Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:12 AM

4 posts, read 4,079 times

Advertisements

Hello! My friend and I are moving from Santa Barbara, CA (where we went to college, she is originally from Oceanside, CA and I am originally from Bakersfield, CA) to Austin, TX. We are looking to move in the fall and welcome any and all advice from current Texans. I am interested in a governmental or historical job and she is interested in non-profit or mediation or ombudsman position. If anyone has any idea what the jobs market in those fields, or the job market is general looks like please let us know. Also any advice on where to live (we are planning on sharing a two bedroom apartment) would be great. Any other information regarding interesting organizations, good gyms, or fun places to go would be great. Thanks in advance for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:50 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,461 times
I would only move here if there is already a job, media paints a pretty picture here and true some are hiring but loads are not and lots of folks are getting cut from teaching so you will have to fight those for jobs also come fall. I wouldn't do it without a job...

Old 03-18-2011, 10:13 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
The job market for any state or local government funded positions is looking pretty dismal. Decreases in sales tax revenues which fund these entities has fallen drastically leaving the State facing a $23 billion shortfall in the next 2 year budget. Massive cut backs and layoffs are expected. Many people who already live here are finding it very difficult to find jobs.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:13 AM

293 posts, read 730,244 times
You're really going to want jobs lined up before you move and it's hard to recommend where to live without knowing where you'll work. Also hard to recommend an area without knowing your budget. Living centrally is expensive and you don't want to drive to the other side of the city for work.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:25 AM

247 posts, read 558,584 times
I hope ya'll come from/with/have money. Last time I said I hope ya'll have jobs lined up, I got yelled at..

Old 03-18-2011, 10:30 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
Everyone is assuming that they currently have jobs/support where they are. If they are fresh out and starting from zero no matter where they go then moving sans employment isn't as big of a deal.

Others comments are certainly valid about how tough it can be to find jobs and you have several things to consider, some already mentioned and some not (how much savings do you have, how long can you go without any employment, are you willing/able to work other types of jobs until you find the specific ones you're looking for, do you have any support/friends out here, how much is it going to cost you to move (if you have nothing to move, all the better) etc).

Again, if you're starting fresh, come on out and give it a go. Austin is a great place (though not as nice as Santa Barbara IMHO, but def. cheaper) and being able to experience places like Austin is one of the advantages of youth. If your moving expenses are gas money, then what the heck, try it, and if things don't work out, move on to the next location. It's not like there are lots of other places with better economies regardless of how un-rosey things may be around here (i.e. it's all relative).

Old 03-18-2011, 11:34 AM

Thank you for your responses I definitely should have been more descriptive. We can go 4 to 5 months being unemployed (though we obviously hope it doesn't go that long!) Our moving expense is gas only and we are hoping 4-5 months gives us some time to get settled and find jobs.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:49 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVM33 View Post
Thank you for your responses I definitely should have been more descriptive. We can go 4 to 5 months being unemployed (though we obviously hope it doesn't go that long!) Our moving expense is gas only and we are hoping 4-5 months gives us some time to get settled and find jobs.
I would really think this through before you make any decision to come or not. There is a very strong chance that one or both of you will still be unemployed after that time frame. The job market is NOT good in Austin unless you have some mad Tech skills and an appropriate degree in that field. Please do not be naive enough to think this is the sort of situation where if you just work hard enough, you'll find something. In many areas, the jobs just aren't there and if by chance a scant one position comes open, the company has 200 applications by the following day. They decide to interview 3 people. You need to be realistic.

"I am interested in a governmental or historical job and she is interested in non-profit or mediation or ombudsman position."

These sorts of jobs are not the sort that tend to fall at your feet in general, and you are looking at one of the worst economic climates in recent history. Government jobs are being cut drastically. You will also have 100,000 unemployed teachers competing with you for all of these sorts of positions in the next few months--teachers who have experience and connections in Texas and the Austin area (something you don't have.)

So, if one of you can get a job lined up ahead of time and doesn't mind supporting the other indefinitely? Come on over. Austin is a nice town. But keep in mind that the THOUSANDS of UT and Texas State students who graduate every year also think it's a nice town. They usually want to stick around, they want those same jobs you want, and they have the personal connections and local references who can put in a good word that you won't have.

I can understand wanting to get out of California and move somewhere for a new adventure, but you might need to scope out a few more places and see if you can find a city where you're more likely to find work. Picking a popular college town may not be the best plan.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:26 PM

Oh wow overwhelmingly negative responses. We obviously would take any to pay the bills but I'm hearing not to come.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:41 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
Well it's always good to hear from naysayers, they _do_ have a point. But unless you can identify areas that both interest you _and_ have a better probability of finding work, then at that point you could do far worse than Austin. I'm in tech, so maybe I'm just not tuned in well enough with just how ugly things are for other occupations and I'd certainly encourage you to make a realistic assessment of what the job market truly is like here, both in the areas that you actually want, and for "fall back" jobs.

Oh, and don't confuse "negativity" with "realism". I think most folks are more interested in making sure you make a decision with the eyes wide open vs simply being negative nellies (or at least that's how you should take it )

In either case, good luck to the two of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: