Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:32 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 02:08 PM

172 posts, read 516,096 times
Moderator cut: off topic/persona

"Better" is subjective, but I've shown with climate facts that Austin is in fact as hot or hotter than any place in CA that you'd want to live in. Nobody needs to feel threatened by that. Austin still has it's pros.

I actually long for Fiji or Maui or someplace like that.

Last edited by Bo; 03-08-2011 at 09:38 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 02:13 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCityATX View Post
"Better" is subjective, but I've shown with climate facts that Austin is in fact as hot or hotter than any place in CA that you'd want to live in. Nobody needs to feel threatened by that. Austin still has it's pros.

I actually long for Fiji or Maui or someplace like that.
Except Barstow and Bakersfield, which obviously people want to live in because they in fact live there.

So you really haven't SHOWN any facts whatsoever.

Moderator cut: off topic This thread is about how nice the weather is RIGHT NOW, in AUSTIN TEXAS. Moderator cut: off topic
By the way, this may be confusing to you, but "this place is better to live" is not an argument you can win. It's based on personal opinion, and can vary from person to person. I am glad you got your little self esteem boost for the day though, thinking you "won" an internet argument, but there is really no win here. You can't PROVE some place is better to live.

I agree with the OP. The weather is very nice right now. And I am loving it. And it doesn't matter what the weather is in any other area of the world, b/c this is the Austin Forum, and it's Austin weather we should be discussing. Unless someone specifically asks "I live in so-and-so, how does the weather compare with Austin?"

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Bo; 03-08-2011 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-03-2011, 02:19 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Without 100 degree days, the spring-fed swimming holes, ski-boats, Margaritas, and skimpy bathing suits would be unneccessary.

Damn those hot summer days, they are the bain of our existence!

Old 03-03-2011, 04:00 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Uh Fresno and Austin have almost identical average temps around the year - Fresno having lower lows most of the time and a little colder in the winter. Austin is likely more humid in the summer.

Average Weather for Austin, TX - Temperature and Precipitation
Climate in Fresno, California

Of course Barstow is hotter, it's in the middle of the Mojave Desert. Bakersfield has slightly higher average highs in the summer, but still lower lows and who is comparing Bakersfield to Austin anyway?

Climate Bakersfield - California - Climate graph

Thanks for pointing that out. Fresno and Austin have almost identical climates, except Austin is warmer in the winter and Fresno is cooler in the summer at night. Toss up I guess. It just seems like everytime I'm there it's hotter than hades.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:05 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Hey, it's just weather. I never said one place was better to live than another. In fact, just in my last post I said "better is subjective."

I did show (with links to climate facts) that Bakersfield has slightly higher highs than Austin in the peak of summer (but likely less humid). Very few people live in Barstow. If you want to compare ALL of CA to all of Texas then why aren't we talking about west Texas?

My only point is that certain people keep incorrectly saying that CA is hotter than Austin. It is not except in a few places. The decision for most people is not "should I live in Austin or Bakersfield/Barstow."
But you didn't include Palm Springs, which is MUCH hotter than Austin, EVEN AT NIGHT.

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate...ation=USCA0828

108 with a low of 76 in Palm Springs vs. 96 with a low of 73 in Austin. There is a big difference between 96 and 108, regardless of humidity.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Many posts above were deleted. The thread is about weather and you're posting in the Austin forum. Someone mentioning a comparison to weather in another place besides Austin is not a license to make the thread about weather outside of Austin. City-Data's Weather forum is the place to do that. Accept the observation at face value and offer one of your own. A thread about the weather should not be a source of turmoil and conflict!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:23 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Today is gorgeous! I love to see everything brown turning green again! YAY!

(not looking forward to the oak pollen. yuck)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: