U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2011, 09:24 AM

31 posts, read 32,908 times

Advertisements

I know it may seem odd to have progressive and catholic together, but I am a recovering Catholic looking to dive back into Catholicism. Are there any Catholic churches that are a little more forward thinking in Austin or do I need to loom elsewhere? Episcopal ? Unitarian? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 09:53 AM

2,304 posts, read 3,426,764 times
Your best bet is the University Catholic Center.

- University Catholic Center

Old 03-10-2011, 11:29 AM

4,645 posts, read 6,434,139 times
Amongst Episcopal parishes in Austin, All Saints just off the UT campus would be the most progressive I think. That is certainly true historically. The Diocese of Texas, which encompasses central Texas north of Buda to somewhere north of Waco and all the way east to the LA state line and a bit west of Austin, isn't a particularly progressive diocese. Actually by national Episcopal Church standards none of the 6 dioceses in Texas is. If you want to stay in the general liturgical tradition of Catholicism, then besides the Episcopal Church you also have the Lutheran churches, but for progressive Lutheran this means the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), rather than the very conservative Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (or the even more conservative Wisconsin synod, which only has a couple of congregations in the Austin area). The most progressive ELCA congregation is First English Lutheran Church, which is also quite near UT, basically in the neighborhood called North Campus. Unitarian-Universalists, obviously, are in an entirely different tradition, both in terms of basic theology and liturgical praxis.

I agree that University Catholic Center would be the most liberal leaning RC option. However, they may have less freedom to be progressive than at one time. They used to host monthly masses for the local chapter of Dignity, but I think that ceased some years ago due to hierarchical disapprobation.

Last edited by doctorjef; 03-10-2011 at 11:37 AM..

Old 03-10-2011, 03:16 PM

31 posts, read 32,908 times
Thanks. It makes sense that the University church would be more progressive. Anyone have any experience or know about St. Theresa's?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:28 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,888,229 times
St. Theresa's is full of good Catholic families. It is not progressive by any means. Try St. Austin if you want a liberal Catholic Church.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:39 PM

4,645 posts, read 6,434,139 times
St Austin also has a bit more freedom because they are a mission of the Paulist Fathers and not under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Austin, I think. I'm actually not sure what the relation of the Bp of Austin is to St Austin (aka Augustine of Canterbury), as opposed to the Ordinary for the American province of the Paulists. In any event, it is true that they are considered somewhat more progressive or were last I knew -- I haven't lived in Austin since 2004. They had a good music program BTW, although some aspects of their liturgical customary were pretty unfortunate IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin