Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:49 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,946 times

Advertisements

Just consider this a good IQ test for people. It's great when people can't explain the concept of nuclear fission can't take the word of people who can. On the bright side, anti-radiation meds have gone way up in price, so I guess they have a price to pay for their opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 09:31 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I didn't say to panic. I just pointed out that it was not impossible for that plant's radiation to make its way to Central Texas. The OP seemed to imply that was not possible.

I don't buy into this mocking of the public for being worried about radiation. Radiation's an easy thing for the public to panic about. You can't see it, smell it or taste it, but in large quantities that none of us possess equipment to measure, it's deadly. Since the majority of Americans are under-educated about science, it's not so hard to figure that most of us don't know much about the hazards of radiation. Some of you are probably not old enough to remember the suspicions and fears many people had about microwave ovens when they were introduced in the 70s.

Instead of mocking, just do your part by sharing facts. We get enough histrionics and uninformed handwringing about this stuff in the media. Let City-Data be a place to be informed, rather than scolded.
OK Bo, if you want to use that line of logic, then there should be more discussions on heart disease and diabetes; but those just ain't happening!

In truth, it is quite common for Americans to Worry About the Things They Shouldn't, and Not the Things They Should!*

But I'll use this as a great excuse to go buy more guns and ammo!

Cheers! M2

* - Shameless plug for one of the best Time articles written in quite a while!

Old 03-20-2011, 10:10 PM

171 posts, read 422,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I didn't say to panic. I just pointed out that it was not impossible for that plant's radiation to make its way to Central Texas. The OP seemed to imply that was not possible.
And I pointed out that radiation measured at a millionth of background is not necessarily notable, and definitely nothing to worry about. Frankly, pointing out that radiation has made it here feeds the panic.

I'm not mocking the public, although I am pointing out that their reaction is almost completely unfounded. All of my responses have been informative, and the only people I've mocked are the self-described pro-science friends who are in a tizzy over this incident. Even that had more to do with their alleged 'pro-science' stance than with public reaction to this incident.

I feel that if someone concerned about fallout finds this thread, they may be reassured that not everyone is as wound up as they are.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." -K, Men in Black

Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 AM

171 posts, read 422,605 times
In the interest of education, here's a 'dose' of perspective...

http://xkcd.com/radiation/

Old 03-21-2011, 02:52 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Alex Jones is reporting that the fallout from the disaster can reach to, at least the West Coast, and even possibly to Texas and Chicago. This is due to the way the jet stream works.
My experience form listening to Alex Jones is that you can pretty much disregard anything that moron says.

I hope there are not people in Austin taking their cues from a lying, tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:37 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
OK Bo, if you want to use that line of logic, then there should be more discussions on heart disease and diabetes; but those just ain't happening!

In truth, it is quite common for Americans to Worry About the Things They Shouldn't, and Not the Things They Should!*

But I'll use this as a great excuse to go buy more guns and ammo!

Cheers! M2

* - Shameless plug for one of the best Time articles written in quite a while!
I'm surprised the article doesn't mention various other factors in why one might be more worried about things when there are allegedly "bigger things to worry about". For instance the two things that you mention "heart disease" and "diabetes". First, you're not honestly saying that if you were to do a search for those two items that you'd hear the digital equiv. to crickets? There is a HUGE amount said and discussed about those topics, BUT ....

- those topics affect us every day, we've been hearing about them every day
- the current "issue" with the radioactive fallout isn't an "everyday" occurrence, it's topical, it makes absolute sense that it would, for the time being, push other more "common" issues aside.
- if there was something different or new to report on those two subjects then it would come to the forefront, nothing unusual or even "wrong" about that.
- as was mentioned in the article, we can control (some better than others) the factors that lead to heart disease or diabetes so we "worry" less about it from a day to day basis (again, some more or less than others), however, if a huge black radioactive cloud floats over Austin and unleashes glowing balls of hail and radioactive tornadoes, the perception is that one is powerless to do anything about it (other than find the nearest lead lined tornado shelter)
- somewhat related to the above is the notion that even if I were a fat slob with ever clogging arteries, that I can change my behaviour and effectively reverse the process, with radiation poisoning, there is no such "out". By the time you know your hosed, there ain't no going back.

So anyway, I won't argue that such a concern is "overblown". However, when you look at the psychology of it, I think it makes total sense and isn't beyond the ordinary and isn't as bad as the article makes it out to be. Of course that's just my HO.

So do we here in Austin have to worry about fallout, hopefully not. Am I running out and buying iodine pills, definitely not. Do I personally trust those who say we need to worry, nope. Do I personally trust those who say that there is nothing to worry about, nope. I hear way too many "experts" get it wrong no matter which direction they're arguing. I just keeps my eyes and ears open, educate myself on the issue, and react in a hopefully sane and prudent manner.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:13 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
I'm surprised the article doesn't mention various other factors in why one might be more worried about things when there are allegedly "bigger things to worry about". For instance the two things that you mention "heart disease" and "diabetes". First, you're not honestly saying that if you were to do a search for those two items that you'd hear the digital equiv. to crickets? There is a HUGE amount said and discussed about those topics, BUT ....

- those topics affect us every day, we've been hearing about them every day
- the current "issue" with the radioactive fallout isn't an "everyday" occurrence, it's topical, it makes absolute sense that it would, for the time being, push other more "common" issues aside.
- if there was something different or new to report on those two subjects then it would come to the forefront, nothing unusual or even "wrong" about that.
- as was mentioned in the article, we can control (some better than others) the factors that lead to heart disease or diabetes so we "worry" less about it from a day to day basis (again, some more or less than others), however, if a huge black radioactive cloud floats over Austin and unleashes glowing balls of hail and radioactive tornadoes, the perception is that one is powerless to do anything about it (other than find the nearest lead lined tornado shelter)
- somewhat related to the above is the notion that even if I were a fat slob with ever clogging arteries, that I can change my behaviour and effectively reverse the process, with radiation poisoning, there is no such "out". By the time you know your hosed, there ain't no going back.

So anyway, I won't argue that such a concern is "overblown". However, when you look at the psychology of it, I think it makes total sense and isn't beyond the ordinary and isn't as bad as the article makes it out to be. Of course that's just my HO.

So do we here in Austin have to worry about fallout, hopefully not. Am I running out and buying iodine pills, definitely not. Do I personally trust those who say we need to worry, nope. Do I personally trust those who say that there is nothing to worry about, nope. I hear way too many "experts" get it wrong no matter which direction they're arguing. I just keeps my eyes and ears open, educate myself on the issue, and react in a hopefully sane and prudent manner.
Exactly!

Old 03-17-2012, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,016 times
Default Fallout clouds...dark or white?

The military computes fallout capabilities for up to 100 years after a minor incident. I would hate to consider the outcome of a much worse catastrophe. Even back in the days when we did our calculations with rulers and charts, it was never a pretty picture.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:55 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,826,725 times
Number of people killed or physically harmed after Three Mile Island: 0 (the subsequent law suit found a "paucity" of evidence to suggest that anyone had suffered from it directly)
Number of people killed by radiation or fallout from Fukushima: 5 (Source: The Fukushima death toll | Asian Correspondent)
Number of people outside Japan killed by radiation or fallout from Fukushima: 0

'100 years of fallout after a minor incident' ... right. There is a lot to know about nuclear power and the inherent risks, to be sure. But direct physical harm from radiation hasn't been one of them for a long time.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:07 AM

181 posts, read 305,614 times
Fukushima killed 14,000 in the U.S.

Fukushima nuclear power plant one year later: Why all the lies and deception? - National US Intelligence | Examiner.com (Sacramento Bee took the article down so below is another link to the story)

Medical Journal Article: 14,000 U.S. Deaths Tied to Fukushima Reactor Disaster Fallout -- WASHINGTON, Dec. 19, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin