Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:59 AM

93 posts, read 683,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Learn your ABC's - anything but carpet. Austin is allergy central. Carpet is cheap and nasty: dust trap, allergen trap, filthy fast and ugly - hardwoods, stone, concrete, bamboo, even linoleum look better , plus they are easier to keep clean and look better! The advice about flooring allowance is good, but why anyone would want carpet in a house in Austin is beyond me. An invitation to mold. Revolting!!
Do some research. Studies have shown that there are fewer airborne particles with carpet than any other floor covering. I am retired from 40 years in the flooring business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 11:00 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,874,801 times
None. It is just a trap for filth.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:55 PM

A closed mind is a dangerous thing.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:03 PM

Carpet, Bacteria, Fungi, and Allergen

Synthetic floorcoverings such as carpet, ceramic tile, and sheet vinyl do not provide a food source for biological growth, although airborne biologicals do collect on these surfaces. Studies comparing the amount of surface biologicals on each flooring surface indicate no difference in biological levels among these surfaces. However, results revealed, due to contaminated cotton mops and ineffective maintenance procedures, hard surfaces could have higher biological loads, if mops are not carefully dried and disinfected after each use and cleaning solutions are not replenished frequently to limit the spread of infectious organisms. Recent studies also suggest that airborne particulates and other allergens may be higher above hard surface floorcovering due to its inability to collect and hold these airborne contaminants.
It has been suggested that carpet may be a source for airborne biologicals and allergen based on the assumption that these contaminants can be found in carpet dust. No direct relationship has been established to confirm this suspicion. In fact, the body of good science available suggests that carpet is a very effective trap, which removes these pollutants from the breathing zone. Environmental chamber studies have revealed that these contaminants are not released during normal activities. Carpet cleaning studies reveal that more than 99% of biologicals and allergen collected by carpet can be removed with one carpet cleaning. The key to limiting the biological load on any flooring surface is a regular, carefully planned carpet care regimen.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:22 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,409,050 times
Hardwood floors! With all the allergens in Austin, I hate carpet!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,818,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
Carpet, Bacteria, Fungi, and Allergen

Synthetic floorcoverings such as carpet, ceramic tile, and sheet vinyl do not provide a food source for biological growth, although airborne biologicals do collect on these surfaces. Studies comparing the amount of surface biologicals on each flooring surface indicate no difference in biological levels among these surfaces. However, results revealed, due to contaminated cotton mops and ineffective maintenance procedures, hard surfaces could have higher biological loads, if mops are not carefully dried and disinfected after each use and cleaning solutions are not replenished frequently to limit the spread of infectious organisms. Recent studies also suggest that airborne particulates and other allergens may be higher above hard surface floorcovering due to its inability to collect and hold these airborne contaminants.
It has been suggested that carpet may be a source for airborne biologicals and allergen based on the assumption that these contaminants can be found in carpet dust. No direct relationship has been established to confirm this suspicion. In fact, the body of good science available suggests that carpet is a very effective trap, which removes these pollutants from the breathing zone. Environmental chamber studies have revealed that these contaminants are not released during normal activities. Carpet cleaning studies reveal that more than 99% of biologicals and allergen collected by carpet can be removed with one carpet cleaning. The key to limiting the biological load on any flooring surface is a regular, carefully planned carpet care regimen.
Interesting, thanks for sharing that.

Just from a personally subjective perspective. I have allergies to cedar and dust mites, and don't find myself bothered any less now that we live in a house with all tile floors, then we did when we lived in a house with mostly shag carpeting. The floors in both houses got vacuumed and mopped every week, and the carpets cleaned every year.

My feed to hurt a lot more if I go bare foot much on these hard tire floors. My Dr. said that is common, you need to wear something that gives you some arch support to prevent this.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:34 PM
yam yam started this thread

228 posts, read 884,538 times
Geez guys. OP here. For reasons beyond the scope of this thread, I will be replacing old carpet with new carpet in three rooms of my house. The many advantages of various hard floorings are duly noted but they're not what I'm looking for right now.

A week after posting this question, I've got a couple of good responses and three pages of chatter from peanut gallery. Anyone else have something relevant to add?

Old 03-14-2011, 07:42 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,323,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yam View Post
Geez guys. OP here. For reasons beyond the scope of this thread, I will be replacing old carpet with new carpet in three rooms of my house. The many advantages of various hard floorings are duly noted but they're not what I'm looking for right now.

A week after posting this question, I've got a couple of good responses and three pages of chatter from peanut gallery. Anyone else have something relevant to add?

It is all going to depend on your lifestyle and what you like.

Frieze, has been hot for over 10 years.

Loop piles are not as popular but serve a purpose

Cut and loop are patterns using the different texture and light reflection off the different style of face yarn.

No matter what carpet you pick, make sure the person installing it is a CFI Certified Installer! The most important day in the life of your carpet, is the day it is installed.

Certified Floorcovering Installers :: Home

Old 03-26-2011, 11:01 PM

659 posts, read 1,751,848 times
Don't mean to hijack the thread for my own selfish purposes, but what about stained concrete?? Anyone have any thoughts about that? I've got 4 animals and 2 people + cream-colored carpet = eeewww. With the animals, I'm thinking wood/laminate might get stained (cat vomits in the morning, we don't discover it until 12 hours later...), and tile grout gets gross-looking, so I'm left with the stained concrete idea.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:15 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,059,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread for my own selfish purposes, but what about stained concrete?? Anyone have any thoughts about that? I've got 4 animals and 2 people + cream-colored carpet = eeewww. With the animals, I'm thinking wood/laminate might get stained (cat vomits in the morning, we don't discover it until 12 hours later...), and tile grout gets gross-looking, so I'm left with the stained concrete idea.
In our last home, we had solid oak floors. The cat vomited a lot, and, while I always worried that it would harm the finish, it never did. Not a stain, no change in luster, nothing. Vomit proof flooring. By the time we left, there were a few minor scratches, but basically, nothing. And one of our cats loved to slide across it all the time. I think this depends on the finish you put on the wood. Some are harder than others. Wood is easier on your feet and other joints than concrete (wood has some "give"). It also gives your house, in my opinion, a much warmer, homier feeling than concrete, which seems "cold" to me. But that, of course, is a matter of taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin