U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2011, 10:32 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,242,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc007 View Post
"in my own mind" ....

Or that persons posts ? This doesn't sound positive....

"rick-- most places north of Austin don't tend to be hot, pollen-saturated & mosquito-y 10-11 months out of the year"

There are more ....
I can't let it stay in my head, when that poster posts them all over
the forums

But, thanks for your assessment ????
Rick,

Stay focused.

Let the OP only consider the responses posted on this thread.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 PM

1,404 posts, read 2,153,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjeepr View Post
Scorpions are all over the place but they are small and the sting is like a wasp. They will drop down from above the door as you walk into an outbuilding. Cowboy hats are only for keeping the sun and rain off your head!

Haven't seen too many centipedes but have seen large millipedes

Tarantulas are out in the hills but more in W. TX than central. Mexican reds migrate and the roads can be full of them. Must have run over a couple hundred a few years back near Ft. Stockton.

Brown recluse are prevalent

Black widows in every dark corner

Snakes are out there but you have to work to find them. 4 years of working ranches and oil fields and only found 1. Still have the rattle on my shelf.

The good news: Plenty of Axis deer, black bucks, whitetails, porcupines, Mexican eagles, etc. Wildlife everywhere and always cool to see.
Don't let this scare you away. I have lived a looooog time and have walked in the woods hundreds of times and have seen all the above mentioned animals, insects, reptiles and more but have never been attacked except by some yellow jackets when I was a kid because I was always grabbing baseballs out of the bushes, ok a few mesquito and flea bites along the way but no worries... they can't kill you.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:44 PM

374 posts, read 586,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Don't let this scare you away. I have lived a looooog time and have walked in the woods hundreds of times and have seen all the above mentioned animals, insects, reptiles and more but have never been attacked except by some yellow jackets when I was a kid because I was always grabbing baseballs out of the bushes, ok a few mesquito and flea bites along the way but no worries... they can't kill you.
That wasn't intended to scare. I love the wildlife in TX! My camera was always at the ready. Although, the half-dollar sized black widow I ran into in Brownfield had me a little spooked.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:44 PM

1,404 posts, read 2,153,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
It's not similar to Seattle. And, it's Hot, Hot, and Hot. Sorry.
Is that how you came up with your title or moniker.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:39 AM

369 posts, read 532,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Rick,

Stay focused.

Let the OP only consider the responses posted on this thread.
I'm not in a position to "let" or not "let" the OP do anything.
(hint:neither are you !)

That person can evaluate any thread, or anything they want.
So can I !

Old 02-25-2011, 05:41 PM

3,654 posts, read 2,722,577 times
"You're gonna love it!"

Old 02-25-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
"You're gonna love it!"
Amen, it's beautiful here today, Again

Was also thinking Water
Austin has a lot of water, if you like boating, kayaking ....

Old 02-25-2011, 06:06 PM

676 posts, read 918,112 times
Austin will be great for SAD. I don't think I ever suffered personally, but after moving from MN last July this is the BEST winter I have ever experienced. I was downright giddy with excitement over the weather through the winter months, and I still am. The cedar allergies, though -- I suffered miserably, but it was still not bad enough to bring down my disposition.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:52 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,762,238 times
Hip? Oh, you mean based on the media and nothing else, correct? Seattle actually IS a hip city. Austin? I'd probably have to think hard to locate a city LESS hip and cool than Austin.

Seattle has lots of problems though including high crime, horrible traffic, and sky high housing costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emememem View Post
And describe the weather, too.

I'm thinking of moving to a city nearby to join the JobCorps and was really attracted to Austin because I've hear it's similar to Seattle as far as being hip and stuff. I have Seasonal Affective Disorder, would this climate be good for me? HATE seattle for that.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Hip? Oh, you mean based on the media and nothing else, correct? Seattle actually IS a hip city. Austin? I'd probably have to think hard to locate a city LESS hip and cool than Austin.
Our resident Optimist has spoke

btw, South by Southwest is coming next month.
Our annual week long music festival.

SXSW.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin