Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:43 PM

58 posts, read 135,426 times

Advertisements

sinking, I second that one. If there is one good thing about Austin, it's taught me to be hyper-vigilante on the road. You really have to keep an eye on the lane signs.

Also, be prepared to sit at many left turn yield on green lights because the guy/gal in front of you won't go. I've sat through more since I moved here two years ago than I have in my prior 22 years of driving.

Oh - to clarify the almost $200 bill, that included everything: water, electric, and trash. I was living in an older rental that had very little insulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 03:25 PM

23 posts, read 57,703 times
I was mistakenly under the impression that life in Texas would be slower (read more enjoyable) than the east coast. I have never worked so hard in my life, nor been under greater stress than here. Granted this may be isolated to the tech industry, but I just wish I could enjoy more of Austin and Texas than what I currently am able to.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:31 PM

23 posts, read 57,703 times
MORE....

Funny sayings
1. words like tank for pond
2. all y'alls (that was new to me)
3. strange ways of saying Manor, Burnet, Elgin, etc and any Spanish word

The "cities" in Williamson County don't play together well. Good luck trying to get a library card if you don't live in a wilco "city".

Don't bother getting your pet licensed..... wow what a hassle!

I wish someone told me that scorpions, coyotes and snakes weren't going to be everywhere.... I was thinking I was heading into the wild wild west.

Does the coyote head on a stick really keep other coyotes away? (yes I am gullible).

Austin will melt the coldest of souls with regards to weather and awesome people!

Old 04-04-2011, 04:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
You will need more shorts.

And its OK to wear socks with sandals in wintertime.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:30 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kddowning View Post
MORE....

Funny sayings
1. words like tank for pond
2. all y'alls (that was new to me)
3. strange ways of saying Manor, Burnet, Elgin, etc and any Spanish word

The "cities" in Williamson County don't play together well. Good luck trying to get a library card if you don't live in a wilco "city".

Don't bother getting your pet licensed..... wow what a hassle!

I wish someone told me that scorpions, coyotes and snakes weren't going to be everywhere.... I was thinking I was heading into the wild wild west.

Does the coyote head on a stick really keep other coyotes away? (yes I am gullible).

Austin will melt the coldest of souls with regards to weather and awesome people!
I don't live in a Wilco "city", just Brushy Creek. Had no problems getting a library card that was good in any Wilco or Travis County library - a $25 fee for not living within Round Rock city limits.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:27 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Don't think you can walk "It's only a mile" in the summer heat and arrive at your destination fresh as a daisy. Dripping wet with sweat is more likely.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Don't think you can walk "It's only a mile" in the summer heat and arrive at your destination fresh as a daisy. Dripping wet with sweat is more likely.
Correct.

That's similar to a lot of Las Vegas tourists who think it's only a short walk down the Strip from Caesars Palace to the Monte Carlo ("but it only looks like a couple of blocks").

Old 04-06-2011, 04:42 PM

97 posts, read 182,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
And its OK to wear socks with sandals in wintertime.

....It really shouldn't be.

So sweat-wise, I break into sweats really easily (I've run competitive track since junior high, and all through college now, so I think my body just 'triggers' easily). Should I get used to wearing body armour under all of my clothes?

Old 04-06-2011, 05:20 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextstopAustin View Post

So sweat-wise, I break into sweats really easily (I've run competitive track since junior high, and all through college now, so I think my body just 'triggers' easily). Should I get used to wearing body armour under all of my clothes?
Yes. I won't even go anywhere during the day in the summer here because it is inevitable that I will soak through my clothes with sweat. Fortunately the only place I have to go is home from work.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextstopAustin View Post

I was a tennis teaching pro in the south for a couple of decades and only owned two or three 'fast-dri' shirts...UNTIL I moved out here. Most of 4-5 months will be 'quick-dry' clothing for me, since I'm still out during the day. The cotton pique shirts are not going to see much action starting about now until Sept. (Unless I start getting up before daybreak and I don't see that happening! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin