Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 01:17 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,815,851 times

Advertisements

The bottom line is that traffic sux here and will just keep getting worse until the leaders make some very difficult and costly decisions. We all know what they are, they are the silent elephant(s) in the room, but without those changes the traffic will still keep getting worse...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 01:27 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,968,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye5b View Post
People are leaving Austin in droves, according to new report | All Ablog Austin

SH-130 Fail

Even An 85 MPH Highway Can't Fix Austin's Traffic Tangle : NPR

What I love is that another issue is that in most lanes in the US the left generally means on a one way street means you will be able to go straight, same with the right lane. But not here in Texas, so everyone gets stopped up in a single middle lane bc of some poor engineering choices, whoever chose to do that.

Oh and I forgot to add that one of my major pet peeves with Texas roads in general is when a lane ends or when a lane is a turn only lane, there is NO NOTICE, none whatsoever, no signs or anything. That is very, very poor imo, this is the first state that I have ever visited in, where they don't tell you when a lane is ending or when you need to merge, or when a lane turns into a turn lane or you are going straight, this is the only place I have driven where they don't tell drivers what is going on.

It seems like to me that Texas never learned how to build a proper highway system at all. Just look at the Highways all along the east coast. That is one of the best highway systems there are. I can think of two interstates that go all the way from the north to the south.

The on and off ramps here are very dangerous and induces traffic jams.

One of my questions is why are Texans in general very sensitive to criticism when everyone can see that these are obvious flaws (especially the highway system). Why not take those criticisms and go to work and fix them. I mean that is what we do at our workplace right?

Nation

From this article you can see how many highways are in place on the east coast, and there are so few here. So you can see why I say the highway system is ten times better on the east coast.

Maybe Austin could use this PDF:

https://www.planning.dot.gov/documen...ctices_MTP.pdf
Uh, this thread is 4 years old. And your articles are 3 months old (and wrong) and 4 years old.

What are you really adding to this conversation?

Old 04-21-2017, 03:44 PM

12,893 posts, read 13,217,652 times
Texas 130 from 45 South up to Round Rock was pretty crowded at mid afternoon today. In fact between 71 & Round Rock it was packed. No telling what it'll be like between now & 6:30pm. It's been slow & go there before when we've driven it. Lunch at the Gristmill in Gruene was very pleasant today.

I'm glad to see "they" are planning to add a 3rd lane each way between 71 & 290 soon. IMO, they should add a 3rd lane each way from 45 South to Georgetown. It's needed right now. In fact if "they" were smart, "they" should add two new lanes each way. And I-35 should have 4 lanes each way from San Antonio to Denton (with 5 lanes each way approaching the major cities along the corridor). No doubt about it.

Anyone who says 130 isn't used or doesn't give relief to I-35 in downtown Austin just doesn't know what they are talking about. Same for 45 North from 130 west over to 183. It's a godsend for most of the day, but is getting very crowded at rush hours.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:01 PM

224 posts, read 294,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Texas 130 from 45 South up to Round Rock was pretty crowded at mid afternoon today. In fact between 71 & Round Rock it was packed. No telling what it'll be like between now & 6:30pm. It's been slow & go there before when we've driven it. Lunch at the Gristmill in Gruene was very pleasant today.

I'm glad to see "they" are planning to add a 3rd lane each way between 71 & 290 soon. IMO, they should add a 3rd lane each way from 45 South to Georgetown. It's needed right now. In fact if "they" were smart, "they" should add two new lanes each way. And I-35 should have 4 lanes each way from San Antonio to Denton (with 5 lanes each way approaching the major cities along the corridor). No doubt about it.

Anyone who says 130 isn't used or doesn't give relief to I-35 in downtown Austin just doesn't know what they are talking about. Same for 45 North from 130 west over to 183. It's a godsend for most of the day, but is getting very crowded at rush hours.
No doubt its getting crowded, but I don't think paying almost $2/mile is worth it, if it was like other tolls outside of Texas then more truckers might take it, but to me $2/mile is like highway robbery (pun intended). But in all honesty if you look at other cities of the same size (or relative size), none of them have the traffic problems that Austin has.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The bottom line is that traffic sux here and will just keep getting worse until the leaders make some very difficult and costly decisions. We all know what they are, they are the silent elephant(s) in the room, but without those changes the traffic will still keep getting worse...
Totally agree, to me its not worth it if I have to spend more than half my day in traffic if I want to go to a ball game or go to the lakes or go to even San Marcos. It's just not enjoyable when you can't get to where you need to be it a decent amount of time.

It's just not worth it. To me there are too many other options to live elsewhere that don't have traffic problems, so why stay here?

Honestly I think one of the fastest ways to solve their problems is build an effective transit system. Buses aren't the way to produce efficient transportation. You either have to go with a subway, or go with a railway where the lines are primarily only used for public transportation.

But I feel like people and city politicians are still stuck in the past and I don't see any immediate relief coming soon.

Last edited by Buckeye5b; 04-21-2017 at 04:30 PM..

Old 04-21-2017, 04:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,250,167 times
Quote:
People are leaving Austin in droves, according to new report | All Ablog Austin

SH-130 Fail

Even An 85 MPH Highway Can't Fix Austin's Traffic Tangle : NPR

What I love is that another issue is that in most lanes in the US the left generally means on a one way street means you will be able to go straight, same with the right lane. But not here in Texas, so everyone gets stopped up in a single middle lane bc of some poor engineering choices, whoever chose to do that.

Oh and I forgot to add that one of my major pet peeves with Texas roads in general is when a lane ends or when a lane is a turn only lane, there is NO NOTICE, none whatsoever, no signs or anything. That is very, very poor imo, this is the first state that I have ever visited in, where they don't tell you when a lane is ending or when you need to merge, or when a lane turns into a turn lane or you are going straight, this is the only place I have driven where they don't tell drivers what is going on.

It seems like to me that Texas never learned how to build a proper highway system at all. Just look at the Highways all along the east coast. That is one of the best highway systems there are. I can think of two interstates that go all the way from the north to the south.

The on and off ramps here are very dangerous and induces traffic jams.

One of my questions is why are Texans in general very sensitive to criticism when everyone can see that these are obvious flaws (especially the highway system). Why not take those criticisms and go to work and fix them. I mean that is what we do at our workplace right?

Nation

From this article you can see how many highways are in place on the east coast, and there are so few here. So you can see why I say the highway system is ten times better on the east coast.

Maybe Austin could use this PDF:

https://www.planning.dot.gov/documen...ctices_MTP.pdf
Excuse me, but one of my pet peeves is the people that ignore the VERY OBVIOUS signs saying "Lane ends, merge right" (or left), or the lane for turn only signs. They really are there and they really are obvious and in the case of lanes that are for turn only often there is a sign before to give you time to get out of the lane AND the allowed directions are painted right on the street in big white letters/arrows. Might you be one of those people? That's not a Texan being sensitive but a Texan wondering if your eyesight really is good enough to have a driver's license and worrying that someone who can't see those very clear markings might be sharing the road with them.

I35, by the way, goes from Mexico to Canada. It was a Texan (Dwight Eisenhower) who was responsible for the interstate system in the first place, for both traffic and military reasons.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Excuse me, but one of my pet peeves is the people that ignore the VERY OBVIOUS signs saying "Lane ends, merge right" (or left), or the lane for turn only signs. They really are there and they really are obvious and in the case of lanes that are for turn only often there is a sign before to give you time to get out of the lane AND the allowed directions are painted right on the street in big white letters/arrows. Might you be one of those people? That's not a Texan being sensitive but a Texan wondering if your eyesight really is good enough to have a driver's license and worrying that someone who can't see those very clear markings might be sharing the road with them.

I35, by the way, goes from Mexico to Canada. It was a Texan (Dwight Eisenhower) who was responsible for the interstate system in the first place, for both traffic and military reasons.
Ie sensitive person above. Have you ever driven outside of Texas? Btw I'm not the only one that complains about them and these are people that haven't lived here their whole lives either. So I guess everyone else is wrong too right? Geez get over yourself.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:00 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,815,851 times
Quote:
Totally agree, to me its not worth it if I have to spend more than half my day in traffic if I want to go to a ball game or go to the lakes or go to even San Marcos. It's just not enjoyable when you can't get to where you need to be it a decent amount of time.

It's just not worth it. To me there are too many other options to live elsewhere that don't have traffic problems, so why stay here?

Honestly I think one of the fastest ways to solve their problems is build an effective transit system. Buses aren't the way to produce efficient transportation. You either have to go with a subway, or go with a railway where the lines are primarily only used for public transportation.

But I feel like people and city politicians are still stuck in the past and I don't see any immediate relief coming soon.
Yep that's the elephant in the room I was talking about. We can ignore it for a while but not forever...

Old 04-21-2017, 07:44 PM

375 posts, read 316,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

I've been using 45 from 183 over to 35 a lot the last few weeks during rush hour! All I can say is WOW at the volume of traffic. My husband drives 130 coming up from south Austin and says it's packed some days. 183 to 45 to loop 1 used to be my easy, relaxing, and alternative route into work. Not anymore...

Old 04-22-2017, 06:45 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,250,167 times
Quote:
Ie sensitive person above. Have you ever driven outside of Texas? Btw I'm not the only one that complains about them and these are people that haven't lived here their whole lives either. So I guess everyone else is wrong too right? Geez get over yourself.
Yes, I have driven outside of Texas. Not quite sure what that has to do with your complaint about the non-existence of very clear signage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin