U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:35 AM

34 posts, read 28,183 times

Advertisements

I must say we have now used this service into downtown Austin from Leander a few times and its been fantastic, always clean , never late and good ridership numbers, the kids loved it.

Hope they increase their services as we have only used the mid-afternoon and weekend service which I believe is a new trial service.

We are deffo using this service next weekend for SXSW.

We would highly reccomend it to anyone, ditch the gas pump & parking meters and let the train take the strain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 03:59 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,467,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEANDER LAD View Post
I must say we have now used this service into downtown Austin from Leander a few times and its been fantastic, always clean , never late and good ridership numbers, the kids loved it.

Hope they increase their services as we have only used the mid-afternoon and weekend service which I believe is a new trial service.

We would highly reccomend it to anyone, ditch the gas pump & parking meters and let the train take the strain
If the train actually ran on evenings and weekends, I think more people would actually use it. At least the Metrorail is running on Fridays and Saturdays in March to please all the SXSW visitors and give them an inaccurate picture of our rail system.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:55 PM

333 posts, read 358,021 times
i can't believe the hours they run...pathetic

Old 03-17-2011, 07:56 PM

12,344 posts, read 13,962,243 times
I'm still amazed at how badly this built , and the terrible ridership numbers.....even our Rural lines are used more the Cap Metrorail.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:29 PM

4,156 posts, read 3,178,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I'm still amazed at how badly this built , and the terrible ridership numbers.....even our Rural lines are used more the Cap Metrorail.
?

You live in the Northeast, there shouldn't be a comparison. Also, have you ridden the train lately? Because if you have you'd know that the ridership numbers are no longer abysmal (much to my chagrin) and with SXSW, the trains are like daggone cattle cars, reminiscent of the NYC subway. ARGH.

I only see ridership going up with the advent of the 3.39 gasoline.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
?

You live in the Northeast, there shouldn't be a comparison. Also, have you ridden the train lately? Because if you have you'd know that the ridership numbers are no longer abysmal (much to my chagrin) and with SXSW, the trains are like daggone cattle cars, reminiscent of the NYC subway. ARGH.

I only see ridership going up with the advent of the 3.39 gasoline.
Actually i was using the non-Northeastern comparison. A decent line should at least get 5,000. Cap Metro ranks in the top 5 lowest used lines in the US.... A few ways to increase service is to have bi-direction service , direct connections to buses at most stops , weekend service.... How do you think the NE systems have increased ridership over the past few decades?

1. Cynwyd Line (SEPTA) > 553
2. Music Star line > 800
3. Cap Metro Rail > 800
4. WES > 1,100
5. North Star line 2,300

Old 03-18-2011, 08:20 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,343,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEANDER LAD View Post

I spoke with the people at the cap metro booth at SXSW. They said that sxsw will help them to pitch to the board to allow them to run weekend service until midnight. after that freight trains run. So I expect us to see night time weekend service soon.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:45 PM

910 posts, read 1,867,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Actually i was using the non-Northeastern comparison. A decent line should at least get 5,000. Cap Metro ranks in the top 5 lowest used lines in the US.... A few ways to increase service is to have bi-direction service , direct connections to buses at most stops , weekend service.... How do you think the NE systems have increased ridership over the past few decades?

1. Cynwyd Line (SEPTA) > 553
2. Music Star line > 800
3. Cap Metro Rail > 800
4. WES > 1,100
5. North Star line 2,300
1. Cynwyd Line (SEPTA) -6.1 miles
2. Music Star line > 800-32 miles
3. Cap Metro Rail > 800-32 miles
4. WES > 1,100-14.7 miles
5. North Star line 2,300-40 miles

So, by looking at the length and ridership, it appears that Cap Metro and Nashville's music star lines are doing the poorest.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:33 PM

58 posts, read 81,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I spoke with the people at the cap metro booth at SXSW. They said that sxsw will help them to pitch to the board to allow them to run weekend service until midnight. after that freight trains run. So I expect us to see night time weekend service soon.
I certainly hope so. Especially since they are charging for parking on evenings and weekends starting in August. I would love to frequent the restaurants in the downtown area but don't want to drive forever to find a parking spot and I don't want to pay for valet.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
1. Cynwyd Line (SEPTA) -6.1 miles
2. Music Star line > 800-32 miles
3. Cap Metro Rail > 800-32 miles
4. WES > 1,100-14.7 miles
5. North Star line 2,300-40 miles

So, by looking at the length and ridership, it appears that Cap Metro and Nashville's music star lines are doing the poorest.
The Cynwyd line used to get 12,000 before Septa ripped half of it up , but there are plans to restore it so it should go back to 9,000 after its restored. Cap Metro , NSL ,WES , and MSL have no excuse except bad planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin