Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 05:36 PM

634 posts, read 1,447,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticWire View Post
Thanks for the heads up! Thankfully, we'll be staying with a friend who lives about 20 minutes away from downtown.

As for parking... THAT will be another story!
Depending on where your friend lives, you should just take the bus. If s/he lives Northwest, try the train. Heck, help the passenger numbers. Have fun listening to music! I considered one of the free shows, but the lineup is really weak this year. Last year's was waaaaay better. More music for dancing!

Be social, talk people up, maybe someone can point you to a job or knows someone. I have no experience waiting tables and/or bar tending. I tried to apply for hostess positions when I was turned away from waitress positions and the like. It's hard to spin a clerical work history into a capacity for restaurant work...but I tried. Some managers were openly dismissive when I asked to speak to them. Their loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 11:02 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
I would definitely check into the KIPP schools. It might be worth a shot. At this point, I think private schools would be a better possibility than public.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:18 PM

14 posts, read 24,565 times
Well, here I am, enjoying your fine city! Who saw that one coming? My girlfriend really enjoyed her meetings with the professors and outreach coordinators... The plot thickens.

I would be a liar if I said that my bleak job prospects weren't dampening my spirits. Moving to Austin would certainly be a leap of faith. I suppose her student loans would help pay for rent, but I was originally hoping that I could have a full or part-time teaching gig in order to prevent her (...us) from taking on too much debt.

Any idea if the new discussion about opening up the "Rainy Day" fund will increase my chances of finding a job? Does this mean fewer layoffs in AISD and other surrounding districts?

ALSO, how are the budgets looking for those other districts? I've only read about AISD and LISD's issues. As I mentioned in my first post, I would be willing to drive 30 or 40 minutes (...or a little more) away from our future apartment (within biking distance to UT; possibly in West Campus).

Oh, and I really do appreciate the advice you've all given me thus far.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:25 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
You can do like most teachers in Austin and wait tables on the side.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:33 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
The shortfall in state funding is causing pain for every school district in Texas, no district is exempt and every district that is not out-right eliminating positions will be trying to fill any opening they can from internal candidates. You can live off of students loans but its not fun. You would be right to try and find some sort of income stream as soon as possible. Service jobs, tutoring, ESL, clerical temp work, etc. good luck (please tell me that the GF isn't pursuing a humanities or social science Ph.D.? Long-term job prospects are also very bleak!)

Old 03-15-2011, 08:55 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,467 times
Quote:
Well, here I am, enjoying your fine city! Who saw that one coming? My girlfriend really enjoyed her meetings with the professors and outreach coordinators... The plot thickens.

I would be a liar if I said that my bleak job prospects weren't dampening my spirits. Moving to Austin would certainly be a leap of faith. I suppose her student loans would help pay for rent, but I was originally hoping that I could have a full or part-time teaching gig in order to prevent her (...us) from taking on too much debt.

Any idea if the new discussion about opening up the "Rainy Day" fund will increase my chances of finding a job? Does this mean fewer layoffs in AISD and other surrounding districts? ALSO, how are the budgets looking for those other districts? I've only read about AISD and LISD's issues. As I mentioned in my first post, I would be willing to drive 30 or 40 minutes (...or a little more) away from our future apartment (within biking distance to UT; possibly in West Campus).
The budgeting issues are the same for all Texas districts. It's not an issue of one being hit badly and another being missed... it's one being hit badly, one hit really badly, the next one just badly, the next one horribly... no one is in good shape and if they go from 100,000 teachers laid off to only 80,000 teachers laid off, you are still no closer to finding a job. Additionally, the losses in staff are not the only cuts proposed. They still have to make up other shortages, likely by closing schools, etc, in the next year. I highly doubt that they're going to change the staffing they've already proposed for next year, even with this news.

The losses in staff that they've proposed are huge, and more than they can likely make up just on retirees and people who resign. They've already announced that they won't be hiring externally--they'll be moving people around to try to minimize how many they have to fire (and pay unemployment benefits to and risk lawsuits from.)

I don't say this to let the wind out of your sails, but to give you a realistic idea about the current situation. Even AFTER you consider that, you have to remember that your chances are poorer than practically every UT and Texas State grad who is in town and can network while they student teach, and every unemployed teacher who has been in the Austin area for the past year subbing and networking trying to find anything.

You need to be working on a back-up plan that doesn't include a teaching gig if it's important that you two have your income. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It's just a rough patch for teachers right now.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:38 AM

66 posts, read 330,564 times
Just have a plan B, C and D. Our original plan was for me to work full-time as a teacher and take some grad classes on the side. Plan B was to take classes full-time and finish my MA quickly. We are currently going the plan B route. I am just glad we had a plan B. If we didn't I think I would feel pretty hopeless right now.

It is a wonderful city. We have both really enjoyed living here. Even with me not being able to find a teaching job I am glad we made the move.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:08 AM

509 posts, read 1,544,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
(please tell me that the GF isn't pursuing a humanities or social science Ph.D.? Long-term job prospects are also very bleak!)
I can't second this enough! As a teacher, it's going to be tough to find employment for the next several years (if not more) and, even then, it's not the highest paying profession, as you well know.

Her choice of programs now will most likely have a great impact on your financial future. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that money is the road to all happiness or that she should not pursue what she loves, but please do so with your eyes open. Many of my friends have their doctorates in psychology and, along with them, $100,000 to $200,000 in student loans. They've had to amortize them over 30 years and pay them as they would a mortgage payment. So, they have a mortgage payment coming out of their salary each month - right off of the top. This has dictated that many of them take jobs that they would have rather passed up, work multiple jobs or move far and wide to pursue any job opportunity.

As an example, I have 8 years of grad school under my belt and a doctorate in clinical psychology. My husband has a 2 year MBA in Taxation. He makes more money in one year than I would in three or four years. It all comes down to choices.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:45 AM

14 posts, read 24,565 times
Well, she'll be getting her M.S.SW. (social work). Of course we'll never be loaded, but she has picked a field that has practical options. Yes, there are always cuts in government social work, but there are also plenty of opportunities in the private sector.

I should also clarify once again that it's only a one-year graduate program. She was accepted to UT's 'advanced placement' program. Although we won't know until after she's made her decision, she may also be getting a fellowship or graduate assistant position which would reduce tuition costs to ~15K. Her professor mentioned that the admissions office gives out-of-state students a bit of priority for these fellowships. It's still not a sure thing, by any means. BUT, I suppose all of this is neither here nor there.

Last edited by EclecticWire; 03-16-2011 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Had to add a little sumptin' sumptin'

Old 03-16-2011, 12:24 PM

509 posts, read 1,544,013 times
Quote:
Well, she'll be getting her M.S.SW. (social work). Of course we'll never be loaded, but she has picked a field that has practical options. Yes, there are always cuts in government social work, but there are also plenty of opportunities in the private sector.

I should also clarify once again that it's only a one-year graduate program. She was accepted to UT's 'advanced placement' program. Although we won't know until after she's made her decision, she may also be getting a fellowship or graduate assistant position which would reduce tuition costs to ~15K. Her professor mentioned that the admissions office gives out-of-state students a bit of priority for these fellowships. It's still not a sure thing, by any means. BUT, I suppose all of this is neither here nor there.
I wish her good luck. My Dad has his DSW from University of Penn, 30 some odd years of stellar work experiences and he's been laid off for a year now. It's a tough new reality out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin