U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:14 PM

212 posts, read 791,842 times

Advertisements

It's just weird that for the last 25 years or so I've never thrown away paper, cardboard, glass, aluminum, etc (I put it all in our recycle bin) and here I find myself segmenting all my garbage for recycle and then realizing I'm not in Seattle anymore and tossing everything in the trash. It's just one of the those weird things you notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 04:47 PM

212 posts, read 791,842 times
Another dislike, too many panhandlers at the intersections.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:49 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,644,296 times
Wonderful thread, GANKS!

A few observations about your observations:
You chose one of the more conservative (but decreasingly so) parts of Austin metro to move to, the equivalent of Bellevue in relation to Seattle. That affects your experience.

The crickets are a seasonal thing and they only happen in certain areas. But no matter where you are in this region, you're going to get a plague of annoying critters. If you prefer cockroaches, try living near creekbeds in wooded areas, or in east-central Austin. If you like fire ants, any place with acreage and soft soil will do. Rocky places in the country for scorpions, etc. Most of the critters are at their peak right now and you'll enjoy winter here very much, especially in contrast to Seattle.

Rain? Forget about it. This is a freaky year. Be happy. This is the best summer of my 17 summers in Austin, it hasn't reached 95 yet! But if you want extremely hot sunny weather then fear not, this is an extremely abnormal year.

Recycling? Styrofoam cups? First, recycling is highly overrated. Your 8-minute commute causes more damage in one day than you can compensate for with a year of recycling. A lot of recycling ends up in landfills. Whatever DOES get recycled uses a lot of resources in the process. Recycling is largely a palliative for upper-middle-class guilt. We consume too much, we drive too much, we breed too much, we live in big houses and use too much electricity, etc.

The best way to support recycling is to make sure you buy products made from recycled materials. This is where the recycling problem lies, economically speaking. If we increase the demand for products made from recycled materials then recycling will be effective.

About styrofoam cups: They are re-usable! I use one per month, on average. I know which convenience stores still carry them. When my old one gets too skanky and worthless, I get a new 44-ounce cup and mix my green tea, Crystal Geyser, water, juice, etc., into that cup instead of stopping every day to buy a new poisonous fountain drink in a new cup. Styrofoam is a good insulator, it's longer-lasting for re-use, it's easier to hold without it slipping out of your hands, it's less likely to leak around the lid, and it doesn't sweat as much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GANKS View Post
Another dislike, too many panhandlers at the intersections.
Yeah... if only we could convince everyone to STOP PAYING THEM TO STAND AT INTERSECTIONS! If people don't pay, panhandlers will go away. We can best help the hopeless by supporting responsible methods for assisting those in need.

Last edited by TheHarvester; 07-24-2007 at 04:58 PM..

Old 07-24-2007, 05:21 PM

2,334 posts, read 5,237,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
Recycling? Styrofoam cups? First, recycling is highly overrated. Your 8-minute commute causes more damage in one day than you can compensate for with a year of recycling. A lot of recycling ends up in landfills. Whatever DOES get recycled uses a lot of resources in the process. Recycling is largely a palliative for upper-middle-class guilt. We consume too much, we drive too much, we breed too much, we live in big houses and use too much electricity, etc.

The best way to support recycling is to make sure you buy products made from recycled materials. This is where the recycling problem lies, economically speaking. If we increase the demand for products made from recycled materials then recycling will be effective.
All of the research I have done seems to suggest that this assessment is fairly accurate, but I'm not sure it's that black and white. I think some materials are more successfully recycled than others. Paper and plastic in particular, are costly and very dirty to recycle. The process of breaking down the elements into raw forms produces a tremendous amount of toxins. It's a very confusing subject that can be very polarizing and misleading. But I do believe glass is a fairly straightforward and useful material to recycle, but I could be wrong. Using recycled materials and/or re-usable materials is definitely crucial.

We've been recycling for years so I know how difficult it is to alter habits.

BTW, Penn and Teller featured recycling as one of their topics on the emmy-nominated documentary series "Bull***t" Worth watching

Old 07-24-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
...some materials are more successfully recycled than others.
Yup. I've heard (but don't know) that aluminum is also very successful as a recycled material.

One of the biggest problems with recycling is human behavior. Look in any bin that says "Newspaper only" and it will be full of every type of paper imaginable, plus some other garbage. The razor-thin profit margin on recycling the newspaper is erased by having to sort through the inappropriate materials.

Anyone who recycles, pay attention to HOW you recycle. It's better to toss stuff in a landfill than it is to pretend you're recycling by throwing all your garbage into recycling bins without knowing what's cost-effective for the companies that have to process the stuff. It doesn't all go to the Magic Green Environmentalist Fairy to be transformed into vegan meals for orphans in Darfur, contrary to popular thinking... (or was that just a really weird dream I had last night?)

Old 07-24-2007, 05:40 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,740,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
"8.no helmet law=people don't take kindly to government getting involved in their personal lives. It's that way in Colorado as well. I think if there is a helmet law here, it only applies to kids under, like, 12-15. It may be common sense, and safer, but it's also a choice, and if someone wants to risk that, it's their business"

AMEN!!
I agree which is why I am more then happy to join the exodus from California to Texas!

Old 07-24-2007, 05:44 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,740,427 times
Quote:
Yup. I've heard (but don't know) that aluminum is also very successful as a recycled material.

One of the biggest problems with recycling is human behavior. Look in any bin that says "Newspaper only" and it will be full of every type of paper imaginable, plus some other garbage. The razor-thin profit margin on recycling the newspaper is erased by having to sort through the inappropriate materials.

Anyone who recycles, pay attention to HOW you recycle. It's better to toss stuff in a landfill than it is to pretend you're recycling by throwing all your garbage into recycling bins without knowing what's cost-effective for the companies that have to process the stuff. It doesn't all go to the Magic Green Environmentalist Fairy to be transformed into vegan meals for orphans in Darfur, contrary to popular thinking... (or was that just a really weird dream I had last night?)
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TheHarvester again.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:46 PM

2,334 posts, read 5,237,687 times
Quote:
It doesn't all go to the Magic Green Environmentalist Fairy to be transformed into vegan meals for orphans in Darfur, contrary to popular thinking... (or was that just a really weird dream I had last night?)
Freakin' hilarious man...

But your right, most people forget about it once the stuff gets picked up. I know I have. I've just been too lazy too investigate it all the way to the bitter, deceiving end...most people don't have that kind of time or gumption.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TheHarvester again.
LOL, That's a pretty funny post! Thanks. Yeah, I've received that type of system message MANY times because there's a tendency to agree with the same people in different threads and I want to say "good post" to all of them. The system prevents us from spamming the reputation rankings, which is a good thing. A chat forum is a tough thing to regulate while keeping it open enough to be enjoyable. Props to City-Data admin and mods for the great job they do in spite of the likes of me.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:24 PM

4,066 posts, read 5,159,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Oh please. Abortion debate, anyone?
Awesome point! Some people hate the big, evil "black helicopter" government until they can manipulate it to meet their needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin