U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-30-2007, 08:02 AM

39 posts, read 175,624 times
Default Natural disasters in or around Austin?

I was just curious about natural disasters around Austin. Are hurricanes a threat to Austin and its suburbs, or is it too far inland? Is there any danger of tornadoes in that area or it far enough South to be out of harm's way? Anything else I am not thinking of that poses a threat to that area? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 08:38 AM

8,629 posts, read 15,990,422 times
Hurricanes don't really affect Austin. Note that Houston hasn't had a hurricane hit since the 1980's. (Excepting the ones that just hit near Louisiana, but those were not Houston and did not affect Austin at all). My mom lives in Clear Lake, and they were made to evacuate here, and nothing happened to Houston at all. Tornadoes can happen around Austin, but are more common North (like Jarrell, which is in tornado alley). I live in Hutto, and it is said tornadoes can hit here, but haven't seen it so far. They usually happen a little further North of us. No earthquakes so far as I know, although there is a fault line. Sometimes in January or February the roads can get icy, and that can shut the city down since it's not equipped to handle it. But who cares about getting an "ice day" every so often? This has been an unusually wet summer. Probably won't happen again anytime soon and it's been long overdue. It can flood in certain areas and you really have to avoid the low water crossings. They are now penalizing and fining people for ignoring the warning signs and making them reimburse the city for the cost of their rescue, which I think should have been happening all along. For your own safety, please don't drive in high water. Even if you don't get swept away, you can kill your car. People do this in Houston alot too. (also prone to flooding).

Old 07-30-2007, 09:01 AM

39 posts, read 175,624 times
Thank you so much!! What a wonderfully informative post! I really appreciate it. I am currently in California and was at the epicenter of the Northridge earthquake. I think the PTSD from that has left me really concerned about natural disasters in all forms! LOL.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:15 AM

8,686 posts, read 17,634,553 times
Austin is toward the southern end of 'Tornado Alley'. We do get tornados, but they are relatively rare and seldom do they touch down or stay touched down. Most infamously, Jarrell, about 50 miles north of Austin, has had two extremely deadly tornados, but that is rather the exception. It is all probability, and this is a significantly lower probability density area than further north.

As for hurricanes - you will never have to evacuate for a hurricane this far inland, but you may experience some of the effects. Damaging winds and flooding rain can be caused by hurricanes that hit in the 'right' area of the coast (usually, somewhere south of Houston), but again, these are somewhat similar to spring storms anyway, just maybe a little worse.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:33 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,548,721 times
Default More questions about flooding!

It seems every other day on the national weather reports there is mention of extreme flooding in Central Texas along with reports of huge downpours. I know the media likes to play up the disaster stories, but how bad is it in and around the Austin area?

Love roses mentioned avoiding the low water crossings. How easy are they to spot and are there signs posted for it like railroad crossings? Can one find an alternate route easily?

Old 07-30-2007, 05:54 PM

19 posts, read 58,081 times
Austin floods every year. Like down on Lamar around 6th street area, it seems to flood there every year. There are some parts of Austin that seem to flood at least once a year. The city has been trying to improve on the low water crossings. They have some railroad like signals at some places but I had heard of some not working and it's a huge fine if you do cross them. Usually they will just close the road off. This year has been a rare year for rain. I have been here 15 yrs and don't remember it raining so much since I've been here. It's usually sticky hot and drought conditions. Usually you can only water on certain days of the week.
Hail is about the worst here! I have never seen it hail like it does here. I don't think we have had any significant hail this year.
We usually only get rain effects from hurricanes.
I've been keeping track and Austin usually gets hit with a good ice storm about every 3 years. This year i think it hit in January and before that it was Feb. 14th of 2004.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:50 PM

8,629 posts, read 15,990,422 times
This year, the ones without RR like signals were blocked off by cones and city workers... At least, where I am at and in Georgetown. It would be a great idea if they'd do like the mountain states do and put up bars that can be closed to block the road like they do there when it is too windy or the snow is too deep or too icy.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:04 PM

1,038 posts, read 2,618,948 times
Nothing exciting ever happens here. We get an icy day or two in the winter, some storms and flooding in the Spring/Early Summer, and a couple of hail storms, but that's about it. Nothing that's going to knock your house over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin