Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:57 PM

4 posts, read 8,197 times

Advertisements

I've made up my mind that I'm moving to Austin from Atlanta. I'm a 26 year old female that needs change & I know that Austin is the place I want to be. I have a degree in early childhood education, but to be certified in TX is much different than in GA, & would take atleast 6 months. I'm looking to move ASAP!! I have never been to Austin, do not know anyone who lives there, & I do not have a job lined up. Call me crazy, but I need to take this risk while I'm young & have the opportunity. If I do not I know I will always regret it. I'm visiting next week and am hoping to acquire a job as a copywriter/nanny/admin so that I can get established. I've been applying for jobs there since January, & while qualified, most companies prefer locals. How likely am I to find a job on my 4 day trip to Austin? Also where Is a good hotel to stay (downtown) on my visit? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 09:08 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
How do you KNOW Austin is THE place for you if you've never visited? You need to slow down and stop putting the proverbial "cart before the horse." Start by visiting to see if you really do like Austin- the people, the neighborhoods, the weather, etc. You may end up loving it or you may realize you've built up "perfect" expectations of a new life in Austin, where you will reinvent yourself and have a fabulous life in a fabulous town. If it's the latter.....realize if you're not happy where you are, you probably won't be happy where you're going either.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:33 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Well, you are visiting first and that is a good thing. You'll be better able to confirm a decision after you see what it is like. What are your chances of getting a job in 4 days here? Probably better than they would have been last year or the year before, provided you aren't looking for a teaching or government position (budget cuts going on).

As for hotel, I'd suggest using priceline -- bid on 4 star hotels downtown. No other area, no other star rating. You should be able to get one of 3-4 really nice centrally located hotels for about $90 per night or less that way. If you are looking for any other part of town, however, priceline is going to be too iffy. You might get a nice hotel or you might get something right off the highway far from where you want to be. But for downtown/4 star, priceline works well. Check biddingfortravel.com to see exactly what to expect.

Have a good visit, whether you decide to move here or not.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:35 PM

I've been researching it for a while now & grew to love what it has to offer--especially for a young, educated, active individual. I have a positive outlook on everything & will find the good in being in Austin, even if it is not how I imagined. I am very happy in Atlanta but want to try something new, so why not? I can always come back! I'd rather take a chance!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:37 PM

Thanks, atxcio great help!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:55 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austineden View Post
I have a degree in early childhood education, but to be certified in TX is much different than in GA, & would take at least 6 months. I'm visiting next week and am hoping to acquire a job as a copywriter/nanny/admin so that I can get established. I've been applying for jobs there since January, & while qualified, most companies prefer locals. How likely am I to find a job on my 4 day trip to Austin? Thanks
The chances of finding a job on a 4 day trip? Not great. You're right that most times locals have an advantage. However, don't overestimate their chances either... you may be disappointed to learn you've been banking on the "it's just because I'm not local" reasoning, only to find out that the job market is just tight. There are lots of qualified people out there. Still, come to see if it's what you're looking for and to talk to some people in your desired field to see what your chances really are.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:56 PM

144 posts, read 330,925 times
If you enjoy walkability, Austin will suit you much better. I wish I were still there rather than ATL...

Old 04-02-2011, 04:40 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austineden View Post
I've made up my mind that I'm moving to Austin from Atlanta. I'm a 26 year old female that needs change & I know that Austin is the place I want to be. I have a degree in early childhood education, but to be certified in TX is much different than in GA, & would take atleast 6 months. I'm looking to move ASAP!! I have never been to Austin, do not know anyone who lives there, & I do not have a job lined up. Call me crazy, but I need to take this risk while I'm young & have the opportunity. If I do not I know I will always regret it. I'm visiting next week and am hoping to acquire a job as a copywriter/nanny/admin so that I can get established. I've been applying for jobs there since January, & while qualified, most companies prefer locals. How likely am I to find a job on my 4 day trip to Austin? Also where Is a good hotel to stay (downtown) on my visit? Thanks
I admire your spirit and wish you all the best with our job search while and after visiting. When I was your age, I move pretty much anywhere I thought would offer me a better quality of life, and always found a job where I could support myself until I could find something better. I'm not sure if those days are gone, or if it has to do with ones attitude and expectations. In my opinion it is always easier to get a job if you are already living there, networking, and just showing up ready to work has got to be an advantage.

Austin Motel is very close to downtown Austin, in the cool SoCo (South Congress area) and very reasonably priced compared to other downtown hotels. Prices‎: $70-$96 Single; $87-$96 Double; $110-$119 Poolside And Deluxe; $146 Suite Welcome to the Austin Motel

If you want to be downtown, within walking distance of East 6th Street where most of the bars and clubs are, it will cost you more. The best deal I could find downtown using http://www.expedia.com/ (broken link) was the Hilton Garden Inn at $105/night/average.

Best wishes...

Old 04-02-2011, 05:26 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadInSuburbia View Post
If you enjoy walkability, Austin will suit you much better. I wish I were still there rather than ATL...
Wow. It must be horrible in Atlanta if Austin's "walkability" is "better". Austin's WalkScore is listed as being two points lower than Atlanta's (Austin ranks a 51, Atlanta a 53)...and Austin's "walkable" neighborhoods are pretty limited to the most expensive.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the advice! I can't wait to be there this week! I ended up using priceline & was able to get a decent price, downtown is pretty pricy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: