Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you relocated to Austin, or lived in Austin at some point, how do you feel about it now?
CURRENT AUSTINITE - POSITIVE: It was a great decision. 48 39.34%
CURRENT AUSTINITE - NEUTRAL: I like it, but there are other places I'd like. 19 15.57%
CURRENT AUSTINITE - NEGATIVE: Each day living here is agony... 10 8.20%
PAST AUSTINITE - POSITIVE: I lived in Austin, loved it. Might even move back one day! 11 9.02%
PAST AUSTINITE - NEUTRAL: Been there, done that. 7 5.74%
PAST AUSTINITE - NEGATIVE: Each day I thank God I got out of there. 2 1.64%
FUTURE AUSTINITE - See you soon, y'all! 25 20.49%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times

Advertisements

I didn't vote since I'm not in Austin.
I think it's a lot more crowded now..seems like rush hour traffic at almost anytime of the daylight hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 05:21 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,674 times
Its easy to love Austin in March. In July when its 110 its a little harder. If this is your first year in Austin buckle up and stock up on the body powder.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:16 PM

288 posts, read 717,013 times
Default No women available to date

I moved here four years ago from a much smaller town and I think it was a good decision overall. I am involved in many more activities here.

However, I plan to travel to other cities over the next few years to see if any other place would interest me more. One thing I miss (I am from the north east) is the change of seasons. I enjoy having a full Autumn (hence my user name), winter, spring, and summer. It would also be nice to be near regular beaches again, but also close enough to mountains.

I think ultimately the most important thing is the people you share your life with. I moved here for many reasons - one of them was to find a girlfriend. I have not found her yet. I am really hoping I find someone to date soon.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:42 AM

97 posts, read 182,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Its easy to love Austin in March. In July when its 110 its a little harder. If this is your first year in Austin buckle up and stock up on the body powder.
Body powder?

Explainy? (Moving to texas in early August)

Old 04-04-2011, 07:04 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Gotta laugh at the nOOBs who move to Austin...then complain about the crowds & traffic.

Hellooo McFly.....

Old 04-04-2011, 07:14 AM

732 posts, read 2,125,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Gotta laugh at the nOOBs who move to Austin...then complain about the crowds & traffic.

Hellooo McFly.....
If you're not part of the solution you are part of the problem. I do my part now by only driving to work and the grocery store once a week. Hopefully soon I will really be part of the solution and completely move out.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:38 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,049,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Much of the problem could be they are coming with very unrealistic expectations.... the way some here market it, in addition to the stream of puff-piece articles written.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
Part of the problem is that 90% of those moving here have been priced out of the "best" areas of Austin that have become too expensive over the last 15 years (yes, Austin was actually "discovered" in the 90's). A lot of people think they can move to these areas with a middle class salary, and they can't. I'm sure the same thing happens to people moving to the west coast as well - visions of walking to the beach every day, living up in the hills, etc - then comes the sticker shock. It's a let down when the expectation doesn't match up with reality in terms of where you are able to live in Austin.

The consolation, is that these desirable areas are accessible to us (Barton Creek, McKinney Falls, Lake Austin, Downtown, etc.) and for that I'm eternally grateful. Downtown Austin is an actual "destination" unlike other cities where the events are scattered over a 900 square mile area - like Dallas.

Last edited by jobert; 04-04-2011 at 09:51 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 09:35 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,495 times
Can someone please expand on what you all mean by the "crowds", independent of the traffic situation? Like, are there long lines to check out at the supermarket or what?

I'm actually coming to Austin in TWO DAYS to visit for the first time to check it out and see if I like it

Old 04-04-2011, 09:41 AM

732 posts, read 2,125,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Can someone please expand on what you all mean by the "crowds", independent of the traffic situation? Like, are there long lines to check out at the supermarket or what?

I'm actually coming to Austin in TWO DAYS to visit for the first time to check it out and see if I like it
Many supermarkets are very crowded all the time. There are a couple scattered about that almost never get crowded. I am lucky that my closest store is one that doesn't attract too many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin