Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:58 PM

247 posts, read 558,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyTX View Post
Garbage. The radiation leakage so far is minor. Most of it will fall to the ground as precipitation, and what does get here will be so dispersed that it will be undetectable.

I get a laugh out of my "science is important" friends scaring themselves over this. Yes, science is important, which is why you should look into the qualifications of anyone providing your scientific advice. When the 'experts' on the news have a background as an anti-nuclear activist and a manager of a 'peace fund' (as in a recent article), it's not exactly news.
Yes but 4 out of 6 reactors are going to **** and the other 2 are getting there.

Last edited by Bo; 03-16-2011 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: If you must use words that are banned here, spell them correctly so the board can render them as the owner prefers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 01:31 PM

13 posts, read 21,578 times
Blame the hysteria on the media, as usual. Last night I saw Diane Sawyer talking about the same thing on national news & there are many people who actually believe she is an expert... now that's sad...

Old 03-16-2011, 03:48 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Balloons can get here so why can't the air?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:17 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
If you going to get supplies do it because of whats up in Glen Rose and not Japan...

Old 03-16-2011, 04:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
People should have some anyway..we have 2 nuke plants up north (Glen Rose) and 2 down south (Bay City).

All it takes is one accident.
When Three Mile Island happened the government ordered 275K of KI pills only they got there 6 days after they were needed.

I've lived in Florida ..nuke plants there and now Texas ..nuke plants here.
I keep some in stock after reading about the government "delay" on Three Mile Island.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:10 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
the iodine pills only protect your thyroid--does nothing for other body parts that might be contaminated

I just feel that the Japanese with their history of no communication of failure would be the worst people in the world to admit there is a screw up in the works
I have read so many contradictory "experts" who aren't there and probably don't have any more first-hand info than we do from listening to the news
they all need to just shut up--
I read two items that made me believe from the get go that this was more serious than it was being portrayed in the media
1--the Japanese company that owns/manages these plants has been cited numerous times in the past for failure to disclose accurately about problems with their plants--where rules were not followed, where there were breaches in protocol--some of which were serious violations--
2--the GE engineer that was helping design this type of reactor in the 70s resigned his job because he said the design was being compromised for economic reasons--
that the type of containment needed in case of a dire emergency--like having an off the chart earthquake followed by tsunami --was much stronger to contain the elements if they started to burn--
which is exactly what is happening now

AND I also read a couple of stories about human error AFTER the disaster struck--not problems caused by earthquake or tsunami--but just people who did not do their jobs
one of them being the worker who was assigned the task of adding diesel fuel to a water pump to keep water pumping in to cool reactor space--
he walked away and did not put any fuel in the pump--it ran out and then it could not be restarted--
totally screwed up that system...

if HUMAN error is what has lead to this disaster then that is something totally different from the "natural" elements that caused the initial problems...

I don't trust the Japanese to be forthcoming about what happened and why things went wrong--
I think there needs to be a multi-national force of nuclear engineers in there to assess the damage
also Japanese are known for their reluctance to "think outside the box"--to do something against protocol--much more into following the rules than doing something different--and in an emergency sometimes you have to be flexible about what is the right solution to problem--vs following a chart
so it might have been a better option to make an immediate assessment of ALL likely damage to do effective triage--vs going down the steps of check 1, check 2, check 3
They thought the cooling ponds on one reactor were in danger and started to work on them when they were not really a problem AT THAT TIME-=-there were more serious problems INSIDE the rectors that they were not taking care of--
screwup #2--fairlure to prioritize correctly

so I think while they may be very brave in returning to the plant with such high levels of radiation--
I think they also have part of the responsibility for letting this get out of control--

they should have had helicopters dropping water into those cooling ponds WAY before now when the radiation is too strong--
now they will have to do it from higher heights which likely will cause more problems than benefits...

Old 03-16-2011, 05:47 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
People should have some anyway..we have 2 nuke plants up north (Glen Rose) and 2 down south (Bay City).

All it takes is one accident.
When Three Mile Island happened the government ordered 275K of KI pills only they got there 6 days after they were needed.

I've lived in Florida ..nuke plants there and now Texas ..nuke plants here.
I keep some in stock after reading about the government "delay" on Three Mile Island.
There is no magic pill.

Quote:
"One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother* gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall"

*government
Here is an interesting animated jet stream website. If you set it to show how the jet stream has moved for the last 5 days, you can see that the air in the jet stream over Japan has made it all the way to the East Coast of the US by now.

Animation of Northern Hemisphere Jet Stream Analyses

Old 03-16-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
There is no magic pill.

Here is an interesting animated jet stream website. If you set it to show how the jet stream has moved for the last 5 days, you can see that the air in the jet stream over Japan has made it all the way to the East Coast of the US by now.

Animation of Northern Hemisphere Jet Stream Analyses
If you read my post I mentioned the 4 nuke plants in Texas.
That is good enough reason to have some in stock in your home.

That's just good prep for emergencies.
I'm not worried about any nuclear cloud hovering over Austin.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:54 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I want more radiation. I am building a giant collector in my back yard (because of no HOA, I can do that) to act as a funnel.

I want to see if our scorpions, tarantulas, and snakes can grow even larger.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I want more radiation. I am building a giant collector in my back yard (because of no HOA, I can do that) to act as a funnel.

I want to see if our scorpions, tarantulas, and snakes can grow even larger.
Could you fry the fire ants while you're at it.
I don't think anyone will miss them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin