they obviously watch Fox news when you're not around. Heck, they're actually not ashamed to live in Texas. Surely, you shouldn't have to tolerate such hate and teaparty rage.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:10 PM

I dunno Eepstein,
I don't want to argue, but I live in the Bay Area and go to Sacramento a lot. The Foothills are nice but they aren't part of Sacramento. The Foothills are 30 minutes out of town. Sacramento is in a floodplain the word " Plain" being key. As such the area is prone to severe flooding.

According to Wikipedia Sacramento gets 74+ days of 90+ degree temperatures and 15 days of above 100 degree temps. So in other words, 1/3rd of the year is spent in 90+ degrees.

Personally I'm ok with Sacramento. But you're the first person I've ever heard that said it had great weather.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:17 PM

My comment about "Nice" areas refers to the overly gentrified neighborhoods I've seen a lot of on both coasts: Usually cute old neighborhoods with cute walkable downtowns with cute city parks and so on and so on. At one time such neighborhoods were lived in by ordinary middle class and working class folk. Not anymore. Everyone in the area drives some sort of earthy or upscale car- like maybe a Volvo, Saab, or an Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc.
The area is predominantly liberal yet due to the high cost of the area its also economically exclusive. As mentioned- any means to build new housing, new stores, or new anything is struck down under the guise of Not in my backyard politics. Again- I have a hard time explaining this. But I seem to see it over and over again no matter where I live. I seem to remember driving through some Austin neighborhoods when I was there near the center of town that definitely looked and felt exactly like the sort of towns we have out here in the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin