Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 15,897 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving from Irvine, CA to Austin in June. I am just moving out there wihtout having a job lined up. I do have a stable job right now, but I am sick and tired of living on paycheck to paycheck. Living cost is too high here in California, and that is the major reason for relocation.

I am a California CPA with Master of Business Taxation. I do not have extensive tax background though. I have been working for a real estate management development company for five years as an accountant. I have over 7 years of accounting experience. How hard is it to find a job in Austin? What is the best way to find an accounting job? Please help me.

I read lots of posts regarding city to relocate, but most of people were concern about school district. I have 31 years old single and do not have any kids. I do not care about school district, and I am just looking for a good quiet neighborhood. What city would be idealistic?

Thank you so much for your help in advance. I am so excited to go back to Texas~!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 11:02 AM

307 posts, read 721,279 times
You are crazy to come out here without a job lined up. Search the boards, this is recommended time and time again (don't come out without a job - they are not easy to come by and lots of competition)....

Old 03-23-2011, 11:38 AM

543 posts, read 1,381,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato218 View Post
Hi,

I am moving from Irvine, CA to Austin in June. I am just moving out there wihtout having a job lined up. I do have a stable job right now, but I am sick and tired of living on paycheck to paycheck. Living cost is too high here in California, and that is the major reason for relocation.

I am a California CPA with Master of Business Taxation. I do not have extensive tax background though. I have been working for a real estate management development company for five years as an accountant. I have over 7 years of accounting experience. How hard is it to find a job in Austin? What is the best way to find an accounting job? Please help me.

I read lots of posts regarding city to relocate, but most of people were concern about school district. I have 31 years old single and do not have any kids. I do not care about school district, and I am just looking for a good quiet neighborhood. What city would be idealistic?

Thank you so much for your help in advance. I am so excited to go back to Texas~!!!!
UT-Austin had the #1 ranked accounting program in the nation last I saw and they graduate a lot of accountants. A lot of those graduates want to stay in Austin so it probably won't be easy to find an accounting job in Austin. A few months ago I was applying broadly and applied to a few jobs in Austin and never heard a peep. I have a MBA,an out-of-state CPA license, and 7 years of accounting/audit experience... but an n of 1 is anecdeotal. None the less I would not move without a job offer in hand.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 15,897 times
Thank you for your advice. I know UT is #1 for its accounting program. I am graduating from USC (#8) and it not comparable to UT, I guess. It is crazy idea to move out there without a job, but I was also told that many companies do not even consider out-of-state candidates. I have been living in Orange County, CA for 8 years now but i am originally from Dallas, Tx. Does Dallas have better outlook in term of jobs?

Old 03-23-2011, 01:13 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,528 times
Quote:
I was also told that many companies do not even consider out-of-state candidates.
Is that right? My accounting professor (who still actively practices full-time), swears that it's the one field that's always open. Everything I see/hear affirms my decision to pursue management, though.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:06 PM

554 posts, read 1,745,782 times
Quote:
Thank you for your advice. I know UT is #1 for its accounting program. I am graduating from USC (#8) and it not comparable to UT, I guess. It is crazy idea to move out there without a job, but I was also told that many companies do not even consider out-of-state candidates. I have been living in Orange County, CA for 8 years now but i am originally from Dallas, Tx. Does Dallas have better outlook in term of jobs?
Dallas is larger with more people so likely more jobs. With either city it would be helpful to know where you plan to work to avoid a 1 hour commute. Start applying and use a local address of an apartment complex or something. Ask for a first interview by phone and be ready to fly out if a proper opp comes up.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Dallas would seem to have more opportunity, you might want to post on the Dallas board and see what the locals think.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
Is that right? My accounting professor (who still actively practices full-time), swears that it's the one field that's always open. Everything I see/hear affirms my decision to pursue management, though.
It is pretty open, you just can't always find a job in every city in the US some markets are harder to break in to and some markets don't need your particular skill set. It's just like anything else.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:02 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
I'd sure be looking for the accounting degree with a 'double major' or 'minor' in management or marketing(not sure how they do that any more). IMO, accounting is still perceived as a 'science' while management and marketing are more 'abstract'. Given the job market of the last/next few years, I think both might be desirable. Back in the old days, my course selection meant I needed only two more management courses to have a double major(major'd in marketing, BTW...started in accounting but changed when I found I couldn't pass the FBI physical--long story).

Old 03-23-2011, 08:29 PM

172 posts, read 410,025 times
I would get on linked in and make contacts with some headhunters. They email me jobs quite often and I have not even reached out to any of them that I am looking. I work in austin, am an out of state CPA with 7 years experience in public (audit)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: